Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Clans of Caledonia» Forums » General

Subject: Starting coins? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules don't specify! I checked like 4 times.

Tabletopia gives you a bag of 55 coins, is that what you start with?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cunningham
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Your starting goods and coins are listed on the "starting goods" tiles. There is a small "55" on the starting goods tiles that indicates that everyone gets those 55, on top of whatever else is shown in the tile. The rules don't mention starting money specifically, because SOME starting tiles actually give you 5 more money to start with in addition to the 55.



There is probably some confusion because until a few days ago, the small "55" wasn't on the starting tiles in Tabletopia. The graphics were updated recently, and this makes clear that what you start with is everything on the starting tile... and the bag already has 55 in it.

I hope this helps!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thank you! This game is AH MAY ZEEN
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AS clan MacKenzie, can I place my starting Whiskey in my cellar right away?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
St-Bruno-de-Montarville (Near Montreal)
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gipyls wrote:
Your starting goods and coins are listed on the "starting goods" tiles. There is a small "55" on the starting goods tiles that indicates that everyone gets those 55, on top of whatever else is shown in the tile. The rules don't mention starting money specifically, because SOME starting tiles actually give you 5 more money to start with in addition to the 55.



There is probably some confusion because until a few days ago, the small "55" wasn't on the starting tiles in Tabletopia. The graphics were updated recently, and this makes clear that what you start with is everything on the starting tile... and the bag already has 55 in it.

I hope this helps!


Wouldn't it be more clear to actually have only one large coin with you starting money on it insetad of the basic 55 and another 5 beside it? So in this case, only one large 60$ coin on it, but most of them could be the usually 55$.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cunningham
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ReluctantFr0g wrote:
AS clan MacKenzie, can I place my starting Whiskey in my cellar right away?


Excellent question. I'll have to defer to Juma to confirm/deny, but I think no because Rulebook says(emphasis mine):
V4 Rulebook wrote:
In each Production phase Whisky barrels that are already in
the cellar age and are moved one spot to the right. The Whisky barrel starting in the rightmost space of the cellar is immediately placed into your stock. You may then put one freshly produced Whisky in the cellar on the left spot so it can age.


This follows the same reasoning that you can't add whisky you buy at the market to your cellar... only whisky you produce during production phase.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cunningham
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cerberus777 wrote:
Wouldn't it be more clear to actually have only one large coin with you starting money on it insetad of the basic 55 and another 5 beside it? So in this case, only one large 60$ coin on it, but most of them could be the usually 55$.


I could see either way, but I think it's cleaner this way because each tile's UNIQUE aspects are highlighted in the center of the tile. Everyone always gets 55 coins at least, so that's not information you're really trying to discern about the tile.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gipyls wrote:
[q="ReluctantFr0g"]AS clan MacKenzie, can I place my starting Whiskey in my cellar right away?


Excellent question. I'll have to defer to Juma to confirm/deny, but I think no because Rulebook says(emphasis mine):
V4 Rulebook]In each Production phase Whisky barrels that are already in
the cellar age and are moved one spot to the right. The Whisky barrel starting in the rightmost space of the cellar is immediately placed into your stock. You may then put one freshly produced Whisky in the cellar on the left spot so it can age.[/q wrote:


This follows the same reasoning that you can't add whisky you buy at the market to your cellar... only whisky you produce during production phase.


Ah, yes the "freshly produced" makes me agree with you, thanks!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also I see there is no sugar cane counter on tabletopia? Is that an error or am I missing something?

I have cotton, hops, and tobacco counters, but nothing resembling sugarcane.

I am just using a coin to represent it for now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
St-Bruno-de-Montarville (Near Montreal)
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gipyls wrote:
Cerberus777 wrote:
Wouldn't it be more clear to actually have only one large coin with you starting money on it insetad of the basic 55 and another 5 beside it? So in this case, only one large 60$ coin on it, but most of them could be the usually 55$.


I could see either way, but I think it's cleaner this way because each tile's UNIQUE aspects are highlighted in the center of the tile. Everyone always gets 55 coins at least, so that's not information you're really trying to discern about the tile.


I agree on this. It's just that if the starting money was not on the tile, it make sense to see 5$, as it's 5$ more for not having a good. So, maybe the starting money should just be in the rules and not on the tiles. Anyway, it's nothing major!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
St-Bruno-de-Montarville (Near Montreal)
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ReluctantFr0g wrote:
Also I see there is no sugar cane counter on tabletopia? Is that an error or am I missing something?

I have cotton, hops, and tobacco counters, but nothing resembling sugarcane.

I am just using a coin to represent it for now.


There is no hops counter. All hops is just worth 1VP at the end of the game so no need to need track of this one.

See this picture here:

The sugar cane tokens is the rightmost token near the start of the export Board.


EDIT: Added the image.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cerberus777 wrote:
ReluctantFr0g wrote:
Also I see there is no sugar cane counter on tabletopia? Is that an error or am I missing something?

I have cotton, hops, and tobacco counters, but nothing resembling sugarcane.

I am just using a coin to represent it for now.


There is no hops counter. All hops is just worth 1VP at the end of the game so no need to need track of this one.

See this picture here:

The sugar cane tokens is the rightmost token near the start of the export Board.


EDIT: Added the image.




Oh my gosh. I totally missed this. It all makes sense now. *hangs head in shame*


Thank you!!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ReluctantFr0g wrote:
gipyls wrote:
[q="ReluctantFr0g"]AS clan MacKenzie, can I place my starting Whiskey in my cellar right away?


Excellent question. I'll have to defer to Juma to confirm/deny, but I think no because Rulebook says(emphasis mine):
V4 Rulebook]In each Production phase Whisky barrels that are already in
the cellar age and are moved one spot to the right. The Whisky barrel starting in the rightmost space of the cellar is immediately placed into your stock. You may then put one freshly produced Whisky in the cellar on the left spot so it can age.


This follows the same reasoning that you can't add whisky you buy at the market to your cellar... only whisky you produce during production phase.
[/q wrote:


Ah, yes the "freshly produced" makes me agree with you, thanks!!


I asked this same question of Juma. The answer was no, you have to wait for the Production Phase.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished my first two player game. Blue 87 and Red 82, so close!

Really fun, intuitive, and a lot to think about. Didn't even get into neighboring bonuses since we stayed away from each other to kind of test the waters.

Will be playing again!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juma Al-JouJou
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
This was exactly the reasoning. I wanted to highlight the differences. And I didnt want players to have to consult the rulebook to see how much starting money they get.


gipyls wrote:
Cerberus777 wrote:
Wouldn't it be more clear to actually have only one large coin with you starting money on it insetad of the basic 55 and another 5 beside it? So in this case, only one large 60$ coin on it, but most of them could be the usually 55$.


I could see either way, but I think it's cleaner this way because each tile's UNIQUE aspects are highlighted in the center of the tile. Everyone always gets 55 coins at least, so that's not information you're really trying to discern about the tile.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bannister Nicholas
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried twice to play this game with friends, who think its too hard, because we started with 0 cash. No where in the rules does it say starting cash, we ignored the page three rule to buy opening workers, and thought it was like "first turn" learn the basics before doing everything. Of course we were playing simple with no clans, so we didn't take the starting clans good tiles. Face-palm.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BaneStar007 wrote:
I tried twice to play this game with friends, who think its too hard, because we started with 0 cash. No where in the rules does it say starting cash, we ignored the page three rule to buy opening workers, and thought it was like "first turn" learn the basics before doing everything. Of course we were playing simple with no clans, so we didn't take the starting clans good tiles. Face-palm.


How did the game go, if no one had any seed money?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patox wrote:
BaneStar007 wrote:
I tried twice to play this game with friends, who think its too hard, because we started with 0 cash. No where in the rules does it say starting cash, we ignored the page three rule to buy opening workers, and thought it was like "first turn" learn the basics before doing everything. Of course we were playing simple with no clans, so we didn't take the starting clans good tiles. Face-palm.


How did the game go, if no one had any seed money?

Yeah, how do you even do anything if you start with 0 money?!

Turn 1 would consist of everyone claiming a Contract, maybe doing one of the 4-cost upgrades, and passing.

Because without starting Goods you have no other way to generate money on that first turn, and everything other than obtaining a contract costs money.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.