Subject: Other "story moment" games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Doe
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've enjoyed playing this with my kids (8 and 10) and they really love the narrative component of the "story moments". We're about to finish up the last expansion and I was wondering if folks are able to recommend other games that offer similar narrative development? I'm thinking of trying the D&D Adventure Series, but that seems a bit light on story.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be too dark for them, but the Arkham Horror card game is great in this regard. Honestly though, the themes in the M&M story are more adult, just a little less, I dunno, creepy? Sanguinary?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Helme
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Middara is pretty much a more advanced version of the Mice and Mystics design. There is plenty of narrative between the Encounters in the game, much more than Mice and Mystics, and the story can change in dramatic ways based on player choice and performance. There will also be an app for the game that basically serves as an audiobook for the different sections of narrative.

However, the content is more PG-13 than Mice and Mystics, so there is that to consider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Yang
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played any of the following games, but I know they have strong story elements to them:

Of Dreams & Shadows (2016)
Tales of the Arabian Nights (2009)
Above and Below (2015)
Agents of SMERSH (2012)
T.I.M.E Stories (2015)

I've played this: Mythos Tales (2016) though it may be too dark for the kids.

I think Above and Below or Tales Of Arabian Nights would be good choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted W
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
Sight beyond sight!
badge
*Shrug* Wampas, am I right?
mbmbmbmbmb
For those ages, Above and Below, would be a good fit. It's story-driven in a very different way than Mice and Mystics, though - and there's no tactical combat, and no "you control this one character".

Perhaps consider the Mouse Guard RPG, (to continue the mouse theme) or Dungeons and Dragons starter set?

See this thread on RPGGeek too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Glassman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an "Above & Below" fan, I can vouch for it. It's a fun game, and would be suitable for the family. However, they're not really story moments more like "choose your own adventure mini-puzzles". They are interesting but don't fill the story, narrative, EPIC, feel like M&M does. Above and Below would be good for a casual family night though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Legends of Andor. It's co-op and has lots of story. It has some monsters, but I'd still call it a family friendly game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Burbidge
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloomhaven actually has those story moments, where certain actions in a scenario trigger reading a story moment from the book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The modules in Myth have a very immersive story to them, but that game is significantly more complicated than Mice & Mystics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.