Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert P
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got my copy of Garden Competition and can't wait to try it out. I'm not really a fan of Euro Games in general but the theming of this game really drew me in. I know it probably wasn't intentional by the designer's part, but I'm also a fan of the minimalistic artwork and simplistic graphic design incorporated into this game.

I've read the rules a few times over and I believe I have a pretty good understanding of how this game will play out at least mechanics-wise. I do think there may be a few "issues" that have already been addressed in other threads:

1.) Mulch seems to either be too weak as far as it's usefulness is concerned, OR it is priced too highly (probably shouldn't be priced the same as flowers that take up the same "real estate" so to speak).

2.) If all players collude (or figure out after one or two plays just how powerful/fast weeds spread) to remove weeds, then weeds will not be an issue at all.

I like the potential for weeds to get out of control and be everywhere, but knowing the people I play games with, they will min/max this game as best they can and probably nip the weed issue in the bud as soon as they pop up in Round 7.

Has anyone come up with any house rules that "fix" the mulch and weed issues? Is there a way to randomly have weeds spawn or somehow prevent them from being eliminated as soon as they appear?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good observations. My usual opponents in this game collaborate to squelch the weeds, but they are the main reason to play the game, in my opinion, so I take some to keep it interesting.

Mulch is not particular desirable unless the options you want are gone and weeds are rampant.

The funny part about the weeds is that it takes only one turn of neglect for them to get going, and then they get very troublesome. I would guess that the "solution" house rule would be to add one random weed per player in setup, so there is one weed too many (if I recall correctly) for perfect removal.

Mulch… ehhhh….
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.