Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
If you want to read more about this new Catalyst Game Labs deck-builder, here are several news reports about it.

Catalyst Game Labs update
Quote:
Catalyst Game Labs—publisher of the seminal BattleTech and Shadowrun games—is exceptionally excited and honored to publish Dragonfire, a cooperative deckbuilder game based on the Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game.

Dragonfire combines the vast lore of the D&D universe with the fast play of a deckbuilding game. Players choose from several classic fantasy races, from dwarf to elf, half-orc to human, and assume one of the quintessential roles of cleric, rogue, fighter, or wizard. Equipped with weapons, spells, and magic items, players begin their adventure along the famed Sword Coast, then journey to other Forgotten Realms locales, such as Baldur’s Gate, Neverwinter, and Waterdeep, in future expansions. Along the way, they can level up their characters, find additional equipment, learn new feats, and much more.

Dragonfire is built on the award-winning, critically acclaimed Shadowrun: Crossfire game engine. Crossfire’s roots are in Shadowrun, one of the most enduring roleplaying settings of all time. Adapting that engine to Dungeons & Dragons is an exciting opportunity to build new ways for players to experience both quick adventures and long-term campaigns in this legendary high-fantasy setting. And at every step, Catalyst has worked hard to remain true to D&D lore. When players open a copy at the table, regardless of what they enjoy playing—RPGs, deckbuilder games, or both—they’ll find a complete box of fun.

“Developing Dragonfire has been an amazing endeavor and a new high-mark for all of us at Catalyst,” said Randall N. Bills, Managing Developer of Catalyst Game Labs. “Like so many in our hobby, the first immersive game I played was D&D. To have the opportunity to add to that immense and amazing body of work…I’ve sat back several times in the midst of piles of D&D books and huge spreadsheets and just marveled at what we’re doing with such a storied game. If that’s not enough, the team at Wizards of the Coast has simply been fantastic to work with, helping ensure that we remain true to the world of D&D itself, but never at the cost of the overall game design.”

Look to www.dragonfirethegame.com in the future for more details on Dragonfire!

Dungeon & Dragons Product Overview
Quote:
Seize the Adventure!

Dragonfire is a 3 to 6 player deckbuilding game set within the world's greatest roleplaying game, Dungeons & Dragons. Players choose from several classic fantasy races, from dwarf to elf, half-orc to human, and assume one of the quintessential roles of cleric, rogue, fighter, or wizard. Equipped with weapons, spells, and magic items, players begin their adventure along the famed Sword Coast, then journey to other Forgotten Realms locales, such as Baldur’s Gate, Neverwinter, and Waterdeep, in future expansions. Along the way, they can level up their characters, find additional equipment, learn new feats, and much more.

Join the quest, and build your own legend!

Deckbuilder Game

A deckbuilder game starts each player with a small deck. Then, during the game, players acquire cards—usually from a large, common selection—that build their deck during play. This provides a dynamic, changing style that makes each game experience new.

Item details

Price: $59.99
Release Date: Coming Soon

ICv2 news report
Quote:
Catalyst Game Labs has teamed up with Wizards of the Coast to produce Dragonfire, a cooperative deck building game based on the Dungeons & Dragons role playing game.

Dragonfire is based on Catalyst’s Shadowrun: Crossfire game engine (see “‘Shadowrun: Crossfire’ This Fall”), reworked for the fantasy setting of Dungeons & Dragons and the races and character classes familiar to fans of that game. In the first set, players will adventure in the Sword Coast region of the Forgotten Realms.

The game is designed so it can be played as quick one-off adventures, or multiple plays can be linked together into a longer campaign, with characters developing from game to game as they “level up,” acquire new equipment, and learn new abilities. To support the campaign feature, Catalyst plans to release a series of expansions, including Wondrous Cache, featuring new magic items, Heroes of the Sword Coast, with new character races and classes, and Encounters: Dragonspear Castle, which will offer new adventures, encounters, and treasures. Catalyst will be developing a “meta plot” with future expansions, extending the game’s storyline from set to set.

The first Dragonfire boxed set will include five different Encounter decks, a Market deck, and a deck of magic items, as well as character cards and adventure cards. A booklet will provide a variety of adventures, while tokens, plastic clips, and sticker sheets are provided to record character progress. The game is intended for 3 to 6 players. MSRP is $59.99. Release date was not announced.

Thread from Jay Schneider in the Shadowrun: Crossfire forums here on BGG.

New report from Eric Martin on the BGG News feed.
New Game Round-up: Deck-Building Comes to Dungeons & Dragons

The game has it's own website, Dragonfire, but it appears to be down at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Dragonfire is a 3 to 6 player deckbuilding game (...)

Lost me at "3".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
GSReis wrote:
Quote:

Lost me at "3".

Jay Schneider posted this concerning the 3 to 6 player range.

Geeborg wrote:
Re 3-6 player on the box:
The number of players is not indicative of a major change in the engine. It's more we've been working on addressing the # of players scaling issues including supporting 5&6 players.

I'll also say the final features aren't 100% locked yet. It's a tradeoff on what final features make it into the game before printing.

I certainly would have no interest in playing a 5 or 6 player deck building game, down time is the main issue and generally is a good recipe for a dull, slow game.

I would much prefer 1 to 4 players just as Shadowrun: Crossfire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Duchesne
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
A deckbuilder with 6 players? Haha wow! The game session will be really long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
I certainly would have no interest in playing a 5 or 6 player deck building game, down time is the main issue and generally is a good recipe for a dull, slow game.

I would much prefer 1 to 4 players just as Shadowrun: Crossfire.
Then do so, you already have one that fits the bill exactly! Sensibly, the publisher isn't going to just retheme the game, but actually produce something new. Very sensible, as it expands their market.

Justice_Bolt wrote:
A deckbuilder with 6 players? Haha wow! The game session will be really long.
How do you both know that downtime will be too long? Are just saying "it must - by definition - be too long, because it's a 6-player game". I guess it might be for you. But for a person who plays 5-player games every week I see no automatic problem with downtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested purely because it is 6 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Newton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Quote:

Lost me at "3".

Yeah, for campaign games, each extra player I need to add makes the game exponentially harder to schedule. I guess this will be a game mostly for people with regular game groups (and not couples).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThinkingThatsAll wrote:
GSReis wrote:
Quote:

Lost me at "3".

Yeah, for campaign games, each extra player I need to add makes the game exponentially harder to schedule. I guess this will be a game mostly for people with regular game groups (and not couples).
Too right! I meet with my four buddies every Friday for 3-4 hours. Five-player games are an absolute must 'cos you can't split a 5 (and even when we're a 6 we prefer to play together, despite the current trend of trying to keep player count down - how many times have I heard "you gotta split a 6 into two threes, games just run too slow otherwise"? total BS in my experience)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Persin
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Very excited for this, although a bit bummed that's 3+, since most of the time I can't count that I will have 3+ people for a game, and even then, there is plenty of other stuff to play.
But I will very probably get it, please don't suck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kizilis
United Kingdom
Ashford
KENT
flag msg tools
badge
Jolan Tru!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just hope this is revised to at least 2-6 cause I mainly play with my brother and would love something like this but two player
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wessel
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"Where are your nuclear wessels?" (Chekov, Star Trek IV)
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's sharing the Shadowrun engine, then with two players you can easily run two characters each. I know not everyone enjoys doing that with a game, but it's a pretty decent option with this engine. There's not much downtime with the Shadowrun game regardless of player count, either. I'm hoping that all stays the same with this theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Pannullo
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I am not familiar with Shadow Run but if this new D&D is coop, can it be played solo if one person controls 3 characters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3+ deck builder ? LMAO bye!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CasualToast wrote:

Bye!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
CasualToast wrote:

Bye!!!!

*HUG*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
xris wrote:
The game has it's own website, Dragonfire, but it appears to be down at the moment.

The Dragonfire website is back up.

The Dev Blog gives some insight into the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy Castaneda
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Until they mention something about solo play, I'm not interested!

(That's a lie! I'm really interested! Please have solo!!)

-rudy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Yes, Shadowrun Crossfire can be played solo with 3 characters. I actually prefer it that way, since with fewer characters the game seems a little more swingy.

The basic gameplay is very much a puzzle of how to get things to come together in the right order, and is much more thinky than many other deck building games. Since you play on the enemies in front of other people as well as in front of you, and colored symbols have to be played in the right order, the game is much more cooperative than other co-op games. You will lose quickly if you don't work together really well. I really enjoy it as a solo game with 3 characters.

I would imagine (although no one knows at this ponit) that the D&D version will have a similar style of play, so you could have 3 characters laid out in front of you.

My biggest gripe with Crossfire was that the experience mechanic seemed tacked on, and didn't work that well. If they can refine things for D&D to make it really feel like you're playing through a story/campaign, than I'm really excited for this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
xris wrote:

The Dragonfire website is back up.

The Dev Blog gives some insight into the game.

I like reading Randall out there. I feel like we're still farfrom knowing a lot, but I'm really expecting a game with mechanics very close to Shadowrun Crossfire, with a number of elements modified. Knowing that they'll reuse some well-known (and well-praised) D&D graphics has me smiling too. Can't wait to read more! (Well, seeing would be best but hey, one step at a time.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian Roth
Switzerland
Basel
Basel-Stadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SR: Crossfire is a much underrated game that had an unfortunate bad start. But it eventuall became one of our 3-Player favorite co-op games ever (with the expansion!). I guess 3 players will be the sweet spot here too.

The system has so much potential and we always thought keeping your character deck after missions would be great.

So this news is absolutely awesome and a good direction!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beaux Williams
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am excited to see where this goes. Crossfire is an excellent game engine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
I just noticed that there was an update on the Dragonfire Dev Blog a few days ago on the 10th May.

This latest blog post is titled Selecting The Proper Metal and as usual was written by Randall Bills. The topic appears to be about fine-tuning the Encounter decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Another update today on the Dragonfire Dev Blog, this time titled Hammering Into Shape. Seems to be about fine-tuning the monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger cox
United States
Spartanburg
South Carolina
flag msg tools
And it is awesome. I know--we are all very different people, and my group likes BIG multi-player games: 7 player Diplomacy, 8 player Supremacy, 9-player Grand DUNE, and even 15 player Godsfire. Our favorite DBG are still those little jewels from Ban-zai (sp?), three Star Trek DBGs that can be compbined to have characters and ships from all 5 series. We played with 8 players and had some epic space battles. So I'm hoping this game does well and spawns a pile of expansions so we can have a gnome, elf, halfling, half-orc, dwarf, human, and 3 or 4 savage species, all in the same game as druids, assassins, monks dervishes and whatnot. Some have legitimate complaints about downtime; my brother hates that aspect of some games. But I find it is sometimes code word for "lazy", for players who don't study the board, the opponents, the situation. I USE my downtime, most often in rpg's and games that are boardgames trying to be rpg's (Advanced Heroquest came closest so far, but we'll give Dragonfire a shot.)But that's just me--I like a game that's big, long and has a lot of players and options. I hope this one lives up to the hype.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.