Brian Hall
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From my reading of the rules, if you diagonally block or push back a player at the edge of the pitch, you can push them out of bounds, even if one of the in-bounds push back squares is empty. But I've read some comments online that say you HAVE to push them into the empty square if it's available instead of pushing them off the pitch.

In this picture, if the square to the right of the defender is open, am I not allowed to choose to push out of bounds (over the white line in my pic) if I want to? The books says you MUST if the square is occupied, but it doesn't really specifically say you CAN if it's not occupied, that's just what I inferred from reading it, which as I said, I've read others saying you can't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct that if adjacent squares are occupied that they MUST be pushed out of bounds, but earlier in the same section of rules (pg 16 under "Push Backs" section) it states: The player must be pushed back into an empty square if possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Lystrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Often it can be a good idea to move another player into that free space first, before blocking the player in question, to ensure he gets pushed out. Just remember your player doesn't get SPP no matter what happens to the player getting pushed off the field.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hall
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarifications and tips.

So on a similar point, if instead of diagonal, you are doing a straight on block at the bounds line, since the legal push back squares would be the square immediately behind the defender and to the two sides of that square, two empty squares next to the defender on the sideline wouldn't matter since those are beside him and not push back squares. Is that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alienux wrote:
Thanks for the clarifications and tips.

So on a similar point, if instead of diagonal, you are doing a straight on block at the bounds line, since the legal push back squares would be the square immediately behind the defender and to the two sides of that square, two empty squares next to the defender on the sideline wouldn't matter since those are beside him and not push back squares. Is that right?

Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Lystrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And be wary of follow-ups to the sideline - You may just put yourself next in line for being pushed out by the enemy team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hall
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, sounds like good advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.