Subject: Choose your starting ship! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In order to generate some anticipation leading up to introducing Xia to a group of friends, I took a photo of the Tier 1 minis and placed them in a landing pad scene with some basic info about each ship, giving them some time to identify a little more with the ship they would be calling home in the cold blackness of space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
Pretty awesome graphic!

Tho, for new players I like to also say what kind of playstyles/roles the ships lend themselves to.

Puddle Jumper: Explorer, Gatherer (Harvesting), Freelancer
Persistent Memory: Trader (Tho i generally just say "don't pick this ship")
Easy Tiger: Freelancer, Gatherer, Explorer, Pirate
Numerator: Trader, Freelancer, Explorer
Swamp Rat: Pirate
Ghoststalker: Trader
Vagabond: Gatherer, Explorer, Trader(?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read someone else say not to pick Persistent Memory either. Why is that? I mean I know each starting ship is different and has its own strengths and weaknesses, but I imagine they were all extensively playtested such that there shouldn't be any one ship that should never be picked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally disagree. Persistent Memory is not a trader, nor is it a "never pick". You harpoon ships so they can't run away from you and blast them to smithereens. It's the outlaw-iest of all the ships. Load up on guns and nothing else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
happyjosiah wrote:
Totally disagree. Persistent Memory is not a trader, nor is it a "never pick". You harpoon ships so they can't run away from you and blast them to smithereens. It's the outlaw-iest of all the ships. Load up on guns and nothing else.

That is the best use for that ship, but I rarely see it work...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
The problem with Persistent Memory is the fact that the ability is situational and not completely controllable and honestly, no matter what role you choose, other ships are better at it.

Both Freelancer and Trader roles like having extra movement. But since missions have you going to all sorts of random places, the chances the other player is going where you want to go is slim. As a trader, it is a bit better since it is easier to hitch a ride to a planet. However, i would rather have Numerator for the controllable extra speed or Ghoststalker (to sell/buy at outlaw worlds & shortcutting through shields).

The big issue with Persistent Memory as a pirate is, against players, you need to kill them in a single turn, or else they will simply go to a planet and repair (or someone will kill steal) and you've basically wasted your turn. Against NPCs, you can get away with 2 turn killing, but wouldnt it just be more efficient to have an ability that enables you to one-turn kill? This makes Pirate an all or nothing role and you need to pick abilities that increase your damage output or else you risk missing the kill. Now, with Piercers from the expansion, you are less reliant on damage dealing abilities but Swamprat's overcharger is just so rediculously powerful and Easy Tiger is the hybrid king, so Persistent Memory will never get more value than them.

And even if I thought a Pirate Persistent Memory did work I still wouldnt recommend it to new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dork Angel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Persistent Memory seems kind of a jack of all trades/middle of the road.

Joint second best for Energy Storage (9) and joint second best for Hold Size (11) but in each case seems worse than the one it's up against which IMO knocks it down to third.

Energy Storage 9 puts up against Numerator, which has one less Hold Size (10) but gains +1 Impulse and the Afterburner ability which trumps the Mag Harpoon IMO.

Hold Size 11 puts it up against Easy Tiger, which has one less Energy Storage (8) but has the Tac X ability which again seems much better than the Mag Harpoon.

I don't know how much ship layout effects it's usefulness.

The only thing I can see the Mag Harpoon really working on is the NPC ships as their route is predictable so you could slingshot off them. This would make you a Trader which kind of fits with your larger hold size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djbcrawford wrote:

Persistent Memory seems kind of a jack of all trades/middle of the road.

Joint second best for Energy Storage (9) and joint second best for Hold Size (11) but in each case seems worse than the one it's up against which IMO knocks it down to third.

Energy Storage 9 puts up against Numerator, which has one less Hold Size (10) but gains +1 Impulse and the Afterburner ability which trumps the Mag Harpoon IMO.

Hold Size 11 puts it up against Easy Tiger, which has one less Energy Storage (8) but has the Tac X ability which again seems much better than the Mag Harpoon.

I don't know how much ship layout effects it's usefulness.

The only thing I can see the Mag Harpoon really working on is the NPC ships as their route is predictable so you could slingshot off them. This would make you a Trader which kind of fits with your larger hold size.

The trade offs in useful ability versus cargo hold aren't worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.