The Opulent» Forums » General

Subject: Opulent solo play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Ratcliffe
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Wanting to try this solo but can't find anything in the HUGE book of directions re: solo play. Are there any special rules for solo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DedalusR wrote:
Wanting to try this solo but can't find anything in the HUGE book of directions re: solo play. Are there any special rules for solo?

Nope. You just play all four stations. Simple as that. Works great solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ratcliffe
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Thanks! Also wanted to ask, is there any one station that plays simpler than another? I'm kind of a beginning gamer and frankly, the rules look REALLY COMPLEX to me. That's why I figure if I play it solo once or twice, it would be an asset to when I play with three people. Thanks again Ibbo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamel Rha
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are not complex once understood, but they strongly need a reference sheet: the game already provides player aids but some details are missing on it. Learning the game is actually harder than it should be. I think of making a summary for myself in fact...

In other words: rules are not that complex, they strongly need bullet points

For your question :
- Doorman : easiest station
- Band : second most complex station, but once you understand the rules, it is then fairly easy but this is the one requiring the most strategy imho.
- Barman: easier than the band.
- Manager: most difficult since you need to understand the 3 other stations so you can decide of the optimal moves to make.

I would suggest to take a look at Rahdo videos to get a feel of the flow of the game. When you have a general idea of how a game plays, it is then easier to read a rulebook imho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamelrha wrote:

I would suggest to take a look at Rahdo videos to get a feel of the flow of the game.

Actually, just search for "The Opulent" on YouTube and you'll find several short play through examples which will really help. You will watch and likely say "oh, is that it?" and realise the rules are simple enough, with the guts of the game being the key decisions for each role and the thematic narrative with each of the patrons.

Few quick tips that seem to be working with me in terms of solo success:

- Try and get people in ASAP

- Feel free to ignore aristocrats and have them leave the line without getting in

- Focus on the mobsters and politicians more as they are easier to please

- Working with Irish mobsters seems to be better in a solo game (less to watch out for as there are hardly any and not too expensive)

- Stick a doorman die on a patron as often as possible to get the max $5 from them with the manager 'schmoozing'

Love this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ratcliffe
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ratcliffe
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.