Switzerland
flag msg tools

Hi everyone,

Me and my friends designed the following "expansion" in order to intensely celebrate the birthday of one of our Dominion mates. Since all of us like to drink a bunch of beers while playing Dominion, we found that it would be a decent idea to introduce a Traveller that tells the story of a pleb (our birthday child) getting wasted.

This Traveller is designed to make the one who buys it drink, but as soon as he starts to upgrade it, it will make others drink as well (Attack Card). When a Drunk Pilgrims is played, everyone drinks 3 swigs of his beer, which boosts the sense of togetherness. As the game develops, there will be inevitably more of those cards in play (Laced Out Lads), and that's when the game starts to intensify. Once someone reaches the Morning-After Mermaid, he is able to put a Beer-Token (there is an unlimited amount of them) on an Action Supply pile of his choice, and from then on, whenever he plays a card of that pile, each other player drinks. The fact that the Morning-After Mermaid is returned to the supply, symbolizes a closing cycle. The morning-after is the morning-before and nobody stops you from buying another The Sober Pleb.

This game has been tested twice over the course of one evening. It is highly recommended NOT to play it together with King's Court or Throne Room. You have been warned...

Comments are very welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Li Wenda
China
Jinan
Shandong
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer from Heilongjiang, China.
mbmbmbmbmb
laughlaughlaugh
You have such a group of friends to play Dominion, drinking, really make me jealous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Granovsky
Mexico
Guadalajara
Jalisco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this looks awesome!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
windowxlee wrote:
laughlaughlaugh
You have such a group of friends to play Dominion, drinking, really make me jealous.

Dominion + = Best of both worldsheart! laugh
Also, it was probably the best birthday gift I've ever made.

pgranovsky wrote:
this looks awesome!!!

Thank you.
We are very keen to add more custom cards to this expansion, maybe also some events or landmarks.
Suggestions are welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Rudd
England
Bideford
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I hate to be that guy, but the interaction of The Sober Pleb with Swindler is undefined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Pawlak
Poland
near Poznań
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JackRudd wrote:
I hate to be that guy, but the interaction of The Sober Pleb with Swindler is undefined.

Oh sure, it is defined. Note, that "you can't trash this card" is part of the Action text. Swindler trashes cards from deck, not from play, so while it attempts to trash The Sober Pleb the "cannot trash" clause is not in effect. However, you cannot trash The Sober Pleb after you Procession it - it just stays in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Rudd
England
Bideford
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
m_knox wrote:
JackRudd wrote:

Oh sure, it is defined. Note, that "you can't trash this card" is part of the Action text. Swindler trashes cards from deck, not from play, so while it attempts to trash The Sober Pleb the "cannot trash" clause is not in effect. However, you cannot trash The Sober Pleb after you Procession it - it just stays in play.

So the only effect of that clause is to make this card slightly stronger with Procession. Interesting. Is there a reason for this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
m_knox wrote:
JackRudd wrote:

Thanks for the replies. Since English is not our mother tongue, it was quite hard for us to come up with a clear and highly consistent text. By "You cannot trash this card", we actually intended to make the card somehow Fortress-like ("When you trash this, put it into your hand"). That means that if The Sober Pleb gets Swindlered, you just take it into your hand. But the other problem that occurs then is, that at the end of the turn - in the Clean Up phase - as long as you didn't play The Sober Pleb and you discard your remaining hand, there is no way to check whether a The Sober Pleb has been discarded or not. Thus, if someone doesn't feel like taking a shot, he can just "cheat" by simply not playing it (which wasn't our initial idea; If anyone has a suggestion of a better text for avoiding this issue, please comment :)).
We are working on some new cards to add to our Beer Expansion. And we will also update the text on the Drunk Traveler.

JackRudd wrote:
So the only effect of that clause is to make this card slightly stronger with Procession. Interesting. Is there a reason for this?

Our goal of The Sober Pleb being such a weak and (in most cases) useless card was not merely to make the player upgrade it as fast as possible (and therefore, in general, make every player drink more) but rather to make it a punishment to those who get attacked by the Laced Out Lads. Having a (few) The Sober Pleb in your deck might give you second thoughts on whether to play cards like Hunting Party, Venture, Loan etc.
So, to answer your question, the effect of that clause is meant to be more of a negative one, for the one who owns The Sober Pleb. But as you pointed it out, in some cases it can have a positive effect too. Interesting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Rudd
England
Bideford
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you want The Sober Pleb to be identifiable, the thing to do is copy Stash and give it a differently-patterned back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
JackRudd wrote:
If you want The Sober Pleb to be identifiable, the thing to do is copy Stash and give it a differently-patterned back.

Wow, thanks for this hint. :) I've never played a game with the Stash and I even had to look it up. But that would definitely solve the issue, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Pawlak
Poland
near Poznań
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InternetExplorerBoy wrote:
m_knox wrote:
JackRudd wrote:

Thanks for the replies. Since English is not our mother tongue, it was quite hard for us to come up with a clear and highly consistent text. By "You cannot trash this card", we actually intended to make the card somehow Fortress-like ("When you trash this, put it into your hand"). That means that if The Sober Pleb gets Swindlered, you just take it into your hand. But the other problem that occurs then is, that at the end of the turn - in the Clean Up phase - as long as you didn't play The Sober Pleb and you discard your remaining hand, there is no way to check whether a The Sober Pleb has been discarded or not. Thus, if someone doesn't feel like taking a shot, he can just "cheat" by simply not playing it (which wasn't our initial idea; If anyone has a suggestion of a better text for avoiding this issue, please comment ).

By Dominion standards, everything above the line happens when you actually PLAY the card, and everything below the line is some extra, that happens some other time (see Fortress) or is just a setup info (see Baker). So, The Sober Pleb in this version can normally be trashed by Swindler (but not with Procession), and one does not have to "cheat" by not playing it and discarding it among other cards, because the "take a shot" clause is not in effect if the card has not been played. However, when you Throne Room The Sober Pleb, then in the cleanup phase you take two shots as the "take a shot" clause has been invoked twice - similar to Scheme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.