Lincoln Damerst
United States
California
flag msg tools
GameNight!
badge
GameNight!
mbmbmbmb

Tonight on GameNight! Nikki, Dave, Stephanie, Aaron & Lincoln play Century: Spice Road designed by Emerson Matsuuchi and published by Plan B Games.

Please subscribe to us on YouTube - with more subscribers we get more freedom in how to run the channel.

http://youtube.com/boardgamegeektv
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Great end analysis.

Regarding those point cards and the coins: It seems clever. As the cards come down, they are worth more. The third place card could/will be worth more when the cards in front of it move, and players can plan for that if they are aware of what the other players are going for. When the new card comes out off the deck (which is a BIG dumb-luck element in Splendor), it is worth less than the ones in front. I like that, it balances a bit.

I almost wonder if the first 3 point cards should have a different coin order when dealing with higher player count (gold & silver (+4), gold(+3), silver(+1)) to balance the competition for each card? Curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt Mueller
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great video (and a great game)!

I have the German version of the game, so I had to download someone's English translation of the rules. After watching the video, I had two rules questions. First, in describing how the "trade" Market cards work, it was mentioned the trade action of a card can be played multiple times, if a player chooses. For example, with the card showing 1 red cube trading to 3 yellows, a player could trade 3 red cubes for 9 yellows. Can anyone with the official English rules confirm if this is correct? If you are allowed to take a trade action multiple times, it would certainly change strategies.

Next, when obtaining victory point cards, are they kept face up or face down in front of the player?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the English Rulebook:

When playing a Trade card, return the number and color of cubes shown above the arrow from your caravan to the bowls, then take the number and color of cube(s) shown below the arrow from the supply and add them to your caravan. A trade can be done any number of times in a row as long as you have the appropriate cubes available.

And cards claimed are placed face down in front of you.

wamboyil wrote:
Great video (and a great game)!

I have the German version of the game, so I had to download someone's English translation of the rules. After watching the video, I had two rules questions. First, in describing how the "trade" Market cards work, it was mentioned the trade action of a card can be played multiple times, if a player chooses. For example, with the card showing 1 red cube trading to 3 yellows, a player could trade 3 red cubes for 9 yellows. Can anyone with the official English rules confirm if this is correct? If you are allowed to take a trade action multiple times, it would certainly change strategies.

Next, when obtaining victory point cards, are they kept face up or face down in front of the player?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Fenerty
United Kingdom
Southport
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nice surprise to see this one up, especially as I have this game on my radar.

Is this one of the shortest ever rules explanations? Dave had explained everything by the 7-minute mark surprise, but that included the titles as well. Surely that's some kind of record?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Blanton
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for playing this! I was curious about this game.

side note: I like that not only does Stephanie's hair go from grey to another color, but also Lincoln's
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt Mueller
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Rasmus
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
I want to play this game, like tomorrow! Can't wait for it to hit the shelves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt F
United States
Newcastle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for playing through this one!

I was worried this would be yet another game I would be tempted to buy, but thanks to your video I will definitely pass. (Even though the video itself was fun to watch!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ansari
United States
Temple City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mofo83 wrote:
Thanks for playing through this one!

I was worried this would be yet another game I would be tempted to buy, but thanks to your video I will definitely pass. (Even though the video itself was fun to watch!)

I'm in the same boat. I was actually quite intrigued by this one initially, but this video along with some other reviews I've seen make this one a pass for me. Thanks for the game video and discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hassan Lopez
United States
Greenfield Center
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not a particularly interesting game to watch, is it? Although I'm certain playing it is far more engaging. Part of me is tempted by the simplicity and lovely art-design - part of me is repulsed by the blatant cube-pushing that is its entirety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximiliano Sanchez de Bustamante
Argentina
Olivos
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you guys for the episode. The game looks fine for me. But I need to play it at least once to decide if I like or not.

In in the middle of camel thrash talking, someone ask about herbs and spice. Here is some insight about them:
Quote:
An herb is the green, leafy part of the plant. A spice can come from the root, stem, seed, fruit, flower or bark of the tree or plant. And a plant can be host to both an herb and spice at the same time like cilantro and coriander. Cilantro is the aromatic leaf of the plant, while coriander is the seed that comes from that same plant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Argentina
Olivos
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turmeric is in the family of ginger. That's why its similarity. Turmeric inside is quite orange meanwhile ginger inside is yellow.
In powder form or paste form is commonly used to put color to brown curries. Also is used to put color to other meals because it has a non invasive flavour. Usually I put it some turmeric powder to my Italian home-made noodles to make them more yellow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gian Marco Guiducci
Italy
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flashshadow69 wrote:
Usually I put it some turmeric powder to my Italian home-made noodles to make them more yellow.

Oh my.
Whatever floats your boat but please don't say it out loud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Argentina
Olivos
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
guineapig wrote:
flashshadow69 wrote:
Usually I put it some turmeric powder to my Italian home-made noodles to make them more yellow.

Oh my.
Whatever floats your boat but please don't say it out loud.

I know my pasta casalinga will not approved by any Italian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
siew wee lek
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
another great episode. Really enjoyed the discussion at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Very happy to see this one played out and then your reactions at the end. It's on my Wish List for sure - but I'm concerned about color blindness on the cards and cubes - green is very bad for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Chua
Australia
Highett
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mb
adamw wrote:
Very happy to see this one played out and then your reactions at the end. It's on my Wish List for sure - but I'm concerned about color blindness on the cards and cubes - green is very bad for me.

Certainly share your concerns about the game not being colour-blind friendly. Certainly surprised by Plan B Games not making the game more accessible. The game is also certainly not a very interesting game to watch.

Despite saying that, the game is now on my wishlist. It feels mechanically tighter, and no where near as luck-dependent as Splendor (as you have to pay more for the new cards). It certainly feels like a next-step game to introduce to people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Baker
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
I find that putting a Sharpie dot on a problem color helps big time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
But I hate to mar a game! I'm a total board game geek. If it just is impossible to play and I can't fix it by swapping out cubes or some components, then I just trade that game away. Sad but true! That's what happened to Trajan for example whereas Champions of Midgard, I just swapped out the cubes (the red and brown were awful).

So it's a play first for me. Some pictures makes me think it'll be ok, but others make me concerned. And it's such an easy thing to resolve! I can't understand why game makers won't consistently address the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Klipfel
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really enjoyed the end game discussion. First time I watched one of their videos. Great Job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Straw
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vacabck wrote:

When playing a Trade card, return the number and color of cubes shown above the arrow from your caravan to the bowls, then take the number and color of cube(s) shown below the arrow from the supply and add them to your caravan. A trade can be done any number of times in a row as long as you have the appropriate cubes available.

I completely forgot that you could take the action as many times as you wanted, and my mind is totally blown right now. I WOULD HAVE DONE EVERYTHING DIFFERENTLY.

Now I am laughing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Klipfel
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zinfandelle wrote:
Vacabck wrote:

I completely forgot that you could take the action as many times as you wanted, and my mind is totally blown right now. I WOULD HAVE DONE EVERYTHING DIFFERENTLY.

Now I am laughing.

I hope you are going to be in more of these reviews Steph. I really enjoyed the chemistry you added to the mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.