Subject: Only 4 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Williams
United Kingdom
Beckenham, KENT
flag msg tools
mbmb
Terra Mystica handles 5 nicely. Please tell me this will too, even if I have to wait for an expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
badge
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
mbmbmbmbmb
well this is based on not much play testing but i'd say things would be so contested with 5 that it would be a really brutal game. i think the board layout would need to change for 5 to work but it's really hard to say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastian Winkelhaus
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is nothing Stopping you from playing the Base game with 5 Players. It will be very long though And competition for planet expansion will be fierce.
But If You Liked to play TM with 5, you might like that too.

I dont think they are planning an expansion yet, the Base game was just finished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Brankov
Serbia
Novi Sad
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played only twice so far, but I think it is scaled down to 2 to 4 players to work optimally in all accounts. Terra Mystica with 2 players is not the same game and is inferior, imo, while Gaia works great with 2, 3 and 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Heeren
Germany
Eppstein-Bremthal
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
zlorfik wrote:
There is nothing Stopping you from playing the Base game with 5 Players. It will be very long though And competition for planet expansion will be fierce.
But If You Liked to play TM with 5, you might like that too.

That is correct. It would be a long and very tight game. Some races might have an advantage due to their abilities, others might be tougher to play. But if you like to find out go ahead
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it with 5, and it works. It just feels even more crowded than 5p TM, and the game felt to take forever. While I feel that 5p TM online is ok, I avoid to play 5p TM at the table. Given that 4p Gaia Project at the table takes longer than 4p TM, I wouldn't want to play it 5p again simply for duration.

But YMMV - AFAIK nothing in the material of the game will prevent you from playing it 5p (or 6p/7p, just like nothing prevents you from playing TM with 6p or even 7p).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
mbmbmbmbmb
When it's released, it will be interesting to see whether people start playing 5 player games. Alternatively, in a 5p game one could add one or two planets to each sector (represented by, say, Terra Mystica terrain types). It would definitely be less well balanced, but it might solve the overcrowdedness issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vidra wrote:
When it's released, it will be interesting to see whether people start playing 5 player games. Alternatively, in a 5p game one could add one or two planets to each sector (represented by, say, Terra Mystica terrain types). It would definitely be less well balanced, but it might solve the overcrowdedness issue.

That could be a good idea.

It would increase the system that gives power and lower prices for proximity to colonies owned by other players (this is similar to the one in Terra Mystica, but not as powerful).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If two people in your gaming group buys a game an option would be to add three tiles from one game to the other and make a 13 tile board instead of a 10 tile board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
If two people in your gaming group buys a game an option would be to add three tiles from one game to the other and make a 13 tile board instead of a 10 tile board.

Sounds like a good idea for the inevitable expansion :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Williams
United Kingdom
Beckenham, KENT
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cool. I've played a lot of 5p TM, probably more than any other player count and always enjoyed it, play time usually just shy of 3hrs. My group is often 5p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan
Russia
Ekaterinburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vidra wrote:
Alternatively, in a 5p game one could add one or two planets to each sector (represented by, say, Terra Mystica terrain types). It would definitely be less well balanced, but it might solve the overcrowdedness issue.

Good idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.