Subject: Doubt about control of hexes for scoring purposes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neftali Silva
Argentina
Mendoza
flag msg tools
Hi there,

This is my first SCS game. The Series and the Specific rules are straightforward and pretty well written even for a rocker like me.

However I am having troubles interpretating the 1.11 specific rule.

1.11 Control being defined as being the side that occupies, or is last to occupy the hex, with a friendly unit that can currently trace Supply (even if the unit does not need to trace Supply in normal play).

13.0 from the Series rules states:

Control of a hex is often important for determining victory or other game functions. A player can gain control of a hex by having one of his units occupy or pass through the hex.

First, must I keep a supplied unit in a hex to gain and keep control of it? in other words, will I lost control of that hex if my supplied unit leaves the hex?

Second, what's the actual meaning of "currently" in the 1.1 rule? Does it means that the unit occuping a hex must be supplied in that right moment regardless of its normal supply status (which are determinated in the supply phase)?

Now we are here, I will ask something about the Standard Rules.

10.0 Advance After Combat says:

[...] Note that even if the defender expend step losses to cover part of his retreat result, the advance after combat is equal to the original result [...]

If the defender cancelled a retreat or part if it, let's say staying in the original defended hex, where are you advancing into then? Somewhere else? I don't think so.

Thanks for your time!

nef

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Llunatic wrote:
First, must I keep a supplied unit in a hex to gain and keep control of it? in other words, will I lost control of that hex if my supplied unit leaves the hex?

No. If one of your supplied units passed through the hex, and none of your opponent's supplied units subsequently did the same, you have retained control.

Llunatic wrote:
Second, what's the actual meaning of "currently" in the 1.1 rule? Does it means that the unit occuping a hex must be supplied in that right moment regardless of its normal supply status (which are determinated in the supply phase)?

It means the unit that passed through the hex was in supply at the moment it passed through the hex in question. This rule prevents gamey moves where someone runs a unit way out of the way, to a position he couldn't possibly support, in order to claim control of a hex.

Llunatic wrote:
If the defender cancelled a retreat or part if it, let's say staying in the original defended hex, where are you advancing into then? Somewhere else? I don't think so.

Note the use of the phrase "...cover part of his retreat result...". This will not come into play if your opponent's unit did not retreat at all. It is meant for situations where a unit mitigated its retreat in part by taking a step loss(es). So, if the retreat result was 2, but by taking a step loss, it really only retreated 1, the advance after combat is still 2. If the defender didn't retreat at all, well, you're not going anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neftali Silva
Argentina
Mendoza
flag msg tools
Thanks for your answers Ben!

Considering your last exemple; if a player spent a step loss to cover 1 retreat hex of a result of 2, the advance after combat is still 2 for the attacking units, so you advance occuping the first hex, then may you move wherever you want? My doubt comes from the fact the retreating unit doesn't actually trace a r2 result you may follow.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Carmel-Veilleux
Canada
Charlottetown
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AAC unit moves up to the full retreat hexes and the second (and subsequent for a D3R3 result) can be any hexes, it doesn't have to trace the same path as the retreating unit and retreat hexes converted to step losses are still counted as retreat hexes.

This is spelled clearly in rule 10.0 (quote from version 1.8):

Quote:
Note that even if the defender expends step losses to cover part of his retreat result, the Advance After Combat is equal to the original result. The defender’s original hex must be the first advance hex. After entering that hex, advancing units can go anywhere (they can split up or stay together)

Underline mine, bold from the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neftali Silva
Argentina
Mendoza
flag msg tools
Thanks guys! You are rights, its all in the rule book. I'm really enjoying the simplicity of the sistem. Looking forward to try some others SCS games!

Nef
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.