Subject: Terraforming Mars just passed Scythe on Strategy listing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terraforming Mars just advanced one step further up the Strategy ranking of BGG, passing Scythe.

https://boardgamegeek.com/strategygames/browse/boardgame?sor...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Mahdavi
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's still a few places up on the overall rankings list. How are the ratings calculated for a "Type" like Strategy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
:insert obligatory component quality joke here:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I love TM, I still see this game being more tactical than strategic...can't believe it passed games like Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
DanielMahdavi wrote:
It's still a few places up on the overall rankings list. How are the ratings calculated for a "Type" like Strategy?

I have wondered this too. Obviously there is a different formula. Perhaps fewer dummy votes on the strategy ranks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drugo81 wrote:
As much as I love TM, I still see this game being more tactical than strategic...can't believe it passed games like Agricola.
There's an implicit judgement there that "strategy is better than tactics". I'm not sure why you think that. Why is a game that's primarily tactical worse than a game that's primarily strategic? I'm looking for an answer other than "I like strategy more than tactics".

Regardless, I wouldn't interpret ratings as some measure of which games are better so much as which games people like more.

In my gaming groups one person I know owns Scythe and it hardly ever gets played. I know at least four other people who own Terraforming Mars and it has gotten played at almost every gaming event I've been to for months now. I've personally played it 38 times this year. It's clearly much more liked in my circles than Scythe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talmanes wrote:
DanielMahdavi wrote:

I have wondered this too. Obviously there is a different formula. Perhaps fewer dummy votes on the strategy ranks?

Exactly. The subgenres have fewer dummy votes factored in, based on the number of ratings in them. This means that the game ranks will be somewhat scrambled compared to the overall ranking - it's more noticeable in the Wargames subforum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
There's an implicit judgement there that "strategy is better than tactics". I'm not sure why you think that. Why is a game that's primarily tactical worse than a game that's primarily strategic? I'm looking for an answer other than "I like strategy more than tactics".

Regardless, I wouldn't interpret ratings as some measure of which games are better so much as which games people like more.

In my gaming groups one person I know owns Scythe and it hardly ever gets played. I know at least four other people who own Terraforming Mars and it has gotten played at almost every gaming event I've been to for months now. I've personally played it 38 times this year. It's clearly much more liked in my circles than Scythe.

I'm not implying that strategy is better than tactics at all, I was just commenting on TM raising in the Strategy rankings. I do think that a game like Agricola (and even Scythe) is more strategic than Terraforming Mars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Drugo81 wrote:

I would guess that Drugo81 sees that the list is titled "strategy games," and thus expects the games on said list to be heavily strategic.

One of the little secrets of BGG is that "Strategy games" doesn't actually mean strategy games, it means Euros, or Heavy Euros, if you prefer. And "Thematic Games" is what used to be called Ameritrash, before the term raised a huge storm of controversy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spartax wrote:
One of the little secrets of BGG is that "Strategy games" doesn't actually mean strategy games, it means Euros, or Heavy Euros, if you prefer. And "Thematic Games" is what used to be called Ameritrash, before the term raised a huge storm of controversy.

Ah! Thanks for clarifying that

It's maybe time to change the ranking names then? lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can vote on which game should be in which "type". On the game page, right hand of the description, there is a small box called "Classification". Click on the small graphic button to the right of the type list and then participate in the poll if you want to.

Which of the following BEST characterizes this game?
Abstract Strategy Games (like Chess or Go)
Customizable Games (CCGs, CMGs, LCGs, etc)
Thematic Games (emphasis on narrative)
Family Games (fun for kids and adults)
Children's Games (best for younger kids)
Party Games (few rules, lots of laughs)
Strategy Games (more complex games)
Wargames (conflict simulation, etc.)

Note that there is no type category for tactical games :-).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thamos von Nostria wrote:
You can vote on which game should be in which "type". On the game page, right hand of the description, there is a small box called "Classification". Click on the small graphic button to the right of the type list and then participate in the poll if you want to.

Which of the following BEST characterizes this game?
Abstract Strategy Games (like Chess or Go)
Customizable Games (CCGs, CMGs, LCGs, etc)
Thematic Games (emphasis on narrative)
Family Games (fun for kids and adults)
Children's Games (best for younger kids)
Party Games (few rules, lots of laughs)
Strategy Games (more complex games)
Wargames (conflict simulation, etc.)

Note that there is no type category for tactical games :-).

Also, this classification is entirely user determined. If two classifications get enough user votes, the game will appear on both lists. For example, several games in the top 100 are ranked in both strategy and thematic categories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
orjanalmen wrote:
Terraforming Mars just advanced one step further up the Strategy ranking of BGG, passing Scythe.

About time. Scythe is bloated crap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that's good. At least it's a good game and not a soulless euro in Ameritrash clothing. Although I do wish TM's components were half as nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Ferreira
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
corkysru wrote:
a soulless euro in Ameritrash clothing.

I'm kind of new to this terminology, but that sounds like an odd thing to say if you're trying to hate on the game. If the mechanics are balanced and streamlined like a "soulless euro" but it's heavily themed like "Ameritrash", then that sounds like the best of both worlds.

Either way, not sure why we have to bash other games to appreciate that Terraforming Mars is doing well. I enjoy them both very much, and even if I didn't there's no reason to be a hater.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight_Sonata wrote:
corkysru wrote:

I'm kind of new to this terminology, but that sounds like an odd thing to say if you're trying to hate on the game. If the mechanics are balanced and streamlined like a "soulless euro" but it's heavily themed like "Ameritrash", then that sounds like the best of both worlds.
While Ameritrash games are often heavy on theme, I view the core principle of Ameritrash games to be creating dramatic experiences. So having an epic battle with fifty dice (a bit of an exaggeration) or the game coming down to a key random event which regardless of which way it swings will make the players holler either in excitment or despair and be a story they'll retell about the time that Pete destroyed his opponent (or completely self-destructed).

Ameritrash players tend to view Eurogames with their focus on interesting mechanisms as lacking in excitement and failing to create an exciting experience, but that's only in part because the theme fails to involve them in the narrative of play, and mostly because the mechanisms of Eurogames lead to a much more "puzzle it out" type of play that they find doesn't engage them as much. I am much more the Eurogamer, so I tend to prefer that style and view it as a much subtler, deeper and esoteric experience.

Twilight_Sonata wrote:
Either way, not sure why we have to bash other games to appreciate that Terraforming Mars is doing well. I enjoy them both very much, and even if I didn't there's no reason to be a hater.
Well, the thread specifically pit Scythe and TM against each other. It's hardly unfair for someone to contrast the games, and state a preference for one over the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight_Sonata wrote:
corkysru wrote:

I never said it was heavily themed like ameritrash. I said it was in ameritrash clothing.

Imagine the most boring woman in the world wearing the sexiest thing you can imagine.(or pick you gender.. whatever you get the point) Sure it sounds like fun... but once you start you realize what you got yourself into and regret it.

It just doesn't work right.
Plus it was put forth as a 4x game. Which it is not(if you want to debate that find one of the numerous threads about it). It's not balanced and streamlined. It's a rush to end the game. It's not satisfying to win or lose. All the fancy dressing up in the world can't help it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Ferreira
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Thunkd wrote:
Twilight_Sonata wrote:
Well, the thread specifically pit Scythe and TM against each other.

Eh, I didn't really see it like that. I saw it more like "Reviews of Guardians of the Galaxy 2 are saying it's even better than the first one!". Like, that's not bashing the first one, and indeed is predicated on the opinion that the first one was very good. It's just getting excited about the second.

Haters gonna hate though. =P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight_Sonata wrote:

Haters gonna hate though. =P

Damn right they will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, one thing's for sure: I definitely prefer playing TM over TM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if the ratings reflect how much I enjoy playing a game and how willing I am to play it at any given time - and that is pretty much verbatim what the 0-10meeple tooltips describe it as - then TM surpassing Scythe matches my personal preference in that regard.

I backed Scythe on KS, I got its fanciest edition, received it in August 2016 and was quite satisfied with it after playing it a few times - although I did find it on the brainburn-y side as you don't really have many actions over the course of a full game, so need to do your darndest to optimize the hell out of them.

In came TM at Spiel 2016 (so a good 2 months later), which I also had had on my radar for a long time. Long story short, both myself and almost all players in my various playgroups strongly preferred TM over Scythe before long, so Scythe hasn't seen the table for almost half a year at this point.

Which is a bit of a pity for Scythe, as I do like that game, but - gotta terraform dat Mars, man!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shinji 1972
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Don Smith wrote:
orjanalmen wrote:

I totally agree with that. I think it's been pushed ahead for the glorious artwork and the miniatures... but then the map is ugly and nonsensical.
The detailed mech miniatures are just eye candy... the combat system is very abstract and straithforward (which is not necessarily bad, but why then the over detailed miniatures different for each faction, if indeed the mech are all the same).

TFM is totally a superior game in every aspect except for component quality (the artwork is good enough)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Don Smith wrote:
orjanalmen wrote:

I agree, take away the layers of chrome that's masking a mediocre game it would be in the clearance pile right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All in favor of filing the topic of this thread under the category of SO WHAT?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.