Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russell Lilley
United Kingdom
Halstead
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have been away from fantasy games for a while and have just picked up a copy of heroquest and played it with my son. He really enjoyed it and cannot wait to play it again. I enjoyed playing as the DM setting the sceen, building the figures and guiding the character interactions.

I am now thinking about getting a game that I can build up ready for my son to play with me.

Game must include
Preset designed game boards
1 Play exclusively being the DM.
faily easy for a 8 year old to play.
Maybe character sheets as he enjoys all the naming etc.
figures to build(dont mind if they come prepainted)
Game time 90 mins
ideally fantasy game but open to others options

your recommendations please?

Also eyeing up Masmorra as from what I have briefly read this is good and from what I can tell would cover the above requirements when we dont want a game with DM. would this be a good choice and good game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer Quest: Shadows Over Hammerhal looks like a bit of a spiritual successor to Heroquest. Bit pricey but nice bits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike De Groote
Belgium
Heist-op-den-berg
antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest the following

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)
wich is you as dm against others and with the app you can play together

or something like Dungeoneer: Tomb of the Lich Lord

or Fury of Dracula (third/fourth edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Lilley
United Kingdom
Halstead
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
thanks for your ideas at the moment. i think descent is wining at the moment. i had heard of this being good as content gets added every 2 months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Mice and Mystics. It's fully cooperative, but the theme and plot should be great for an 8 year old. It's also simpler and shorter than Descent (which is, however, the better game in my mind).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Pritchett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like Descent is the best choice.

I would take a look a a few fully co-op games that do not require a DM.

My boys 8 and 11 have really enjoyed the Dungeons & Dragons: Adventure Board Games - Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, Legend of Drizzt, Temple of Elemental Evil. These are ones they often ask me to bring out. You can easily make your own scenarios with the Dungeons & Dragons: Adventure Board Games or if you want a quick random romp through a dungeon and fight a random boss than it works for that too. I haven't done it but I think you can modify it to use a DM. I have fun doing these solo when I just want some light action.

My boys have enjoyed playing Legends of Andor with me, although this one as limited plays.

Someone mentioned Mice and Mystics, that should be a good one to check out too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Lilley
United Kingdom
Halstead
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
thanks for the suggestions, looking at descent while a good game, noticed the figures come prebuilt :-( so gonna pop into games workshop store to see how warhammer quest pans out.

looked at mice and mystics vid, while watching it my other half said that looks a good game so looks like we might be getting this as well.

plus my other halfs just gone and brought little wizards rpg to try and get us into rpg books.

Thanks for helping ignite the fantasy board game fire again :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.