Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea it's a little early but I got my vacation approved and will be booking my hotel this weekend!

It's the BIG 50 this year!

AND there's even a free(?) concert this year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoy yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Enjoy yourself.

My son and I are going this year I have a designated driver!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon and I met FTF last year and survived to tell the tale. Usually not a lot of RSP'rs go though. Chime in if you are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be in Rio room again, hope to teach some of you games! And maybe share an adult beverage and/or a game after my shifts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Years ago I started a thread on the site as a whole and we had around 20 show up. The problem was that someone would say 'My username is _____" the response was OoooH yay(?)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
Jon and I met FTF last year and survived to tell the tale. Usually not a lot of RSP'rs go though. Chime in if you are.

I did 2015. It was an experience, but I don't think I'm going to go back - way too many places in the world to see before I die.

With that said, I think if you can arrange it both time-wise and financially, it is worth experiencing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a short 3.5 hours from my house. I use CC rewards points for my hotel and stay on the edge of town. I can keep the costs under control until I get in the exhibit hall. I do have to say my purchases had been declining steadily. Cool Stuff ding and dent got most of my cash.
Baltic Gap $35
Victory Roads $40

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
It's a short 3.5 hours from my house. I use CC rewards points for my hotel and stay on the edge of town. I can keep the costs under control until I get in the exhibit hall. I do have to say my purchases had been declining steadily. Cool Stuff ding and dent got most of my cash.
Baltic Gap $35
Victory Roads $40

Funny thing during my visit - I purchased nothing, although that CSI D&D section was tempting. Almost sprung for Roads and Boats, but resisted.

If I remember correctly, the RGG booth was fire sale-ing their items during the last few hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did sit through a few hours of the Auction. Almost scored a black box Glory to Rome for $65, but backed out (since I already had a copy). The "highly collectible" portion near the end was fascinating to watch. Dudes on phones, talking with their remote bidders, as if it was fine art.

Oh, and watching Tom Vassel and his entourage was amusing. Not that Tom is amusing, but people's reactions to Tom were amusing. As if Seka and Annette Haven were strutting around nude.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
Baltic Gap $35
Victory Roads $40

Funny thing during my visit - I purchased nothing, although that CSI D&D section was tempting. Almost sprung for Roads and Boats, but resisted.

If I remember correctly, the RGG booth was fire sale-ing their items during the last few hours.

I usually leave right after the costume contest on Saturday. Stayed until Sunday once because of the "deals". I didn't find enough to ever do it again, plus it save one night on the hotel bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
I did sit through a few hours of the Auction. Almost scored a black box Glory to Rome for $65, but backed out (since I already had a copy). The "highly collectible" portion near the end was fascinating to watch. Dudes on phones, talking with their remote bidders, as if it was fine art.

Oh, and watching Tom Vassel and his entourage was amusing. Not that Tom is amusing, but people's reactions to Tom were amusing. As if Seka and Annette Haven were strutting around nude.

Cummins (decision games) or his lackeys and another bulk buyer sit in the front row and absorb anything going too cheap. There aren't many great deals at the auction. Less than ebay by maybe 10%.

Tom Vassel = Yertle the Turtle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be there. I've been going since 2003.

I'm just a lurker though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'll be there. And at both BGGcons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking an early census to see if we can do a meet and greet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bringing it back up on the list as a shout out. The end is neigh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be in Rio room, but don't have schedule, yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its name is Rio and Scott dances on the sand, just like that river twisting through a dusty land
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
It does seem like sparse RSP attendance as usual. I can see why. If you want a con to play your brains out GenCon isn't your best choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
It does seem like sparse RSP attendance as usual. I can see why. If you want a con to play your brains out GenCon isn't your best choice.
No? I haven't been to it, why do you say so? Is Origins better? I've heard locally at Buckeye game fest in Columbus, which is hosted by teh same game club as provides the library to Origins, that many people prefer Game Fest because you can "game your brains out". What keeps that from happening at the big cons?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Origins has a lot of open gaming, especially if you buy a Boardroom ribbon (hosted by CABS). Open gaming at GenCon is a lot harder to find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
No? I haven't been to it, why do you say so? Is Origins better? I've heard locally at Buckeye game fest in Columbus, which is hosted by teh same game club as provides the library to Origins, that many people prefer Game Fest because you can "game your brains out". What keeps that from happening at the big cons?

Sheer numbers of attendees vs size of the venue. GenCon Saturday passes have sold out, there will be in excess of 30k people there. Most of the "game space" is taken up with vendor specific game rooms and RPG's. The game library/open gaming is at Lucas Oil Stadium on the playing field (I think I read that somewhere) so it might be better this year...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.