Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: SAQ [+] [View All]
Ymrde Buno
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mb
Hi guys,

i would like to know is that game really fun when you play, or you just enjoying theme and hype.

What about component management and clarity on table?
What about interaction between players?
What about comparing with other games like Terra Mystica, Scythe, Raiders of the North See, Lords of Waterdeep etc.?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's great. I love the theme, but the gameplay is excellent as well.

Managing the components is a piece of cake, especially with the custom overlays.

There is some interaction, but it isn't a terrible "take that" kind of game. The cards that do these kinds of things are usually just hiccups and not incredibly crippling.

This game is a combo of planet-building and tableau-building. I wouldn't compare this to Terra Mystica as that game is awfully unpleasant. Ugh. Honestly, it has very little to do with those other two as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
Head like an orange
mbmbmbmbmb
Ymrde, have you played it or are you considering it?

I, love it. Both multiplayer and solitaire.
I like the card play. The production and Engine building.
Also like the manipulation of the global parameters and how you can steer the game in a certain direction.

All in all I love the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, the gameplay is excellent. Besides building your engine and managing resources, there is a wealth of tactical and strategic opportunities. I am about 50 plays in and still discovering new tactics.

Also, I disagree about the hype. "Hype" is something that happens before a product is released. TFM didn't have much. What it has now is reputation, earned from people playing it and liking it, not bought with ads or a kickstarter campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
Imagine Race for the Galaxy but instead of a sprint think more of a marathon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Green
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eurox wrote:
Hi guys,

i would like to know is that game really fun when you play, or you just enjoying theme and hype.

What about comparing with other games like Terra Mystica, Scythe, Raiders of the North See, Lords of Waterdeep etc.?

Yes, Terraforming Mars is fun.

I don't think I've been particularly affected by the hype around it, simply because I ordered, acquired, and played the game before I'd learned of any hype. It seems like the hype didn't begin full force until the first printing was gone.

(Edit: So perhaps, like another poster said, this isn't really hype, but just people talking about enjoying the game.)

Fun is subjective, of course. For me it is more fun than Terra Mystica, Scythe, and Lords of Waterdeep (haven't played the other game).

I do really like Terra Mystica, thought, and Scythe is pretty good too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a big fan of Terraforming Mars. Of the others you mention that I have played, none are like it. I like Terra Mystica and I think it compares as far as complexity, but they are very different games and I find Terra Mystica much more dry. Lords of Waterdeep is also fun, but much lighter and not the same mechanically at all.

After my first game with my son, before we had even counted points, he looked down at the board and said "High five Dad, we really terraformed Mars!"

As a side note, I am not sure what your first sentence actually means. If I am enjoying the hype and theme, isn't that having fun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Don't believe the hype: this game is totally not fun. All of the people who consistently rated it so high that it is currently in the top ten are just deluded, are masochists and/or were forced to like it because they didn't want to look uncool. Trust me when I say this - I'm one of those people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Scranton
United States
Oak Brook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Relax wrote:

I've resisted this game so far, but this comment might make me look closer at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
jeremy6801 wrote:
Relax wrote:

I've resisted this game so far, but this comment might make me look closer at it.

Resistance is futile goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eurox wrote:
Is this game fun?
Yes. It's also been a big hit with pretty much everyone I've played it with.

Eurox wrote:
I care not for hype. Hype disappears when you sit down to play the game. Either the game lives up to the hype or it fails too... but you replace hype, which is the expected enjoyment you'll get from the game, with experience, i.e. the actual enjoyment you get from the game. I do really like the theme, but I wouldn't have played the game 50 times (okay I'm two shy from 50 plays) just because I like the theme.

Eurox wrote:
You hear a lot of complaints about this, but it's not a big issue for me. I ended up bumping my player mat last night and it was easy to fix. Two of my production cubes were knocked off the right numbers, but I knew what they should have been and fixed them. Honestly, I've only bumped my player mat two or three times over all my plays and they've always been easily corrected.

Eurox wrote:
There's some attack cards, but they're not too bad. There's a race for the milestone awards. There's a race to fund the awards you might win, and then a competition to win those awards. There's competition to get better placements on Mars, in terms of getting goods/money for placing tiles and getting forests next to your cities, or more likely cities next to multiple forests. There's a race/stall to be the person who advances the Terraforming parameters when they near the bonus spots. As the game winds down there's a race to see who can get the last VP's for bumping the Terraforming parameters before they max out. There's often times when you delay hoping someone else bumps up the temperature, oxygen or number of oceans in play, which would trigger a prerequisite for some cards you want to get out. And if you're drafting there's all sorts of added interaction in what you want to pass to other players/don't want to pass.

Most games I play are fairly close, with at least two people neck to neck competing for the win. I've won/lost several games on a money tie-breaker. Of course, I've also had a number of games where one player ended with a sizable lead as well.

All in all I find there's a lot of positive interaction with other players. I don't love take-that type of interaction, and while the game has a bit of that, it's not enough to bother me.

Eurox wrote:
I like it better than all of those games, though Terra Mystica is close (caveat: I haven't played Scythe, but have watched it played). It's closer in complexity/difficulty to Terra Mystica than Raiders or Lords of Waterdeep. I'd say it's less heavy, but the sheer number of cards might make it feel heavier initially.

It's one of my few 10's and probably my favorite game right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ymrde Buno
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you guys! and sorry for the "hype" word

I just prefer games with a lot of interaction, especially area control games. I know this is not. But i like Lords of Waterdeep and another worker placement too.
This is bcs of my gaming group, we just wanna have more kind of games.
And i thinking about Scythe and Terraforming Mars, who knows, maybe i take both, but better to know
For now its looks like soliter for each player with chaotic view on table to me..
So this is why i ask you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Green
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eurox wrote:

I just prefer games with a lot of interaction, especially area control games. I know this is not. But i like Lords of Waterdeep and another worker placement too.
And i thinking about Scythe and Terraforming Mars, who knows, maybe i take both, but better to know
For now its looks like soliter for each player with chaotic view on table to me..
So this is why i ask you

I think your concern about hype is legitimate. It's very common in this hobby for people to get excited about a game, only to play it twice and throw it on the trade pile.

Good luck with your decision
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is deffinitely not solitaire. Yes, you have your own cards giving you your own set of actions and stuff but the area control part of the game is very important as points from that are what usually decides who wins Plus you need to control the best areas before someone else steps on them because they give you some immediate bonus...

If you are more of a Imperial Settlers-type of gamer, go for TM. If you are more of a do your own thing and fight with someone once in a game, go for Scythe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Relax wrote:

This is spot on. Love both games. Terraforming Mars is very fun, even my usual euro hating friends love it. Play it with draft rules though otherwise it can be unfun if you luck into a bad hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
Eurox wrote:

So this is why i ask you

I think that TFM has more interaction than people realize after their first couple of plays. There are some subtleties that come out later. Still, if you want heavy interaction, TFM isn't it.

userid122002 wrote:
I think your concern about hype is legitimate. It's very common in this hobby for people to get excited about a game, only to play it twice and throw it on the trade pile.

Yes, it can happen with any game that you don't end up liking it as much as you had hoped. But I think this is much less likely to be a problem with TFM than with many other titles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Morris
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:

I think the game is a lot of fun, but the theme is a big plus for me. I bought it pre-hype on a whim so that didn't have any effect on me.

Quote:

The player boards are well laid out, the iconography on the cards is pretty straight forward and most of the information you need is either on the board or on the cards. You may need your opponents to let you know what their cards are/do because the tableau you build gets quite large.

Quote:

It's present, but low. There are some cards with (usually optional) take that effects, some competition for awards and milestones (bonus points) and interaction on the map. I've been finding the interaction on the map is starting to become more important the more I play it.

Quote:

It has very little in common with any of those games. Easier to teach than Terra Mystica and Scythe, but much deeper than Raiders or LoW

If you like tableau builders like Imperial Settlers or 51st State, you'll probably like TM. If you're looking for a game with a lot of player interaction, it's probably not the game for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
I'm holding out for a Euro 'til the end of the ni-ight...
badge
Misumena vatia
mbmbmbmbmb
I took Terraforming Mars to a game night where there were several people I hadn't met before. A few of them wanted to play a strategy game (instead of the party games that were mostly being played.) About 3/4 of the way through, one guy says, "This is way more fun than Risk!" shake

Fun ranking: Terraforming Mars > Risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
Favor Euros + Ameritrash, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
Whew. That's some measuring stick. I'd put probably a hundred games on the left side of X > Risk. But, I'd also put Terraforming Mars ahead of most of those hundred games.

Yes, it's fun. Now go find a copy OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Soares
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun is such a relative term...

I'd say it's a fantastic strategy challenge, a very solid game, with high replayability and several strategies you can adopt to achieve your goal.

If this sounds like fun to you, go get it!

Resuming...

IT'S FREAKING AWESOME!!! LOADS OF FUN!!! GET IT NOW!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Soares
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slprince wrote:
I took Terraforming Mars to a game night where there were several people I hadn't met before. A few of them wanted to play a strategy game (instead of the party games that were mostly being played.) About 3/4 of the way through, one guy says, "This is way more fun than Risk!" shake

That's a very low bar...
Isn't pretty much everything more fun than Risk?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
Favor Euros + Ameritrash, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd play Risk over Joking Hazard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
slprince wrote:

^Terraforming Mars^punching myself in the face
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
Eurox wrote:
Hi guys,

Of course the hype. I always get giggly thinking about how I am playing one of the most popular games out there.

Quote:

Terra Mystica and Scythe have a good hype feeling, but it is wearing down a bit. I haven't run into the Raiders of the North Sea hype just yet. Lords of Waterdeep has almost no hype, so it is no fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gomeril Gnak
msg tools
It's not. It's awful. You look at your starting hand and start to worry. You want to buy all those card and then you remember the last games, where you bought too much, and didn't have enough money for your projects. The cards you discarded would have made a wonderful combo with the cards you draw now. Then it is time to worry if you should go for mayor or gardener and what are the others eyeing? Spend your heat to get your terraforming rating (and income) forward or hoard it to get the production bonus? Got a plant production? Well someone will throw a comet on it for sure. Got two cities nicely arranged to share a greenery? The next will build a tile between them. I hate this game. Sometimes twice a week.

Edited for worrying typos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.