Subject: The Cover rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Krisztian Posch
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is this the final cover for the game? I preferred the earlier version with the reaching out astronaut...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Szajko wrote:
Is this the final cover for the game? I preferred the earlier version with the reaching out astronaut...

Well with licensed products, the publisher usually has little control over what the licensor will allow. It's a trade off, you get the built in audience and following of the license, but you are beholden to their whims.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Freeman
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention the fact it's an entirely subjective thing - I like the new cover better

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
The only thing I'm not fond of is the actual title "The Expanse Board Game" ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WBuchanan wrote:
The only thing I'm not fond of is the actual title "The Expanse Board Game" ...

Me too. Just call it The Expanse. Perfectly fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
Italy
Muggiò
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's already a board game called The Expanse, from 2012... maybe that's the reason?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was already a Macao and that didn't stop Feld.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Maybe The Expanse: A Board Game?

Usually you'll see *Title*: The Board Game, but obviously The Expanse: The Board Game would have a bunch of 'the' in their.

"The Expanse Board Game" seems like a old style generic name you'd see on one of those cheaply made Walmart stocked games. I doubt this game is one of those considering the designer.

In the end, probably a minor detail ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah... 'board game' needs to be removed. The tv show isn't titled THE EXPANSE THE TV SHOW. Bands don't put out albums titled Sgt Peppers: the music album.

Silly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CasualToast wrote:
Yeah... 'board game' needs to be removed. The tv show isn't titled THE EXPANSE THE TV SHOW. Bands don't put out albums titled Sgt Peppers: the music album.

Silly

How about The Expanse (Original Television Soundtrack)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I'm hoping this means it's going to be sold at places like Chapters, so I can pick it up really, really easily without my wife knowing! ha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben G
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CasualToast wrote:

Silly

It seems pretty common. I'd think publishers want to be pretty specific when customers are used to the IP being something that is not a board game.

The Walking Dead: The Board Game
A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)
Ghostbusters: The Board Game
XCOM: The Board Game
DOOM: The Board Game
StarCraft: The Board Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just because everyone jumps off the Brooklyn Bridge...shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben G
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:

Exactly! The majority of board games don't have "(The) Board Game" in their title. Be different!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Licensed properties, usually require "The Board Game" in their titles mostly due to Trademarks. Trademarks require that products under the IP must be clearly labeled as to not cause competition/customer confusion betwixt themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolai
United States
flag msg tools
OlympicCough wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

Exactly! The majority of board games don't have "(The) Board Game" in their title. Be different!

The majority of board games aren't based on licenses of non-board game media. We don't need "Agricola: The Board Game" or "Gloomhaven: The Board Game" because their titles are already synonymous with "board game" because there is no other Agricola or Gloomhaven media besides the board game.

Something like The Expanse, however, is not only a TV show but also a book series. So when Average Joe walks past a store and sees a box in the front window that just says "The Expanse" on it he has no idea what it is -- is it a boxed collection of DVDs, a boxed collection of books, a "build it yourself" model of the Rocinante, a "behind the scenes" look at the making of The Expanse, an all-purpose fan box with assorted Expanse-themed toys and doodads? Oh wait, it clearly says "The Board Game" on the box cover, so Average Joe knows what it is without having to stop and read the back of the box or looking it up online later.

Which then begs the question, if you don't already know that it's a board game, how would you even be able to search for it online to figure out what it was you saw? You can't just google "The Expanse" or "The Expanse Box" because it's going to point you in all kinds of directions, mostly related to the books or TV series. By having "The Board Game" in the title, it helps the human brain identify what it is and also helps computers catalog it for easier reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
If it was "The Board Game" that be one thing, but it's just 'The Expanse Board Game" which just sounds and looks funny to me.

I don't know what it could be. "The Expanse: The Board Game" would have too many "The" in there, so that's out.

Maybe "The Expanse: A Strategy Game"?

Or give it some thematic subtitle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.