Subject: Aedui boii event (NONPLAYER) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kaede Farenheit
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi there

I find it difficult to find where do some tribes place units. In this case, the aedui play the "boii" event:

Quote:
Aedui or Romans place 2 allies and 2 Warbands or Auxilia at or adjacent to Aedui Control

Given this, the Aedui only control their home region but it's a central one, so they are adjacent to lots of other regions. I don't know where do they choose to place their warbands & allies... so...

They could place pieces in...

PROVINCIA (ROMAN CONTROL):

- 1 Roman fort
- 1 roman ally

- 1 arverni hidden warband.

ARVERNI (ARVERNI CONTROL)

- 2 arverni allies
- 1 arverni citadel
- 1 arverni hidden warband

- 1 aedui hidden warband

AEDUI (AEDUI CONTROL)

- 1 Aedui Citadel
- 1 Aedui hidden warband

SEQUANI (NO CONTROL)

- 3 Aedui Warbands
- 1 Aedui ally

- 2 Roman auxilias
- 1 Roman legion
- 1 roman fort

- 1 subdued tribe

MANDUBII (NO CONTROL)

- 1 Aedui ally
- 1 Aedui hiddem warbamd

- 4 roman legions
- caesar
- 1 roman auxilia
- 1 fort

- 3 arverni hidden warbands
- 1 arverni ally

- 1 subdued tribe

BITURIGES (NO CONTROL)

- 1 roman fort

- 1 arverni hidden warband

- 1 subdued tribe

You can see the situation here:

I cannot find any rules that explicitly explain what are non players priorities when they need to place allies. Specifically I don't know HOW to choose the regions where this event will take place.

I miss something like:

"They first choose wherever they can gain control, then where most units..."

I have no clue where to place units. There are some places where aedui would gain control of the region and others where they would remove other players control.

I just want to follow the rules but even after reading twice it just ends up being a random choice between all possible regions... which doesn't make sense at all... or does it?

EDIT:

After reading how it works again, using rules 8.2 (Executing events) and 8.3.1 (Event Location Selection)... this is what I understood:

Since the boii event has no additional instructions for the aedui, they just move using the general guidelines. They want to place 2 allies and 2 warbands and they need to choose where to place them.

This event does not force them to carry out any command nor special ability. There is no choice of who gets the benefits and also has no choice, so the general guidelines are basically useless. 8.2.3 does not help us here.

We move to 8.3.1 (Event location selection). It states:

Quote:
Non-players select Event Regions and Tribes (including for use of Capabilites) to benefit themselves first, then to ensure that Event text places the most own or removes or replaces the most enemy Legions, then Citadels, then Allies, then other pieces possible (net by Faction), then Allies, then randomly. Unless otherwise specified, carry out actions as fully as possible in the selected Region before moving on to select others.

So... given this rules, the aedui in my situation...

- The event does only benefit them, so no problem here.
- The event will place the same amount of units, no matter what.
- The event won't replace anything, so this does not apply.
- Since non of the previous conditions makes sense with the event we reach "then randomly"... so I guess that's what they will do.

Following this guide, as I understand it, Aedui will choose randomly between the possible regions and place the maximum amount of units possible there. Then if there are remaining pieces to be placed, they will choose randomly again and place the remaining pieces there.

So, given my situation, there are 3 possibilities:

- Aedui randomly choose one region. The chosen region has a subdued tribe, so they can place an ally there. They do so and also place 2 warbands because they must carry out actions as fully as possible in the selected region before moving on to select others. Then, since they still have to place an ally, they choose randomly again.

- Aedui randomly choose one region. That region has no subdued tribes, and no allies can be placed, so they just place 2 warbands there. Then they choose random regions where allies will be placed.

Am I right?
This is giving me headaches... I want to make this move right because if they choose to take control of sequani they are going to block my supply line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You got it right, unless there are specific event instructions it will be a random choice, as the only generic guideline to choosing spaces where events are executed is that as many pieces as possible must be placed (i.e. do not chose an area to place the ally where an ally can't be placed)

The reason for this is probably that it would take too much effort (both during creation and during play) to make a bot that takes every last detail into account and the current one is good enough to provide a challenging game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaede Farenheit
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
Okay, thank you.

I just found it somewhat confusing because other placements are very detailed like when they battle (first to inflict losses on leaders, then allies, citadels, legions.

I assumed there would be a list of priorities when placing event units like

· First where they can take control of the region
· Then in regions within supply lines
· Then in regions with no hidden aedui.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.