Subject: App or online aid for making simultaneous moves for PBEM? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gus Logan
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I game with some friend abroad over WhatsApp. So far we've played Eight Minute Empires. I've kept a board updated and sent pictures of it to the other players. Now we're thinking of playing For Sale, which requires simultaneous secret selections for the second round (and possibly Pocket Imperium, where action selection is also secret/simultaneous). I haven't been able to think of a simple workaround for this. Don't want to involve another person. Is there an app? Anything simple text-based would work, I reckon - as in, all we need to upload is a short text string (in the case of For Sale, a number between 1 and 30) that can then be observed when everyone's had their go.

Any ideas warmly welcome. I guess the ugly solution is to have the three other players individually send me their moves after I've decided mine. Trust-based. Requires four conversations. Could be worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
IRC uses bots that you talk to. They also automate a lot of the game. ONUWW, The Resistance/Avalon, Codenames, etc. have IRC bots.

In Play By Forum, if you trust the players, they can post their moves in spoiler tags. If you make the text and background colors the same, you are covered for accidental mouse clicks.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
do not read

You can select the text to make it visible.

You can also hide things so that you need to quote the message to read them by
making the font size 0.

Your special case, not so much help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They could send you their moves encoded in a ZIP with a password. Yes, you could "break" it, but I am assuming for a casual game you would not!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pincer wrote:
Any ideas warmly welcome. I guess the ugly solution is to have the three other players individually send me their moves after I've decided mine. Trust-based. Requires four conversations. Could be worse.

One other option is to simultaneously play as many games as there are players; but in each game one (different) player is the admin and does not participate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.