Subject: Consume element on active ability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Kester
United States
Johnston
Iowa
flag msg tools
Some cards with active effects can gain an elemental boost. Do you consume the element when you play the card or when you use it?

For instance, if the elemental gives +1 and the card has 4 uses. Do you eat the element once for 4x +1, or 4x times you can eat the element for +1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Komdetch Koonopakarn
United States
California
flag msg tools
When you initially play the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kester
United States
Johnston
Iowa
flag msg tools
Source?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Kaine
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Redboots wrote:
Some cards with active effects can gain an elemental boost. Do you consume the element when you play the card or when you use it?

For instance, if the elemental gives +1 and the card has 4 uses. Do you eat the element once for 4x +1, or 4x times you can eat the element for +1?

Generally, it depends on the language of the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Redboots wrote:
Source?
For that card it's in the FAQ.

Also, compare the card to the Cragheart's X level card that consumes wind. That one is worded differently and tries to consume wind every time a charge is used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Komdetch Koonopakarn
United States
California
flag msg tools
Rulebook page 25:

Quote:
Persistent bonuses can be identified by the symbol displayed on the card. These ability effects will be active from the time the card is played until the conditions specified on the card are met.

Even though a bonus card is placed in the active area, it is still considered discarded or lost..

Rulebook page 24:

Quote:
If an ability is used that consumes an element..., that element token may be used to augment the ability...

It's a bit more RAI than RAW, but if we assume that "using" an ability is the same as "playing the card", then it stands to reason that you consume the element at the time you play/use the card.

After that, the card is considered discarded/lost, so even though it's in your active area, you're not "playing" it again--it's just leaving behind delayed triggers for you to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kester
United States
Johnston
Iowa
flag msg tools
For Crackling Air from Spellweaver? I must be looking at the wrong FAQ (https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/thing:174430:Official_FAQ). Can't find the card text or any relevant search terms.

That Cragheart ability is different, the text limits to the elemental being Strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kester
United States
Johnston
Iowa
flag msg tools
That makes sense as RAI. Works for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Redboots wrote:
For Crackling Air from Spellweaver? I must be looking at the wrong FAQ (https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/thing:174430:Official_FAQ). Can't find the card text or any relevant search terms.

That Cragheart ability is different, the text limits to the elemental being Strong.
Check under the Spellweaver section, it mentions Crackling Air specifically and says to use a character token to track if you consumed wind. It's not explicit, but the implication is you do it when the card is played, and the token is your reminder for later, when you start using charges.

Isaac has also answered it explicitly elsewhere in the past. I'll see if I can find that for you, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kester
United States
Johnston
Iowa
flag msg tools
alphasquid wrote:
Redboots wrote:

Check under the Spellweaver section, it mentions Crackling Air specifically and says to use a character token to track if you consumed wind. It's not explicit, but the implication is you do it when the card is played, and the token is your reminder for later, when you start using charges.

Isaac has also answered it explicitly elsewhere in the past. I'll see if I can find that for you, too.

Cool. I'd missed that part of FAQ. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.