Subject: Voices in the Darkness - Other Worlds rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
luke smith
New Zealand
Dunedin
Otago
flag msg tools
In the Other Worlds (Targa etc), do players still have to roll for Voices in the Darkness, and how does adjaceny work if one player is one side of the gate and the other player on the other side? Does the light shine through the portal?

Or do players in other worlds ignore this? Targa seems pretty well lit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know the darkness rules still apply to other worlds.

The light does go one tile out, and goes through the other side of the portal if the lantern holder is in the same space as the portal. The two entryways are considered adjacent for those purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Gustavel
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Praxus wrote:
if the lantern holder is in the same space as the portal.

Do portals occupy spaces like the connections between mine tiles do (so you can be in both the mines and the other world at the same time), or are they just a dividing line between two pairs of spaces, one pair in the mines, one pair in the other world?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are the dividing line. As far as I know, you cannot stand *on* a portal. Moving onto a portal moves you onto the tile on the other side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lewis
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
First, Ryan's already answered the original question, but I want to define some words and make sure nobody's making the same mistake I was my first several games:
Map Tile is one entire Room/Passage piece. (page 5)
Map Space is one square on a Map Tile. (page 5)
The Lantern covers the current Map Tile and each directly adjacent Tile. (page 12 and 31)

So if the Lantern Bearer is on the Mine Tile with a portal, even if they're standing in a square on the opposite side of the room from the portal, they still give "light" to the Otherworld Tile that the portal connects with.
The way we've always explained it is that it's less "Oh no, darkness is scary!" and more that "The Lantern provides some stability to reality, things start to break down when you walk to far away, and that's not good for your sanity."

Second, a Mine linked to an Otherworld via a Portal is not interconnected like the puzzle-piece connection for Mine/Mine or Otherworld/Otherworld. The puzzle piece half squares of the Map Tile and the puzzle piece half squares of the Portal End Cap form two squares in each world. The two in the Mines are adjacent to the two in the Otherworld. (page 30)
There's a bunch of extra details on page 31 of the rulebook on how different rules interact with this dividing line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.