6 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Wastes of Eriador rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Creston Fenn
msg tools
Hey everyone!

I am having a heck of a time consistently beating Wastes. I can win, but I feel it is more based off of luck. Just looking for any winning suggestions for a 2 handed game. Some games I will get 3-4 wargs just during set up. Just so much nasty stuff. LOTS of enemies pouring out. Nasty treacheries like blanking your text box if damage then not being able to heal unless you do the side quests..so on and so on. Thanks for the help in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
some of the sets are very challenging

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cfrun02 wrote:
Hey everyone!

I am having a heck of a time consistently beating Wastes. I can win, but I feel it is more based off of luck. Just looking for any winning suggestions for a 2 handed game. Some games I will get 3-4 wargs just during set up. Just so much nasty stuff. LOTS of enemies pouring out. Nasty treacheries like blanking your text box if damage then not being able to heal unless you do the side quests..so on and so on. Thanks for the help in advance.

In my opinion, there is a lot of variance for this quest and sometimes it will open with what I believe to be unwinnable situations. With that said, one deck using Haldir and the other deck using Spirit Beregond will likely see a decent amount of success. Haldir's ability is invaluable in this scenario. Beregond also helps considerably, especially when the Haldir deck has to engage an enemy.

When you have to choose Wargs from the deck, always choose the ones with the nasty shadow effects.

Haldir Deck Recommendations:
- Secret Vigil
- Robin Smallburrow
- Lembas
- Ioreth
- Ranger Spikes
- Feint
- Eowyn (Ta)

Beregond Deck Recommendations
- Unexpected Courage
- A Test of Will
- The Galadhrim's Greetings
- Feint
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creston Fenn
msg tools
cmabr002 wrote:
cfrun02 wrote:
Hey everyone!

In my opinion, there is a lot of variance for this quest and sometimes it will open with what I believe to be unwinnable situations. With that said, one deck using Haldir and the other deck using Spirit Beregond will likely see a decent amount of success. Haldir's ability is invaluable in this scenario. Beregond also helps considerably, especially when the Haldir deck has to engage an enemy.

When you have to choose Wargs from the deck, always choose the ones with the nasty shadow effects.

Haldir Deck Recommendations:
- Secret Vigil
- Robin Smallburrow
- Lembas
- Ioreth
- Ranger Spikes
- Feint
- Eowyn (Ta)

Beregond Deck Recommendations
- Unexpected Courage
- A Test of Will
- The Galadhrim's Greetings
- Feint

Yes!! So true..I have had like 10 threat or 4 wargs on the opening before!! Thanks of the advice! Makes a lot of sense ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI I found Wastes (and most of the cycle) much easier with one deck as opposed to two when playing solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanford
msg tools
I agree with others that say it's much more balanced for solo play.

Here's the deck I use to consistently beat the nightmare version of the quest. Steward of Gondor goes on Arwen. Mulligan for Elven-light. Keep Elven-light in your discard (pull it back only to discard it again) to be able to recover quickly from Lost in the Wilderness (Steward of Orthanc helps as well).

Beregond's threat reduction helps balance out the threat increase from 1B.

http://ringsdb.com/deck/view/54863

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.