Zbyszek Kisły
msg tools
I want to fully jump in with some confrontational game with different/custom armies/decks, is there anything similar and worth getting into?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pack of Heroes is a really cheap filler that works as a simpler Summoner Wars with made-up superheroes. I enjoyed this more than Summoner Wars, but I'm sure I'm in the minority on that.

Have you looked into Mage Wars Arena? Seems to be the next step up from Summoner Wars, in a lot of ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like games with asymmetric factions too! Like, a lot.

Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends is more abstract, but amazing. If you want to try it, I'm happy to play a teaching game on BoardGameArena.

Theseus: The Dark Orbit is by the designer of Neuroshima Hex and I've been enjoying it; I've only played 5 or 6 times, though.

If you want asymmetric dueling games that don't have whole armies (i.e. you play one character, not 20) there are some great ones, like BattleCON: Devastation of Indines and Puzzle Strike (Third Edition).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PHG is working on a game called Crystal Clans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor McAusland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 for Tash Kalar, I think it has that right blend of abstract tile placement (Neuroshima Hex) with the themed factions that provide some asymmetry and great card art (Summoner Wars).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Pixel Tactics. And if you're a fan of Mega Man, check out Mega Man Pixel Tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dizzybit wrote:
+1 for Tash Kalar, I think it has that right blend of abstract tile placement (Neuroshima Hex)

Oh yeah! I always forget how abstract NH actually is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wolkey
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
Check out Pixel Tactics. And if you're a fan of Mega Man, check out Mega Man Pixel Tactics.

+1 Pixel Tactics
+1 Mage Wars

Also, BattleCON: Devastation of Indines.

And Legend of the Five Rings when it's released as a LCG. My favorite card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zbyshekh wrote:
I want to fully jump in with some confrontational game with different/custom armies/decks, is there anything similar and worth getting into?

Pocket Battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jędrzej Jarocki
Poland
Warszawa
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
Sci-fi theme makes every game better.
badge
DEATH FROM ABOVE
mbmbmbmbmb
Tash-Kalar! Amazing game. Also Warhammer Diskwars is a very solid title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Wineinger
United States
Wood River
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
You made it personal. All it did was buy you a little more pain than most.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you adore Summoner Wars, you would probably like Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers and I second Mage Wars Arena

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.