Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Price curiosty/nostalgia query rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone in the UK remember what the MSRP was for an expansion pack (Mirkwood cycle) when this first came out back in 2011?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure it was £9.99 at the time, which has now gone up to £11.99 if I remember current prices correctly.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kitcat
United Kingdom
Malvern
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My recollection was paying a tenner for them, too.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:
Pretty sure it was £9.99 at the time, which has now gone up to £11.99 if I remember current prices correctly.

Was £9.99 the available at OLGS-retail prices or the actual MSRP?

MSRP is now £14.99 - from the Esdevium release sheet for next week latest pack 'Siege of Annuminas'.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:

Was £9.99 the available at OLGS-retail prices or the actual MSRP?

MSRP is now £14.99 - from the Esdevium release sheet for next week latest pack 'Siege of Annuminas'.


Pretty sure £9.99 was the MSRP back then and that I used to buy some of these for £8.99 from a local seller.

This Siege of Annuminas is one of the POD stand-alone quests & I seem to recall it's quite a big one. How big a factor those have on the price, I don't know but it's possible I guess.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:
domus_ludorum wrote:

Was £9.99 the available at OLGS-retail prices or the actual MSRP?

MSRP is now £14.99 - from the Esdevium release sheet for next week latest pack 'Siege of Annuminas'.


Pretty sure £9.99 was the MSRP back then and that I used to buy some of these for £8.99 from a local seller.

This Siege of Annuminas is one of the POD stand-alone quests & I seem to recall it's quite a big one. How big a factor those have on the price, I don't know but it's possible I guess.

Ahh - I hadn't realised Annuminas was a POD set - saw the colour matched the Harad cycle and just assumed it was the next one. That having been said Gameslore have 'Beneath the Sands' (which I think is the next one) listed on pre-order with an MSRP of £14.99.

I know there is a fair bit of original art needed for these and balancing takes effort but over £10 for a deck of cards has me tut-tutting - I'm sort of hoping this is the last cycle due to the cost despite still liking the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:
I'm sort of hoping this is the last cycle due to the cost despite still liking the game.


I'm in the same boat - I play this at least 2 or 3 lunchtimes a week at work & really enjoy the game. I have the entire lot; the saga/deluxe expansions, AP's, stand-alone quests and the Nightmare stuff but hope this is the last cycle as there really is enough content now. But I know I wouldn't be able to not buy future cycles if they do happen...

And don't forget the final Saga expansion is also coming soon...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Corbett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Hi fellow UK people! Where do you get your packs from? I'm new to the game and have so far got Core set only, and at the moment many of the earlier expansions are 'on the boat' from FFG - best place to pre-order or find packs in the UK?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:
domus_ludorum wrote:
I'm sort of hoping this is the last cycle due to the cost despite still liking the game.


I'm in the same boat - I play this at least 2 or 3 lunchtimes a week at work & really enjoy the game. I have the entire lot; the saga/deluxe expansions, AP's, stand-alone quests and the Nightmare stuff but hope this is the last cycle as there really is enough content now. But I know I wouldn't be able to not buy future cycles if they do happen...

And don't forget the final Saga expansion is also coming soon...

I managed to pass on the Nightmare stuff - well sort of, I did buy a few but they were silly hard - I prefer to play one deck with a smallish sideboard that can take on all quests, but the Nightmare stuff was bordering on building for each quest.

But if there is another cycle I will stay on board for that - hard not to at this stage, which I guess is what FFG is counting on as it continues to udge the price up shake

Andy - I have been using Chaos cards of late to pick up the current decks (they do free shipping on orders over £20 which helps). For older packs Boardgameextras might be your best bet.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:

I managed to pass on the Nightmare stuff - well sort of, I did buy a few but they were silly hard - I prefer to play one deck with a smallish sideboard can take on all quests and the Nightmare stuff was bordering on building for each quest.

But if there is another cycle I will stay on board for that - hard not to at this stage, which I guess is what FFG is counting on as it continues to udge the price up shake


Yeah, the Nightmare packs are seriously tough! Certainly to the point where a new deck needs to be built for each one. We managed to beat the Nightmare Mirkwood/Anduin quests for the core set but we gave up on the Escape From Dol Guldur one since that one is just insanely tough. Understandably, we've given them a rest before we feel like tackling the Nightmare stuff again sometime

I will be on board for whatever FFG release for this game; I just would prefer it ends after the Harad cycle & the final Saga expansion (though I will still pick up the Nightmare/standalone POD packs).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Corbett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Quote:
I managed to pass on the Nightmare stuff - well sort of, I did buy a few but they were silly hard - I prefer to play one deck with a smallish sideboard can take on all quests and the Nightmare stuff was bordering on building for each quest.


Can anyone give me a simple explanation of what sideboarding is and how to use it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Corbetta wrote:

Can anyone give me a simple explanation of what sideboarding is and how to use it?


I think this is just a term for a bunch of cards that you don't have in your deck but may want to add/swop around with what you have in the deck depending on the demands of the specific quest you're playing.

So if you played a quest that needed plenty of quest points (because of high threat cards in the encounters) but you had plenty of Tactics sphere cards, you might want to swop these for Spirit cards to help you out.

That's quite broadly speaking but hopefully it gives you the idea.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:
Corbetta wrote:

Can anyone give me a simple explanation of what sideboarding is and how to use it?


I think this is just a term for a bunch of cards that you don't have in your deck but may want to add/swop around with what you have in the deck depending on the demands of the specific quest you're playing.

So if you played a quest that needed plenty of quest points (because of high threat cards in the encounters) but you had plenty of Tactics sphere cards, you might want to swop these for Spirit cards to help you out.

That's quite broadly speaking but hopefully it gives you the idea.


Aside from altering deck ratios towards questing or combat, there's also a set of cards that are useful for certain quests, but not for other quests. Some examples:

Power of Orthanc (Voice of Isengard) is a 0-cost spirit event that raises each players threat by 2, but also allows them to remove a condition. In a quest with condition, this can be a useful card (especially if you don't have access to Lore, which has all the other condition removal cards). In a quest that has no obnoxious conditions, it is useless.

Every my Heart Rises (The Long Dark) is a 0-cost spirit attachment for dwarves, that allows them to ready and reduce threat by 1 when you travel to a mountain or underground location. Some quests have these, some don't.

Longbeard Orc Slayer, Blade of Gondolin, Hero Dwalin (Khazad-Dum), Skinbark (Land of Shadow) and the upcoming Elladan and Elrohir allies (Mountain of Fire) all have bonuses related to orcs. Some quests have many orcs, some have none at all -- you may only want these cards on orc quests.

Thror's Map (Over Hill and Under Hill) is a 1-cost lore attachment that lets you make a staging area location the active location. In quests with obnoxious travel effects on locations, you want this card in your deck. In other quests its use is rather limited.

A few quests have obnoxious enemies who like to stay in staging and annoy you from there, because they're difficult to engage normally. Adding a card like Westfold Outrider (Voice of Isengard) can be very helpful for these quests.

A couple of quests start your deck with a set, low threat level (Shadow and Flame, for example). Adding secrecy cards to a deck that normally starts with over 20 threat can be useful.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Corbett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Thanks for the explanations. What are the mechanics for using the sideboard cards? Can they be used during a quest, or do you just swap them in/out between quests; to me that would just be like building a new deck for a quest, so is this meant for campaigns and tournaments, or does it apply to casual and solo playing?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A sideboard as used in Magic:the Gathering (where it possibly originates from) is a part of the tournament rules - 15 cards you can swap in between matches (not before the first though). They're meant to be 15 alternative cards you can replace to change your strategy a bit, and it can win you games (best out of three is the general rule, so you have a pretty good idea of up to 45 of your opponent's cards).

Since there is no such thing in LotR's rules, and it's not a competitive game, your sideboard is just as many replacement cards as you can be bothered with.

It could be a bunch of alternatives to replace traps with more active aggression, search cards or something to alter your strategy, or it could be a hero and its sphere cards to be replaced with another in the deck and its specific cards (like replacing Galadriel with a dwarf, and hence her mirror with an axe etc.).

So in co-op games it's whichever cards you bring for potential deck change-ups if you're not playing at home. If at home, your sideboard could basically be your card pool
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Corbetta wrote:
Thanks for the explanations. What are the mechanics for using the sideboard cards? Can they be used during a quest, or do you just swap them in/out between quests; to me that would just be like building a new deck for a quest, so is this meant for campaigns and tournaments, or does it apply to casual and solo playing?


If you look at decks at ringsdb.com, you'll see a number of decks with sideboards, and if the deck has an explanation, it'll often tell you on which sort of quests they swap them in, and what they swap them for.

For my part, I have my sideboard of sometimes-needed cards, and if I'm playing a quest that needs them I just put them in (I don't bother taking other cards out; the small efficiency increase isn't worth the effort to me), and I take them out for a quest that doesn't need them.

Sometimes I'll get something out of the binder for a specific quest that would profit from a card not in the binder (for example, Hidden Cache in a quest that likes to discard cards from my deck), but I don't bother listing cards like that in my sideboard. When I'm building a deck I put my sideboard cards in a little mini-deck and pull them out and put them back in as needed.

If you build an entirely new deck for each quest, there'd be no point in having a sideboard. I think it's mostly useful for a deck you wish to take against a number of quests; and certainly some casual/solo players do this.

Players who play multi-player pickup games may need to have sideboard cards for another reason -- someone else may be wanting to use that unique hero/ally/attachment you have in your deck.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Referring to the original question of the topic...

I'm not sure if it adjusts from dollars to Pounds, or not? but www.camelcamelcamel.com is a great price tracker for Amazon. You can see current, highest and lowest price recorded. As well as all the swings in the price history
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.