Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any clever systems to help choose the next game your group will play? Whilst all groups have their own systems, rotation of members choosing etc, I was wondering if anyone has a specific, and probably needlessly complicated, system for choosing what to play. I can imagine some way of giving everyone a number of votes which they can allocate to any game in a list, which count more the longer the votes been there, which aren't freed up immediately or something... the less games they've had an input in, the more sway their votes get or.... something!

Is there a game mechanic that fits this quite well somehow? I suppose it'd be like a "rolling election" or something?!

I know this naturally stomps all over whimsy and free choice and all, which is hardly the right way to manage "fun", in the same way people dream up all sorts of stupid systems for rating games, which comes out with answers they themselves don't agree with, but I'd like to at least know if they exist!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an ENFP-A (Campaigner) so when I host game night the first game or so or three I pretty much choose what to play and never has there been any decent.....well, tbh, most of my gamer friends & family gamers are Ixxx-? (Introvert).
whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's always a game WH1CH GAM3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
I'm an ENFP-A (Campaigner) so when I host game night the first game or so or three I pretty much choose what to play and never has there been any decent.....well, tbh, most of my gamer friends & family gamers are Ixxx-? (Introvert).
whistle

Cobblers to the silly codes, but I'm usually the one picking the games, but the thing is I'm looking to be hosting far more reguarly with my friends, so don't want to just be foisting my choice on them. Or worse, forcing my 2nd rate choice on them when I don't feel brave enough to suggest what I really want. Stats shouldn't lie to me as much as I do to myself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Are there any clever systems to help choose the next game your group will play? Whilst all groups have their own systems, rotation of members choosing etc, I was wondering if anyone has a specific, and probably needlessly complicated, system for choosing what to play.

In my old weekly group, we calculated so-called "devil points" (a combination of your win performance and rank performance for the evening), and whoever was "the devil" (did best) got to choose games played at the main table next week. (We were a large group with multiple games going in parallel.)

Nowadays no real system, but my wife and I mutually agree upon a monthly theme and play a game each day based on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. everyone gets 5 votes must vote for at least 2 games. (one time only)
2. Play the game with the most votes* (roll a die to decide ties).
3. Played game has all votes eliminated, all unplayed games with at least 1 vote get +1.
4. If Played game has a single winner, everyone else gets another vote. Team games, the losing team gets 1 vote. Co-ops, no additional votes.
5. Repeat 2-4 through game night.
6. At end of game night, every player gets 1 vote. Keep tallies between game sessions.
7. If a new player comes to the group, gets their starting 5 votes.

*if the attendant players do not fit the player count, see following algorithim:

If Num_Players < Min_Players_Req
Play game with next most votes

If Num_Players > Max_Players_Sup
Play the game anyway, and left out players can play the next game, wait, or go get pizza.

(bonus points if you get a player to write up a java widget or some such thing to track and tally for you)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys should seriously consider the merits of a dictatorship. It's a real timesaver.

Pete (chooses and sets up the games we play before anyone even shows up on game night)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In one of my groups we use a system called "Suicide Kings" that I got to know years ago when playing MMOs where it was used for loot distribution.

It's a simple ordered list with all members. The highest person in the list gets to choose a game. If he passes (or isn't at the meetup) the second highest person gets to name the game.
When (finally) someone names a game, he "commits list suicide" and is being placed at the bottom of the list.
There is a variation that only present members rotate positions and non-present stay where the currently are. This is to balance regular and sporadic participants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
You guys should seriously consider the merits of a dictatorship. It's a real timesaver.

Pete (chooses and sets up the games we play before anyone even shows up on game night)
To make it even less realistic, you'd want to do all this voting beforehand, so no time to lose that way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum_Jack wrote:
1. everyone gets 5 votes must vote for at least 2 games. (one time only)
2. Play the game with the most votes* (roll a die to decide ties).
3. Played game has all votes eliminated, all unplayed games with at least 1 vote get +1.
4. If Played game has a single winner, everyone else gets another vote. Team games, the losing team gets 1 vote. Co-ops, no additional votes.
5. Repeat 2-4 through game night.
6. At end of game night, every player gets 1 vote. Keep tallies between game sessions.
7. If a new player comes to the group, gets their starting 5 votes.

*if the attendant players do not fit the player count, see following algorithim:

If Num_Players < Min_Players_Req
Play game with next most votes

If Num_Players > Max_Players_Sup
Play the game anyway, and left out players can play the next game, wait, or go get pizza.

(bonus points if you get a player to write up a java widget or some such thing to track and tally for you)

That's what I'm talking about! Certainly a good start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Ryan
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
publisher
He (or she) who supplies the best beverages chooses the game.

This can sometimes be expensive due to game session length, but if you REALLY want to play something like Monopoly, you better be supplying something that tops 75 bucks per bottle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe J. Rushanan
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Board Gamers Never Are
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

yeah, that is how to get around Arrow's Impossibility Theorem
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone writes down three votes. first vote is worth three points, second vote is worth two points and the third is worth one point. Add up points and the game with the most is played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaie D
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This feature is a high priority for Roll for Group and will be added soon.

As Roll for Group imports players Bgg want to playlists, the current plan is to first add in suggesting what the highest want to play game in your group is. Followed by a collaborative voting system for the players to help choose what to play. Similar to what the website doodle does, but tailored just for boardgame groups.

The exact details on how to vote are being determined over the next couple of weeks, e.g. should it be player elimination? should it be majority vote?

I like Patricks idea we may add in a style of zero-sum loot based system. If enough people want it, then it seems pretty cool to implement as an optional feature.

You can follow developer updates at http://www.facebook.com/rollforgroup if you want to see when the feature is implemented. As the sites new, currently we're updating the site every few days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nobody has come up with something more convoluted than mine? sad. there should be a whole euro game by now. a rosenberg/feld/chvatil crossover game that meticulously decides WHO gets to choose the next game.

of course, it will be required to add a couple of hours to play this game in between each other game you play, so it will, itself go on the list. then endless recursion means this will be the ONLY game, and there will never need to be another decision made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.