The Bill
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In a game last night, I wanted to achieve the objective "Rebel Assault" and wanted to be sure than I destroyed a star destroyer so I assigned 6 damage to it. Is this legal?
I wanted to ensure that he could not block any damage.

It seemed like ridiculous overkill at the time, but then I got the objective (legally?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yes, it's allowed. All damage must be assigned, but there is no limit to the amount you can assign to a unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Sieber
United States
McMinnville
Oregon
flag msg tools
I'm looking forward to having some real talk with some real folks!
badge
Hi, I'm Matt, A radar technician.
mbmbmbmbmb
blondlostime wrote:
In a game last night, I wanted to achieve the objective "Rebel Assault" and wanted to be sure than I destroyed a star destroyer so I assigned 6 damage to it. Is this legal?

It seemed like ridiculous overkill at the time, but then I got the objective (legally?).

You also have to remember, there are cards to recover damage... on key units you want to destroy, I always add an extra damage in the event one gets blocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Coulter
Canada
Fraser Valley
BC
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah overkill can be super important for the rebels. Very valid tactic, and totally legal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
It's the only way to be sure...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
David Umstattd wrote:
It's the only way to be sure...

F**kin' A!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel van der pol
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blondlostime wrote:

Yup, this is legal to do. You can assign more damage to a unit than it has hitpoints to prevent a block damage tactics card from saving the unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
And, gee!, it is even specified black on white in the Rules Reference p5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Renaud Verlaque wrote:
And, gee!, it is even specified black on white in the Rules Reference p5.

The insulting tone is not welcome...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
You get insulted a little too easily, methinks, but it's a free country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Renaud Verlaque wrote:
You get insulted a little too easily, methinks, but it's a free country.

I'm not saying anyone was insulted, but you meant it to be insulting. That's obvious to everyone. Will you now embarrass yourself by trying to deny it? Or maybe just do that smart thing and not say anything about it...or offer an apology if you're feeling especially civil...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I was gently chiding the OP for not reading the rulebook. If he deems it insulting, then I apologize to him. I do confess that it is amazing to me to see the number of questions asked on these boards that can be answered by a simple reading of the manual. In this particular case, it is not an obscure rule, you just have to go to the paragraph on assigning damage in the combat section. People work hard writing these manuals, the least we can do as players is read them. As a designer I answer any and all questions on my games. More often than not, I simply read the manual because I simply do not remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Renaud Verlaque wrote:
I was gently chiding the OP for not reading the rulebook. If he deems it insulting, then I apologize to him. I do confess that it is amazing to me to see the number of questions asked on these boards that can be answered by a simple reading of the manual. In this particular case, it is not an obscure rule, you just have to go to the paragraph on assigning damage in the combat section. People work hard writing these manuals, the least we can do as players is read them. As a designer I answer any and all questions on my games. More often than not, I simply read the manual because I simply do not remember.

I get where you're coming from...and don't disagree. The vast majority of questions on these forums are answered clearly in the rules. But your tone basically turned your comment into a thinly disguised "RTFM!"; and really...what's the point of that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Antagonistic, insulting, or otherwise disruptive comments ARE NOT welcome here.

Please use the icon when you see disruptive or antagonistic comments or any other violations of the Community Rules. This serves two purposes:

1- using the icon will bring that post to the attention of forum moderators so they can deal with it appropriately. We prefer that you not respond to the post directly. Responding invites the offender to continue, and if you respond aggressively you may end up dragging yourself down with the offender.

2- if enough users flag a post using the icon then that post will be hidden from general view, preventing others from being exposed to it.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bill
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Renaud Verlaque wrote:

I only read the "Learn to Play" Book, but later realized (into our first game) that it should have been called the "Learn to Play Sloppily" Book. There were some finicky points that were not in the Learn to Play book or were in strange locations. For example, regarding how some cards require a Tactics roll, this spot on the last page of the Learn to Play is the ONLY place in either the LTP or the Rules that says anything about cards that have the lightsabers symbol on them:
(correct me if this is located in the Rules Reference anywhere... my friend and I could not find it).

I'm not terribly offended, but after trying to find information previously, I thought it would be easier to ask here.

The Rules Reference being alphabetical doesn't present information logically (I don't think in ABCs) and as mentioned above, some information isn't even in the Rules Reference and is only in a chart in the LTP Book.

At first I thought the LTP Book was a good thing, but then my friend and I were very annoyed at the many wrong implications of the LTP book. I think it makes sense to have one book that has an exhaustive treatment of each mechanic in the game all in one place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blondlostime wrote:
(correct me if this is located in the Rules Reference anywhere... my friend and I could not find it).

It's in there. I'm going to list my thought processes while finding it too, as it might help you reference in the future.

OK, first, we are asking about an icon on a Tactic Card. Let's look up the Tactic Cards section. Hmm, nothing there. But the section references the Combat, Dice and Leaders sections. This is really asking about Combat, so let's check that and go to the section where Tactic cards are played. Oh, there's the relevant rule:
RRG - Combat - Combat Actions - Play a Tactic card wrote:
–– If the card has the special icon, the player must
spend one of his dice (of any color) showing a special
icon to use the card.

Quote:
The Rules Reference being alphabetical doesn't present information logically (I don't think in ABCs) and as mentioned above, some information isn't even in the Rules Reference and is only in a chart in the LTP Book.

It is meant to all be in the RRG. There are very few rules they missed out, and the FAQ covers most of them. You just have to think about what types of things your question really is about and then look up that section, and any relevant sections referenced by the section you looked up.

Quote:
At first I thought the LTP Book was a good thing, but then my friend and I were very annoyed at the many wrong implications of the LTP book. I think it makes sense to have one book that has an exhaustive treatment of each mechanic in the game all in one place.

If the LTP had every rule, it would be a horrible mess and not be eary to understand at all. The RRG does have all the rules in one place, but it is hard to learn from. You are really asking for a third book that includes all the minutiae from the RRG with the flow of the LtP and nobody seems prepared to try to create such a beast.

Edit: Just to add something else, I didn't look it up earlier, but the rule in question is also mentioned in the Dice section, one of the other sections the Tactic Cards section told us to look up:
RRG - Dice wrote:
Special: During combat, a die with a special icon can be
spent to either draw one tactic card or to play one tactic card
that has a special icon on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yeah, people complain before when every rule is in one book and it's a mess. LTP is just that, let you play your first game as soon as possible, while reference allows you to check for rules you're not sure about. Personally I like having them both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bill
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
eunoia wrote:
Yeah, people complain before when every rule is in one book and it's a mess. LTP is just that, let you play your first game as soon as possible, while reference allows you to check for rules you're not sure about. Personally I like having them both.

I'm judging this games rules by War of the Ring (Second Edition), which combines everything in the rule book and makes it lengthier, but at least everything is organized in one place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blondlostime wrote:
I'm judging this games rules by War of the Ring (Second Edition), which combines everything in the rule book and makes it lengthier, but at least everything is organized in one place.

Why do you keep implying that the RRG isn't organized in one place? The rule that you said wasn't in the RRG is actually in there twice, in sections that are rather obvious for the rule to appear in.

The only rules that I am aware of that are missing from the RRG but are in the LtP are that you win if the Death Star blows up the Rebel Base's system and that Rebels deploy units before Imperials deploy units. Both are rather minor oversights. Every other rule is in the RRG and they are usually very easy to find.

Yes, I can see where a complete traditionally written rulebook would be useful to some people. However, comparing a rulebook like the one for Descent 2nd Edition to Star Wars Imperial Assault's RRG, or Arkham Horror's rulebook to Eldritch Horror's RRG makes it clear to me that the RRG style is a much better way for FFG to present their rules to us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Clipper wrote:
and that Rebels deploy units before Imperials deploy units.

It's in the "Refresh Phase" section on page 12.

Another rule missing from RRG is that you don't get any more turns after passing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I did miss that instance of the deploy order.

Perf wrote:
Another rule missing from RRG is that you don't get any more turns after passing.

It does, actually:
RRG - Command Phase wrote:
A player may choose to pass at any time during the Command
Phase. When a player passes, he cannot use his leaders
to reveal missions or activate systems for the rest of this
Command Phase.

So I guess we're back to the only rule missing from the RRG but in the LtP is blowing up the Rebel Base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Not exactly - it leaves out the "can I voluntarily reveal my base after I pass?" case. Sure, it is implied, but there was at least one discussion on FFG boards about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Perf wrote:
Not exactly - it leaves out the "can I voluntarily reveal my base after I pass?" case. Sure, it is implied, but there was at least one discussion on FFG boards about this.

Perhaps, but I think that goes into the more general realm of questions. I think what Clipper is referring to is "list of questions answered in the LtP guide but not the RRG".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
sigmazero13 wrote:
"list of questions answered in the LtP guide but not the RRG".

And that's what it is, since RRG never says "player doesn't get any more turns after passing". Without LtP rule, RRG says "player still gets turns after passing, but cannot reveal missions or activate systems during such turns".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.