Subject: Spies and barracks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Veljko Dobrijevic
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game ends when the market deck is emptied OR when at least one player's barracks is emptied.
So do undeployed spies count as being "in the barracks" or are they on the side and only regular troops are in the barracks ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spies are not troops, and thus not kept in your barracks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The end of the game triggers when one of the
following occurs:
1. A player deploys his or her last remaining troop.
2. The market deck becomes empty.

From the rules reference at the back of the rulebook. It's not when the barracks is empty, but when you've placed your last troop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veljko Dobrijevic
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that's the same thing, if only regular troops are kept in the barracks.
The question is do the spies go in the barracks or not ? And do they count as troops or not ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Um, it's not the same thing. Troops are troops and spies are spies. Not sure what the confusion is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We both gave you the correct answer in two different ways. Why is it you insist that spies and troops are the same thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veljko Dobrijevic
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not insisting, I was just asking. Because I couldn't find it clearly explained in the manual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Veljko, we will have to agree to disagree as I found it pretty clearly explained at the back of the rulebook. Hope we helped clarify it for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veljko Dobrijevic
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry but I can't agree that we're disagreeing because I think we're only misunderstanding each other...
When I said "that's the same thing" I meant that the barracks being emptied of troops and the last troop being deployed is the same thing, because it obviously is. I wasn't saying that spies and troops are the same thing, if you thought I was saying that.
As for the passage from the back of the rulebook you quoted, I agree IT is clearly explained, but I've seen that passage and THAT'S NOT what I was asking about...
What I was asking about is NOT clearly explained in the rulebook.
As the good old movie quote goes :
"What we've got here is a failure to communicate..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enkidu_of_Abydos wrote:
The question is do the spies go in the barracks or not ?

Yes. Spies not deployed are in the owner's barracks. From p. 13 of the rulebook in the section Return a Troop or Spy: "To return one of your troops or spies, return it from a troop space or site anywhere on the board to your barracks."

Quote:
And do they count as troops or not ?

No where in the rulebook does it say that spies count as troops. On p.3 of the rulebook, the images of the game components show pictures of troops and are labelled, "Player Troops". It then shows pictures of spies and are labelled, "Spies".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though Spies go in the Barracks the end game condition as stated on page 14 is:

"The end of the game triggers when one of the
following occurs:

• A player deploys his or her last remaining troop.
• When the market deck is empty."

Spies ARE NOT troops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enkidu_of_Abydos wrote:
Well that's the same thing, if only regular troops are kept in the barracks.
The question is do the spies go in the barracks or not ? And do they count as troops or not ?

Spies do not count as troops. On page 2 of the rulebook it lists 160 player Troops and 20 Spies...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
Enkidu_of_Abydos wrote:
I'm not insisting, I was just asking. Because I couldn't find it clearly explained in the manual.

The rulebook doesn't have to specify which things aren't other things. Are player boards considered cards? Is the map considered a spy? The rulebook doesn't say for either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
srdjan nikolic
Serbia
flag msg tools
It is clear that spies do not count as troops for the matter of triggering end game turn. There is only one questionable moment here that at the moment can't happen and that is - if in some deck would exist another way for a troop to leave barracks (for example deploying a troop temporarily for some time on a card and using it later in the game) other then deploying on the troop site, then it would be a question whether the end game turn triggers when last troop leaves barracks (thus making it empty) or when the last troop actually deploys on a troop site. I think the correct answer would be 'empty barracks' triggers the end game turn.

• A player deploys his or her last remaining troop.

it doesn't say deploys from where, we understand that taking present mechanics in the game that this statement is the same as empty barracks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.