Hide
5 Posts

Quarto» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Quarto: How to counter mirror strategy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Smith
msg tools
Hey there, new quarto player and BGGer here. I was playing as a new player vs another new player. She had the start move and I started mirroring her pieces across the board using the opposite color to see what would happen. Wasn't expecting a good outcome because I thought she would trap me but it turned into an easy win for me. After the game was over, we concluded that the mirror strategy was a guaranteed win. The logic is as follows:

The first player moves, and the second player mirror him across the board. This repeats. After the first player finds their last safe spot towards the end of the game (assuming defensive play), the second player will have the same, mirrored safe spot across the board, thus forcing the first player into creating three in a row allowing the second player to stop mirroring and win.

That logic held true for us until we realized that for each piece there is not an equal piece of the opposite color. Because I'm not familiar with the game (re: noob) I don't know how the mirror strategy can be countered, although I assume it can be. Anybody out there who can tell me how to counter this strategy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
_gargoyle2200_ wrote:
Hey there, new quarto player and BGGer here. I was playing as a new player vs another new player. She had the start move and I started mirroring her pieces across the board using the opposite color to see what would happen. Wasn't expecting a good outcome because I thought she would trap me but it turned into an easy win for me. After the game was over, we concluded that the mirror strategy was a guaranteed win. The logic is as follows:

The first player moves, and the second player mirror him across the board. This repeats. After the first player finds their last safe spot towards the end of the game (assuming defensive play), the second player will have the same, mirrored safe spot across the board, thus forcing the first player into creating three in a row allowing the second player to stop mirroring and win.

That logic held true for us until we realized that for each piece there is not an equal piece of the opposite color. Because I'm not familiar with the game (re: noob) I don't know how the mirror strategy can be countered, although I assume it can be. Anybody out there who can tell me how to counter this strategy?

I'm not sure I follow your argument, but it sounds like you were overlooking an important rule: after you place a piece, you choose the next piece, which the opponent must place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
I'm not sure I follow your argument, but it sounds like you were overlooking an important rule: after you place a piece, you choose the next piece, which the opponent must place.

Exactly. You don't pick the piece you get to play; your opponent does. That's part of the strategy of the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are you trying to play chess on a Go! board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
russ wrote:
_gargoyle2200_ wrote:

Thanks, this is the rule I missed. Makes a lot more sense now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.