Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For example, if you use the card that lets you take control of the thief, so that whenever someone scores, you get 2 of the cards they scored with, does the thief continue to work in that game if the card that let you get the thief is bought up and gone? Or was the presence of the card what created the rule that makes the thief work?

To put it more generally, does the thief have it's "steal 2 cards" power because of the regular rulebook? Or is that a power it gets because it's a rule on a card?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious about this as well. For the card you mention, it seems a bit overpowered if a player gets that ability early in the game and is then able to hold on to it because the location disappears. In contrast, there are some locations where it doesn't seem fair that a player who just picked up a fruit token or extra turn token will never get to use it if the location disappears on the next turn. Our house rule has been that the player gets to keep the ability as long as it doesn't create an unfair advantage, but this is admittedly a rather subjective measure.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
I'm curious about this as well. For the card you mention, it seems a bit overpowered if a player gets that ability early in the game and is then able to hold on to it because the location disappears. In contrast, there are some locations where it doesn't seem fair that a player who just picked up a fruit token or extra turn token will never get to use it if the location disappears on the next turn. Our house rule has been that the player gets to keep the ability as long as it doesn't create an unfair advantage, but this is admittedly a rather subjective measure.


In terms of strength, I managed to pull this off (we played that the ability still counts), but it's actually pretty difficult to do because of the rule that you can't visit the same place twice. So in order to do this, you have to visit the location to get the thief, then visit somewhere else, then visit the location to buy the last card. This requires the other players to let you do this by either buying the last card themselves, or not taking the thief away from you for 2 turns when they see that otherwise you will be able to do this and have the thief for the rest of the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd lean towards you don't get the bonus anymore if the relevant card is gone. It keeps things simple and seems like always a fair way to do it. You should be factoring into your decisions what cards could go away and what cards are about to come in anyway.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryxius Ryxius
msg tools
Hello,

No official answer about it ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We've continued to play with the rule that the effect still happens. This is because the rule that says that if you visit a location with the thief, you first give a card to the market; isn't written on the location at all; it's just in the rulebook. Same for the rules about what fruit tokens do, etc.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryxius Ryxius
msg tools
Yes but with the action of #26, the thief isn't on a location, he is behind of a player.

Furthermore, if there is no more card with the thief and the last card 26 is buy, the player have a very overpowered power till the rest of the party...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Kröpke
Germany
Ascheberg
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryxius wrote:
Hello,

No official answer about it ?


The effects of the location cards are supposed to continue to work until the end of the game.

Thus, you only remove tokens, the tief, or special fruit-mix cards at the end of the game, if a certain location is not there anymore.

As all players know this, the timing of removing such locations is critical. If another player has something which you like to have, too, do not buy the last fabled fruit.


Have a lot of fun wit Fabled Fruit,

Henning
(2F-Spiele)
11 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryxius Ryxius
msg tools
Henning wrote:
Ryxius wrote:
Hello,

No official answer about it ?


If another player has something which you like to have, too, do not buy the last fabled fruit.


In the case of #26 it's your interest to buy the last card. In this case you keep the thief till the end of the party.

Or i understand nothing...
1 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryxius wrote:
Henning wrote:
Ryxius wrote:
Hello,

No official answer about it ?


If another player has something which you like to have, too, do not buy the last fabled fruit.


In the case of #26 it's your interest to buy the last card. In this case you keep the thief till the end of the party.

Or i understand nothing...


I mentioned this several posts up; but while it is indeed a powerful move, it is hard to do and requires your opponents to allow you to do it. You cannot take the thief one turn and buy the card he very next turn, because you have to go to a different location. So you need to go through 2 full rounds where no one chose to go to #26 after you did. With one of those rounds having #26 being completely empty.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryxius Ryxius
msg tools
Thanks but it's not the problem.

The problem is if the location is empty and my opposant have the thief.

Do the power of the thief still working till the end of the game ?

If yes it's overpowered.

But the official answer is really not clear.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Kröpke
Germany
Ascheberg
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
To be crystal clear: The effect of a location is in effect until the end of a game, even if the last card of the location is gone.

Henning
(2F-Spiele)
5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryxius Ryxius
msg tools
Perfect

Thanks a lot
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryxius wrote:
Thanks but it's not the problem.

The problem is if the location is empty and my opposant have the thief.

Do the power of the thief still working till the end of the game ?

If yes it's overpowered.

But the official answer is really not clear.


But what I'm saying is that in order to get into that situation, all of your opponents would have to choose to allow you to do that powerful move.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryxius wrote:
Thanks but it's not the problem.

The problem is if the location is empty and my opposant have the thief.

Do the power of the thief still working till the end of the game ?

If yes it's overpowered.

But the official answer is really not clear.

It's only overpowered for that one game. 20 minutes later the problem disappears in the next game!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.