Hide
10 Posts

Dark Souls: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Difficulty droping with number of players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. Hid
msg tools
I have watched 2 gameplay sessions on youtube and while rewards (souls) scale with number of players, the difficulty doesn't - the stats and numbers of enemies are the same. So the only difference between 2 and 4 players is you have twice as much heath. Making the game almost twice as easy. Right? Or am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vetter
Denmark
Hilleroed
flag msg tools
H i d wrote:
I have watched 2 gameplay sessions on youtube and while rewards (souls) scale with number of players, the difficulty doesn't - the stats and numbers of enemies are the same. So the only difference between 2 and 4 players is you have twice as much heath. Making the game almost twice as easy. Right? Or am I missing something?

Remember that the enemies activate after EVERY player turn. So more players gives more monster activations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Brennan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Eternally
badge
Deluded
mbmbmbmbmb
H i d wrote:

Enemies have been made harder via action economy as opposed to just upping the numbers. That way if you play with 4 players the enemies get four activations per turn as opposed to 1, so the turn order would go:

- Warrior
- Enemies
- Knight
- Enemies
- Assassin
- Enemies
- Herald
- Enemies

Also the enemies act first when you initially enter the room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Hid
msg tools
Edit: Restructured the argument to make it more clear.

I understand that enemies activate after every hero. That makes it so, that after 4 turns the heroes and enemies take the same amount of damage on average regardless of the number of players. But you have more heath bars: 1 hero has 10 HP, 4 heroes have 10*4 HP. So you can survive 4 times longer with 4 players if you manage to split the damage evenly, which makes the encounters easier.

OK, I've read the rules now and I see that more players get less sparks, which means less experience to grind. That should shift the balance in the right direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Becker
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What you said about the sparks plus, yes, health is 2-4 times as much in theory, but the challenge also comes from making sure the damage is distributed evenly, which is the challenging part too, since a character can't move until all enemies activated 2-4 times. Ending a characters turn on a bad spot in these can lead to death quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Parkes
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Replect is right, seeing as any character death results in failure, having to keep a character alive over potential 4 enemy activations before they get to act again can end up being pretty difficult I imagine.

Having only played the game with 2 so far, I'm keen to experience how the game scales with more. Extra downtime will be a negative, but I can see the need arising to strategise far more effectively too, which will presumably be a good thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hajdasz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
www.celjaded.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
H i d wrote:

I'm busy writing a review for this game and I have a few snippets here which might help answer your question:

As far as the Core Set is concerned at the moment, DS:TBG is definitely harder with more players and is certainly no cakewalk when played solo either (no-one to take the aggro except you!).

As other people have also said, distributing damage across four players is a challenge. There are several basic enemies who target all characters on a node- an ability that rarely affects you in a 2-player game, but will certainly come into play with more people. Ditto for traps!

You also need to factor in the upgrades for all of those extra characters as each one is going to need sufficiently powerful weapons, shields, armour etc. and that quickly gets expensive.

You can hit critical mass with 2 players FAR easier than you can with 3/4 because of this and early on (when the game is at its hardest) you won't be risking as many activations with a player who still has starting equipment. Therefore you'll be spending fewer turns on potentially vulnerable players who can't make as big of an impact on the state of play.

Bosses are also more challenging with an increased player count because the number of safe nodes from turn to turn are dramatically reduced. It's much harder to keep all 4 characters safe when a boss starts swinging all over the place and if one player hasn't balanced their block and resist values then they can sometimes risk getting nuked in a single attack.

A three player game is probably the sweet spot in terms of difficulty with two players being slightly easier and four being slightly harder, though YMMV.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had a short solo game with the knight and made it through without dieing. After I had 3 blue dice armor I just concentrated on killing the magic damage dealers and it was very easy and boring. Played vs. the Frost knight and the Dancer. Before we played with 3 players.
I am sure it is easier solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Becker
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you get any range 1+ weapon Solo, you can kite anything as soon as you took care of the bowmen, if there are any. If those are out it's actually pointless to keep fighting because if played patently, there is just no way they will get you.
For bosses rather something with range 2+, but you still have to strategize in this fights more or less depending on the boss, but for some if you get lucky with the moveset, it's definitely possible too. Didn't took a single hit against 2 Gargoyles back-to-back in Campaign 1 for example because of range 2+ weapon while they only moved 1 with range 1 mostly. I feel like strategy increases with more players, while solo you rely a lot more on equipment. Bad decisions with good equipment can still hurt, but good decisions with bad equipment still can cause you a lot of troubles with bad dice rolls. With more players a bad roll just means you have to adapt with your strategy as a group, but solo without any ranged weapon there is just not much you can do in certain encounters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Smothers
msg tools
H i d wrote:
Edit: Restructured the argument to make it more clear.

I understand that enemies activate after every hero. That makes it so, that after 4 turns the heroes and enemies take the same amount of damage on average regardless of the number of players. But you have more heath bars: 1 hero has 10 HP, 4 heroes have 10*4 HP. So you can survive 4 times longer with 4 players if you manage to split the damage evenly, which makes the encounters easier.

OK, I've read the rules now and I see that more players get less sparks, which means less experience to grind. That should shift the balance in the right direction.

It is pretty easy for 1 character to get ganged up on in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.