Paths of Glory» Forums » Strategy

Subject: A few questions... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lachie Varley
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everybody,

As a relatively new PoG player, about five plays under my belt so far, I have a few strategy questions for those more experienced than I.

So far, my strategy has revolved around making the best use of the cards and I have not yet begun to think seriously about deck management and the other intricacies of the "card" part of CDG's. Part of this stems from my opponents being also inexperienced so games tend to see a lot of 2-ops plays to carry out sixth impulse flank attacks etc.

So onto my questions. (Note, I usually play the historical scenario)

1. Pripyat Marshes

I have noticed that the marshes and swamps on the Eastern front have been largely avoided in the games I have played. The delay on movement seems to really let down offensive plans, particularly when the CP have just pushed the Russians out of Poland and Galicia.

The movement restriction for me often results in enemy forces having ample time to entrench and bring up reinforcements, meaning that any offensive through the marshes is basically blocked from the start.

I've noticed that in AAR's, the most common units in the marshes are stacks of corps and the Sud Army, rather than the two or three army stacks common in the North and South. Is this a good strategy? Do other people find that the marshes are an effective barrier and are largely ignored?

2. MEF to Salonika

Is it worth SRing the MEF to Salonika? Particularly if Allenby is shredding the Turks in Palestine, the tying down of maybe two Turkish corps seems a bit redundant, particularly if Bulgarian and German corps have been SR'ed to help the Turks.

So does anyone else find it worth to SR the MEF to Salonika if for no other purpose than to let the two corps already there to fight on the army table. I get that it would cause the activation cost to increase particularly compared to the Orient army but at the same time it might allow for an earlier push into Bulgaria and Serbia.

3. Race to the Sea

This event is confusing for me. By the time the CP want to push into those northern spaces, the War Status is at 4 anyway. The card sequence: GoA - Moltke - Falkenhayn seems to get the CP War Status to 4 pretty quick so I don't quite get the point.

When is the best time to use Race to the Sea as an event? How effective is it? Is it worth culling?

So that's all the questions from me and I must applaud Mr Raicer for his excellent game.

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Torgerson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1. Pripyat Marshes

Sometimes CP will push in the South, esp if GE has committed to holding a strong line the West. Usually the CP will strike North with a couple stacks of GE armies. Just need to seal off that side with a Trench in Brest-Litovsk. No need to go through the marshes.

Quote:
2. MEF to Salonika

Not possible. SR port to port is corp level only.

Quote:
3. Race to the Sea

It is rarely played for the event for the reason you stated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lachie Varley
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow cheers man.

I didn't know that about the port to port SR, I will definitely remember that for next time.

What is Race to the Sea used for as an event? Card culling?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Gregorio
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've NEVER seen Race to the Sea played as an event. I generally do not cull 3-OPS cards - they are perfect for SRs as they can move FOUR corps around.

Regarding the central swamps of Russia - there's no point in sending forces through it as you'll need to be spread out to cover your supply lines and the Russians can easily stall you using the 'standfast' swamp and forest terrain. The key to this area is Brest Litovsk - once you take that, you split the Russian defense in two; the CP can pound one or the other and, from the central position, reinforce either flank. The Russians, once they lose Brest Litovsk are very constrained.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
gregorit wrote:
I've NEVER seen Race to the Sea played as an event. I generally do not cull 3-OPS cards - they are perfect for SRs as they can move FOUR corps around.

I saw some good player (Birnbaum?) doing that. Culling even 3´s including this. I don´t do that though and its not common.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lachie Varley
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So in short, Race to the Sea is unused as an event?

My other question now that I think about it is the use of Reichstag Truce and Zeppelin Raids.

I like to save both for RP's and Ops at the moment. I have only ever played RT as an event once and Zeppelin raids never. I find ZR is usually unnecessary as the AP rarely seems to amass more than 2 BR RP's. There are no WS restricted events for the CP(from memory so take that with a grain of salt) so I have no hesitation in never using Zeppelin Raids apart from a hell of a lot of RP's and nice ops.

Where I am stuck is Reichstag Truce. In my (limited) experience the CP don't seem to struggle to get to total war so the war status boost I find is not entirely necessary. How do you guys use it? I have always opened with GoA so maybe that is my problem.

In any case, I should throw an AAR up here some time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Gregorio
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you want to be at LW on turn 3, RT is a must-play event. (Rare are the AP players who will 'give' you Falkenhayn.

ZR is a WS card and sometimes every single one counts. ZR can be very useful near the end of the game as it can absolutely shut down the British western offensive for a turn which can be very important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lachie Varley
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh right fair enough.

So drop RT asap and hold onto ZR until you really need it?

From an AP perspective, is the dream opening WS play; GoA --> Rape of Belgium --> Blockade? If I had those two cards in hand would it be best to play them solely for event/WS?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Gregorio
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
If the AP plays has those in hand and then chooses to play one (or both) as a non-event, then they will face the risk of being behind getting to Limited War. Not a good strategy, IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PltOffVar13y wrote:
So in short, Race to the Sea is unused as an event?

It's just not that great of an event. Might be pretty decent in the Introductory scenario (which I have never played). Campaign scenarios for using it seem limited. Maybe a non-GoA opening where CP wants to put pressure on Western Front (threaten Paris encirclement) in Turns 1-3. AP/CP will not be able to get to LW until start of turn 4 (assuming no Moltke). This also forces the AP to keep reacting to this threat as opposed to playing RPs.

Still, even then, it stretches out CP supply lines to the breaking edge.

I have never played it as an event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lachie Varley
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers man, It did confuse me quite a bit in play as it was never used. If it had a 1 WS like Oberost it'd probably see more play from me anyway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.