Subject: Question regarding cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ev Sach
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi

So we have tried playing the first scenario 3x now and keep losing :/ I am not sure where our strategy is going wrong. We get a little bit further each time. We started playing with 1 character each but then decided to play 2 characters each to get a better feel for the different characters (there are 2 of us playing).

I am finding that when we are hitting the second board we are not getting left with a lot of cards in our hand. The rest option both long and short which requires you to lose a card, and then possibly using any actions which require the lost actions feel like there are just not enough cards in the players hand to complete a scenario.

Do we only get these back if we only have certain cards that allow this? We dont seem to have any... Am I missing something?

We are playing the Brute, Scoundrel, Mindthief and Tinkerer.

Also for example, my tinkerer is the only left as the other 3 players are exhausted and I am about to enter the 3rd room, do I continue to set it up for a 4 player game or would it only be set for a 2 player game? Obviously I wont be able to complete the scenario if putting the monsters down for a 4 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
It is absolutely normal that you will be at the edge of exhaustion close to the end of the scenario. This is one if the game's difficulties. Some important hints:

Don't play too many cards that become lost early.

Don't rest when still having many cards in your hand.

Sometimes a long rest can be beneficial if you're not currently needed as it gives you one additional round.

The minor stamina potion item can give you one more round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
astrogal wrote:

Also for example, my tinkerer is the only left as the other 3 players are exhausted and I am about to enter the 3rd room, do I continue to set it up for a 4 player game or would it only be set for a 2 player game? Obviously I wont be able to complete the scenario if putting the monsters down for a 4 player game.

You will put it up for 4 players. If you get exhausted so early make sure you are doing everything correctly...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the suggestions here, make sure that you aren't miss-playing some rules that can make things difficult:

1) The monsters only does the abilities listed in their ability card. If it doesn't say attack it does not attack. If it doesn't say move, it doesn't move.

2) Make sure you set the scenario level correctly (level 1 for normal strength since the character levels are almost certainly still 1 for that scenario)

3) Make sure you place the correct number and rank of monsters for the scenario level

4) Realize that you can lose a card to mitigate damage (though I don't think that is your problem since you state you are running out of cards and not becoming exhausted due to HP loss)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HitmanN
Finland
Uusikaupunki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make use of disarm attacks and stun attacks as often as possible. These status effects last until the end of the enemy's next turn, so doesn't matter if you're acting after the enemies, they'll be hindered the next turn, so it's always useful to apply these effects to reduce the number of attacks enemies can do, which in turn reduces the chance of needing to lose a card to mitigate damage.

At least one of those classes can poison enemies too. Do this early on if possible, to amplify attack strength to the target.

Retaliate or shield bonus of 1 may seem like a tiny number, but don't underestimate these. Retaliation is guaranteed damage, unlike attacks that might fail because of bad modifier draws and enemy shields.

Tinkerer can be used as a dedicated healer, if so desired. Just keep those heals coming and leave the combat to the others entirely. Later on in the scenario you'll probably want to throw in a lost attack or two though, since Tinkerer has a such a large hand size and likely has more cards left than the others.

When entering a new room, plan the process carefully, and don't go in solo. Sometimes it's good to spend an extra turn healing, resting or playing certain cards before the turn where you enter the new room. With the right cards, and everyone healed and ready, it might take less turns to clear the room than without having spent the extra turn preparing, or at the very least you'll likely take less damage in the process and can avoid losing cards to damage.

And like has already been mentioned, avoid playing cards that are lost early on. By losing a card to an action in early game you're effectively sacrificing several turns. For example, a character with hand size of 9 would normally have to lose a card first time (to rest) after four turns (4x2 cards), but if you lose a card to an action before then, then by the first resting you'll have only 7 cards left, instead of 8! You've basically sacrificed almost an entire hand worth of cards to perform one action!

Some classes can lose cards from actions a bit more often, while others almost never, or they'll definitely run out of cards way before the last room of the scenario. As a general rule of thumb, the smaller the hand size, the less often you should play lost cards.

And don't worry about losing at first. I lost the first scenario four times before learning the rules and pacing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ev Sach
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for everyone's advice. We finally won the first scenario so there is def a learning curve with how to best manage each turn.

One other question. We finished the first scenario. Do we need to do a road event when heading back to gloomhaven to buy new equipment? I know we need to when heading out of there to the next scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pelletier
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me - John 14:6
mbmbmbmbmb
No road event when heading back to Gloomhaven, only when leaving. So, if you do a scenario that is located in Gloomhaven proper, you do a city event but not a road event prior to starting it.

Good job beating the first scenario...it's tough, and scenario 2 is in some ways even tougher. Don't get frustrated. As you level up and get to know your character's strengths and the synergy with the other characters, you'll get better. Also don't forget that, if the first few are too difficult for you to get through you can always bump the monsters' level to 0 for a couple of plays until you gain more confidence and knowledge of the game and your characters' abilities.

It really is a fantastic game, and you're just now scratching the surface of all the awesomeness!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.