Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
66 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Plastic Miniature or Standee Game components? What's your preference & why? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Hines
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
I'm afraid the DEFLECTOR Shield is..... Operational!
mbmbmbmbmb
Let us know which you prefer in games and why.

I love plastic miniatures if they are 28mm and nicely detailed. Really like the 3D element they add to the game. These types of game pieces can be used in some of my other games like Dungeon & Dragons. So really like the added flexibility. Also, the 28mm scale is easy to paint.

Personally, I hate standees and don't usually play games that offer them. Standees don't offer the 3D feel I enjoy and are difficult to see when viewing from the side. Also, most have the same front & back image, so you can't tell front from back. I love King of New York, but believe plastic miniatures would take this game to the next level.

Everyone has their personal preference, please let us know yours and be respectful.
thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
badge
"Say my name"
mbmbmbmbmb
Minis here too. I'm intrigued by gloomhaven, but I don't fancy standee monsters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like consistency, things where the hero is a mini and everything else a standee is annoying.

I prefer standees though, I don't pain minis so I prefer the colour and detail to a blank mini. Plus also, minis make the box bigger and the price higher. I'd rather have two games with standees than one with minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hines
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSpy wrote:
I prefer standees though, I don't pain minis so I prefer the colour and detail to a blank mini.

Yes, I don't like playing with unpainted miniatures. I try to at least give my miniatures a rough painting or wash to bring out some detail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
While I don't paint minis, I prefer them to standees.

Standees feel kinda "cheap" to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M King
United States
Wilder
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSpy wrote:
I like consistency, things where the hero is a mini and everything else a standee is annoying.

I prefer standees though, I don't pain minis so I prefer the colour and detail to a blank mini. Plus also, minis make the box bigger and the price higher. I'd rather have two games with standees than one with minis.

I agree with this. I might like minis better if they came in different colors. But the depressing grey color makes it hard to know who controls what mini. And colored bases are only a partial fix. The problem with minis is you really need to paint them, but that's a lot of work if you don't know how often it's going to get to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather have standees. Makes for smaller game box and smaller price. I don't care that the game is less appealing, I'm playing mechanics, not toys.
I've backed two games for their miniatures and that's more than enough for me If a game is good, make it available to a lot of people, and that means standees rather than minis!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hines
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oneoldgamer wrote:
The problem with minis is you really need to paint them, but that's a lot of work if you don't know how often it's going to get to the table.

True, I have a lot of unpainted or partially painted miniatures. A quick and easy trick to speed paint a large number of miniatures you just want to give a little painting and detail is to do the following:
1) Use enamel paint (like Testors) to just paint the hats, guns, swords, shields or anything you want to stand out.
2) Dip the entire figure in a wash of acrylic paint, water, and dish soap (many different formulas on youtube).
3) Spray with flat matte varnish to seal the figure

This will help your common troops standout and yet still retain the color of the playing pieces. The wash helps better define the figure's details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Nicastro
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i would go for plan c: wooden pieces.

i avoid games with standees cause they look cheap to me. if i can i avoid games with a lot of minis as well, the price goes up, the box size increases and unless you paint them they are not so nice.

my feeling about a game depends a lot about how it looks, and if you have wooden pieces around the table it looks much nicer to me.

(of course not every game can use wooden pieces and look good, especially for monsters, but a lot of games put minis inside instead of wooden pieces just to look more epic, i'm not a fan of that)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wyant
United States
Spindale
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play King of Tokyo with Monsterpocalypse Models.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sagritalo
United States
Round Lake Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Standee. I paint miniatures but prefer standees for boardgames because a) takes less space, and b) already has color and detail. Doesn't look cheaper though is likely cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rivendell
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Minis are nice, but I prefer standees or chits. They are cheaper for me to purchase and can carry more information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's not a dedicated miniature game, standees are superior.
Better looking than grey-ish heaps of plastic.
Cheaper.
Easier to distinguish from each other (if minis are unpainted).
Storage space.
Durability.

BUT:

Playing a game where there is nothing more but terrain and the playing figures, for example, Warhammer, X-Wing, Imperial Assault, that would suck with standees (and does with unpainted figures)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer standees to unpainted plastic minis. I don't paint minis much anymore and prepainted minis are usually of medicre quality. So I probably prefer minis to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Between the two, standees. I don't want to paint minis and I don't want to carry minis around with me. Minis don't enhance the game in any way for me; they're just an ugly blob of plastic.

If a game is built around minis (positional, measuring distance, etc) then I'm pretty much not going to be interested in it anyway, so no big deal for me there.

Standees are fine, but often they're so big and out of scale that they block important info on the board. In these cases I much prefer tokens or other bits.

I played with Star Wars figures for years as a kid and "collected" (bought) them for a while as an adult. I'll survive if I have to play a 2 hour game without them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb
mitTch wrote:
i would go for plan c: wooden pieces.

i avoid games with standees cause they look cheap to me. if i can i avoid games with a lot of minis as well, the price goes up, the box size increases and unless you paint them they are not so nice.

my feeling about a game depends a lot about how it looks, and if you have wooden pieces around the table it looks much nicer to me.

(of course not every game can use wooden pieces and look good, especially for monsters, but a lot of games put minis inside instead of wooden pieces just to look more epic, i'm not a fan of that)

This is my stance as well though I like the move towards stickers you have the option of adding to wooden bits if you would like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to play with stuff that's easy recognizable on the board. If it's wooden pawn/meeples or pawns/miniatures I don't mind. However, if they are plastic pawns/miniatures I'd prefer them to be pre-painted or in a player's color. Cuz if it's all grey, it will still be hard to see which miniature belongs to whom and such sometimes.

Flat cardboard pawns are awful though, because it is hard to see what's on the board, if you're looking at them from the sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dislike the aesthetics of standees. Minis are fine, but wooden pawns or meeples are also nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love piles of unpainted plastic minis, as long as their shapes are distinctive enough, and if lots of minis then different colors by player and/or enemy type. Dudes on a map and dungeon crawlers this is a must, for other game types highly desirable (but a must if they're charging $50+ for the game).

To clarify, for me minis means ok if small and lower detail level. Like the units in Monsters Menace America or the heroes in The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac or Invasion from Outer Space: The Martian Game. Some games that do a real good job for me are Space Cadets: Away Missions and Room 25 Ultimate.

For standees, yes the artwork's gotten better, they don't have to be rectangular anymore and you can even get them with transparent backgrounds but...
1. They aren't as immersive
2. You can't pile them in a bag as easily (I don't paint my board games)
3. Durability stinks (tears/folds shoving them into cardstands, creases/bends if they're not secured)
4. flat so invisible from certain angles, harder to read lay of the land
5. Cheapy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really dislike standees. The overwhelming majority of them are top-heavy and topple constantly during games.

Pete (thinks it would be more accurate if they were called "fallees")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Moore
United States
Cairo
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I prefer minis for DND style games and wood or standees for anything else. Dnd games tend to play better as immersive experiences so the minis help that, whereas in strategy games thats not so much the goal so I dont care.

That being said, I am SO glad Gloomhaven went with standees due to price. GREAT GAME! Minis would have likely just about doubled the cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nowuseeme
Greece
Kalamaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like minis better as well. I can paint them when I'm bored and use them in D&D sessions too, so everytime I m looking for a new board game, having nice minis is huge factor on buying it.
I agree with what a lot of people say here, standees are very cheaplike and easy to wear off. I don't like my games to show their age with tears and worn of edges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wolkey
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no preference. I'm more interested in the quality of game play, replayability/variety, and theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Liouville
Germany
Kaiserslautern
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It goes: Handpainted Minis > Standees = Prepainted Minis > Grey Plastic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
I prefer Miniatures over most anything. Wooden cutouts are good as well but it depends on the game. Bloodrage? Miniatures are a perfect fit for that game.

(photo by Arachnode)

Wrath of Dragons? The wooden components work better for me.

(photo by punkin312)

I think minis can be too much though and wood is the better option for actual gameplay like in the case of Rum & Bones:

(photo by CMON_Casey)

The minis are great sculpts but playing this game can be frustrating when you have too many of these highly-detailed minis choking up the board. It was enough that I decided to pimp out my copy (or de-pimp?) by going all wooden abstract models:

The irony is that the first post under CMON_Casey's photo is from a user that stated, "I like that the playing pieces look like pirates and are not abstract pegs or cubes." To each there own I guess ;-)

Of course either of those options are better than standees, IMO. However, I did find a nice use of standees:

This was to make custom "heroes" of me and my friends to play in a custom scenario for a zombie apocalypse game. The stands are from litko and have been the only time where I liked standees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.