Subject: Other games like waterdeep but travel. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Sutcliffe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Hi guys
Not sure if my thread name is accurate. I' love playing this with my missus 3 player but are going on holiday in 2 weeks time and would like a game similar but far more portable.we are taking lost cities and jaipur l. Be neither game get us invested as must at water deep does. Any surges tons on what to take with us
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's the worker placement, building ownership, and resource collecting that has you, may I suggest Harbour?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure how small of a game you're thinking of, but two that come to mind are:

Quests of Valeria: It's a hand/tableau management game that mimics the quest system of Lords of Waterdeep. You hire adventures to compete quests.

Mint Works: It's a worker placement game. That's where the similarities end. You buy building plans and construct a tiny mint town.

Both games play well with two. And I find both quite fun!

+1 Harbour
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest Targi. It's a great worker placement game for 2 players and it is the same size box as Lost Cities. Be sure to check out Rahdo's Runs Through video to see how it is played. Very simple game to learn, but has a lot of meat in making decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Murtagh
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Doesn't fit the type of game, but my wife and I always take Race for the Galaxy with us on trips, it's very portable and easily played on a hotel bed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sutcliffe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the replys on this so far.
I like that race for the galaxy is just a deck of cards with many posabilites and quick to set up. But might be hard to get used to with all them symbols.

As for targi I had that as one to buy then realised you can only buy bit in German and not English.

Going to check out quest's of valeria today as the quests and collecting things to complete it is probably one of the reasons that we like water deep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sutcliffe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Looking at valeria looks like it's a kickstarter that won't be released till 2018 so points to you for coming up with a game that might work but won't be able to get it before I go on holiday in 2 weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl G
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quests of Valeria is already out. You might be looking at their next Valeria game (there are lots).

I'd also second Harbour and add Tiny Epic Galaxies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JSutcliffe wrote:
Looking at valeria looks like it's a kickstarter that won't be released till 2018 so points to you for coming up with a game that might work but won't be able to get it before I go on holiday in 2 weeks.

I just bought all the Valeria's on coolstuffinc. Not sure what you mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure Quests of Valeria is available right now.

The portable game you want is Century: Spice Road, but it might be available around you only in German, worth to take a look.

Some other I would recommend (portable, set or resource collection, quest completion kind of games) are: Splendor, Oh My Goods!, Archaelogy: The New Expedition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JSutcliffe wrote:

Now I'm curious on what their 2018 Kickstarter is!?

Thanks for the points

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you know there's an excellent app implementation of Lords of Waterdeep?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sutcliffe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I have purchased quests of valeria. Sounds like I game we will love.

Curretly looking at jump drive as race for the galaxy is a very loved game on here and it seems to be some sort of easter gatway game in to it.

I do own the water deep app game but is not the same when playing with 2 and doesn't give the same feeling a table top of cards doe's. I do very much enjoy playing it on my own though.

I have also been playing San Juan on my mobile but find that there doesn't seem to be much depth to it and hope race for the galaxy has more ways of winning than San juan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JSutcliffe wrote:
Thanks for the replys on this so far.
I like that race for the galaxy is just a deck of cards with many posabilites and quick to set up. But might be hard to get used to with all them symbols.

As for targi I had that as one to buy then realised you can only buy bit in German and not English.

Going to check out quest's of valeria today as the quests and collecting things to complete it is probably one of the reasons that we like water deep

Re Targi it looks like Rules of Play might have at least one Zman copy available

https://rulesofplay.co.uk/products/targi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sutcliffe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I think your right they do indeed look like they have the English version in stock thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eight-Minute Empire

Nice tight little area control game with cards, tiny play board and wooden cubes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Braffe wrote:
Not sure how small of a game you're thinking of, but two that come to mind are:

Quests of Valeria: It's a hand/tableau management game that mimics the quest system of Lords of Waterdeep. You hire adventures to compete quests.

Mint Works: It's a worker placement game. That's where the similarities end. You buy building plans and construct a tiny mint town.

Both games play well with two. And I find both quite fun!

+1 Harbour

I'd give a ditto to Mint Works. Its worker placement city building in an Altoid Tin, with a lot of replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.