Subject: Turn 1 Despair? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Lapierre
United States
Berwick
Maine
flag msg tools
I feel like I'm goofing something up very badly. On turn 1 morale check phase the strongpoint number is still on 63 since I haven't captured any strongpoints. So the number is higher than the VM red strongpoint number of 61 for turn 1. Do the VM units lose 1 morale that early for "despair"? In 3 games I've never captured any strongpoints on the first turn.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stevel40831 wrote:
I feel like I'm goofing something up very badly. On turn 1 morale check phase the strongpoint number is still on 63 since I haven't captured any strongpoints. So the number is higher than the VM red strongpoint number of 61 for turn 1. Do the VM units lose 1 morale that early for "despair"? In 3 games I've never captured any strongpoints on the first turn.

Thanks!

Sounds about right. If you do an all-out overlapping barrage and assault on Beatrice and Gabriel, it's possible one of the other may fall. Historically the VM started out with costly wave attacks before settling in entrenching, so it's one of those first-major decisions of the game: go all out to take initial strongpoints and get ahead of the morale curve but risk high step losses, or play a more cautious approach and risk the French grinding away at your resolve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Kanger
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, put barrage on all hexes in these two strongpoints and assault all their hexes and cut their LoC, then you might end up as the owner of them at the end of the game turn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Lapierre
United States
Berwick
Maine
flag msg tools
<< Yes, put barrage >>

I've been doing this, 4 barrages on each strongpoint, which will probably cause 4 casualties. So they are weakened after that but the morale phase happens before the French move so you lose morale for each division in the middle of the turn. It just seems nearly impossible to capture all 4 hexes in one swoop so that's why it seemed odd to me that the VM troops we despairing as the battle is just getting underway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Kanger
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
VM usually get them if the French decides to evacuate the remaining troops there in order to save them. If France decides to stay, they usually can, but it will probably be costly for the French to do so. You will soon discover the pros and cons of both strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, "Despair" is just the nomenclature. Putting a massive effort into assaults and not having a strongpoint to show for it is going to dampen your enthusiasm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory C
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
badge
100% FUN
mbmbmbmbmb
The Vietminh are on a tight schedule. From my experience they will be suffering the despair loss most turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Picardat
France
Rosny-sous-Bois
flag msg tools
stevel40831 wrote:

Thanks!

Try to attack Huguette 7 : valley move to bring 3 units in the off map box, then, box move to bring them on the map edge and assault a sole Thai unit. It works almost all the time.
You can do it again latter in the game on other parts of the map. It forces the French to garrison all strongpoints of the central perimeter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
msg tools
mb
stevel40831 wrote:

Thanks!

If the strongpoints are isolated on turn 1, does that count as strongpoints taken?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.