Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have noticed recently when looking at different users' ratings on a game page that some ratings have horizontal lines both above and below the number, while others have only a single line above or below. What does this mean, if anything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Andy Parsons wrote:
I have noticed recently when looking at different users' ratings on a game page that some ratings have horizontal lines both above and below the number, while others have only a single line above or below. What does this mean, if anything?

Can you give a URL of an example? I have not noticed this, and don't see it e.g. at https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9823/advanced-squad-lead...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
That's strange, I see those lines on the ASL page you linked to. A possible reason that occurs to me is that I was a beta tester for the new game page design. I still see a feedback button when I go to a game page. Could the lines be another hangover from testing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a beta tester, the button is still there for everyone, and I don't see lines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm forced to conclude that I must be hallucinating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
There is hope for my sanity. I've been seeing lines while using Google Chrome this evening. I just tried Microsoft Edge and don't see them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Coffin
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland and Labrador
flag msg tools
I like trains.
badge
Nikola Tesla, Rockstar Scientist
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy Parsons wrote:

If it's what I think you're talking about, I've seen it too. I'm guessing your browser zoom level is set to 125%.

Certain zoom levels in Google Chrome cause rounding errors in the pixel positions for the images used to render the rating. These rounding errors cause a 1-pixel gap above and below the rating.

So no, you're not hallucinating. :-)

As for the fix, I defer to the BGG dev team.

Edit: It may happen only on certain platforms or browser versions. I just tried unsuccessfully to reproduce it on a MacBook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You are right, it is to do with zoom level. I was seeing the lines at 90%. They vanished when I increased the zoom to 100%.

Odd though that the lines weren't appearing consistently above and below. I briefly imagined that I had discovered some super secret BGG system for grading ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
FWIW over the years I've seen all kinds of odd pixel artifacts and erroneous cruft in browsers. Sometimes it disappears by scrolling a page up and down so that the misrendered section leaves the screen then returns correctly rendered! It seems rendering a webpage correctly is harder than one might think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.