Hide
12 Posts

1830: Railways & Robber Barons» Forums » Rules

Subject: The 50% limit in the bank pool rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
SamePlayerShootAgain AnotherPlayerTurn
msg tools
The AH rule says that "No further stock in a Corporation may be sold if the Bank Pool already holds 50% of the stock in that Railroad".

So for example if I own 20% of a corporation, and there are 50% stock in the Pool, I can sell my 20% first by buying 10% from the Pool (I now own 30% and 40% are left in the Pool) then by selling all my stock. Do I understand the rule correctly?

It seems that the MFG rules are different. They state "There may never be more than 5 certificates of any single corporation in the bank pool", which does not allow me to sell all my stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Allard
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
harven wrote:
The AH rule says that "No further stock in a Corporation may be sold if the Bank Pool already holds 50% of the stock in that Railroad".

So for example if I own 20% of a corporation, and there are 50% stock in the Pool, I can sell my 20% first by buying 10% from the Pool (I now own 30% and 40% are left in the Pool) then by selling all my stock. Do I understand the rule correctly?

It seems that the MFG rules are different. They state "There may never be more than 5 certificates of any single corporation in the bank pool", which does not allow me to sell all my stock.

The Mayfair rules are really just a clearer explanation of the original rules. There can never be more than 50% of a company in the stock market (Bank Pool).

JimA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JimA759 wrote:

The Mayfair rules are really just a clearer explanation of the original rules.

JimA

(Ducks and runs for cover)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
At no point may the pool contain more than 5 shares of any given company.

The relevant rules are:

12.0: 2) No further stock in a Corporation may be sold if the Bank Pool already holds 50% of the stock in that Railroad.

13.0: By means of this procedure a player can relinquish his position as president in any situation where the necessary amount of stock can be sold (i.e., no more than 50% of the total shares will appear in the Pool)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mitton
United States
North Andover
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay the rules have been stated. Your understanding seems to be flawed by thinking you could get around this by "selling all your stock" when there is 40% in the pool.

No. You cannot cause there to be more than 50% by your sales. So, you are prevented from selling any at this time.

And personally, I think the AH rules are better to quote percentages rather than certificates, because not all certs are 10%. Particularly with the variant companies that MG added to the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Thanks for the clarification. I thought that the quote in parenthesis (13.0) only applied when there is a change of president. D. Mitton's post is also quite helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's not the constraint. Rather, it is the "further" in 12.0. As a player sells shares, even if multiple shares all sold in a single action, if there comes a point at which the pool holds 50%, no further shares may be sold, be it from that set or later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Jim Allard says:
The Mayfair rules are really just a clearer explanation of the original rules.

It seems to me though that the rules concerning the private companies auction are quite different. For example, under the AH rules, the first player can start by buying the svn&rr, in which case no other players has a chance to buy that private company. In contrast, under the MFG rules, all players can bid on the svn&rr and get a chance to buy this company.
Am I correct?

EDIT: I just noticed that there is a special section dedicated to the legacy private auction mechanism in the Mayfair rules p26.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
Afaik the Mayfair rules aim to follow the AH rules. They just want to clear up some ambiguities. I don't believe the private company auction works any different in the Mayfair version. The only difference I see is that they prescribe how to perform the auction for a specific private company, whereas the AH rules don't specify how to do that. To me, while figuring out the rules, Steve Thomas' rules clarifications were a great help. I found the different versions of the Mayfair rules (base game vs classic vs variants) confusing, so I went with the AH rules and Steve Thomas' clarifications. Also: playing the DOS version of the game helps in getting a feel for the game and its rules. (Plus it's fun!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
harven wrote:
It seems to me though that the rules concerning the private companies auction are quite different. For example, under the AH rules, the first player can start by buying the svn&rr, in which case no other players has a chance to buy that private company. In contrast, under the MFG rules, all players can bid on the svn&rr and get a chance to buy this company.
Am I correct?

No. The rules do not differ. The trigger private can only be bought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dmitton wrote:
And personally, I think the AH rules are better to quote percentages rather than certificates, because not all certs are 10%. Particularly with the variant companies that MG added to the box.

But there's never a case where the president stock would be in the bank pool. So saying 5 certs. seems like a solid explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Some 1830 variants have non-director's certificates that represent multiple shares and are 20% or even larger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.