Asher Thee Gravedigger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking at putting together ​some games for a convention next month, and I had some questions about OMD. How long does it take to teach the game, and how long for a 4 vs 4?

I'm thinking I'll have two people handling the setup, do a pair of warmup games, and then a combined 4 vs 4. I've got 4 hour blocks to work with on the schedule, which should be plenty of time for a learning game and then a rivalry game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
TheeGravedigger wrote:
I'm looking at putting together ​some games for a convention next month, and I had some questions about OMD. How long does it take to teach the game, and how long for a 4 vs 4?

I'm thinking I'll have two people handling the setup, do a pair of warmup games, and then a combined 4 vs 4. I've got 4 hour blocks to work with on the schedule, which should be plenty of time for a learning game and then a rivalry game.

With a full group of 8 players it can take anywhere from 90 minutes to a few hours. Normally for co-op I estimate 20-30 minutes per player (so a four player co-op would be about an hour and a half to two hours).

However, with Rivalry the game sometimes ends earlier than you think - because one team can get an edge and kill your rift faster than you expect. At other times it takes 2-3 hours (or more) because there's 8 people each agonizing over their turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Thee Gravedigger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply Arthur. Is there a good way to do a short 4 player game, as a warmup for the full 8 player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a short game, you could toss them into a tougher map. After all, the quickest games are the ones where you're slaughtered in just a few turns

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.