Popular Tags: [View All]
Glitchy Predator
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
I sporadically review games...
badge
... It's a running kidney... Kidneys are kind of my profession...
mbmbmbmbmb
As usual in my reviews, I won’t be rehashing the rules here, as those are readily available if people are interested. Instead I will be focusing on my opinion of the game itself, and the various gameplay mechanisms of the game.

Experience with the game
I was an excited backer of the game on kickstarter, and I really looked forward to the release. I played the game at least once through with each character when it first came out, although as this review will show, my excitement for the game quickly waned and it largely has sat dormant since then. I’ve played at multiple player counts, but that really doesn’t matter.

Rules clarity
The rules are simple and straight forward. The rulebook is sufficient and quick to read, no complaints. It gets the job done.

Components & Art
The game has wonderful components. While the art direction is just OK, it is easy enough to look at. I love the chest that the pieces come in, whether the kickstarter mimic box or not. The dice have a nice weight to them and are fun to throw. The cardboard chits get the job done as well, and are clear. The one advantage the kickstarter edition has is the extra cards for the graveyard and the dragon’s card. They aren’t necessary, but they are a nice touch.

Gameplay
In theory throwing the dice and venturing deeper and deeper into the dungeon sounds fun. How far will you push your luck? How much will you attempt to gain in treasure? But… in reality it doesn’t end up feeling much like pushing your luck. Your decisions to push further or not become formulaic. There are much better games out there for actually pushing your luck.

The game breaks down for me even further with more than 1 player. It is very much multiplayer solitaire. In fact I see no reason to ever play this game with more than one player, since one player is the same as two except you find yourself waiting twice as long to play in the two player version, and you don’t find yourself invested at all in the actions of your opponents.

Scalability
The game doesn’t really scale at all. It doesn’t really matter how many players you play with. It’s like playing solitaire around the table together no matter how many players you have.

Final Thoughts
This game has a beautiful presentation, and sounds like an exciting venture into a dungeon to try and retrieve as much treasure as possible without awakening the dragon, but in practice it is a boring and predictable walk into a dungeon that is really only suitable for a collection that needs a quick solo game that takes zero thought.

Score
3/10

If you enjoyed my review, see my other reviews here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hall
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I do think there are some social benefits of playing with more than one person in some situations(my wife, for instance, isn't a big gamer, but she'll play this with me and we get to spend time together), this review is similar to how I feel. It's different enough from other games I enjoy that I'll still play it now and then, and I still like it enough for that fact, but I agree that there are better, more fun games out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Esch
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
I kind of agree. With my wife, we had two games and put it away. But my 6-year old loves it and can't get enough of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
France
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
After all, a murder is only an extroverted suicide.
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the game in its simple core edition, but found out that it enhanced tremendously with some additions, like the expansions, that add some very nifty characters to choose from, and two fan-made additions found here, the Dungeon Cards and here, the Dragons.

The Dungeons add some interactivity from others when one player is delving ; the Dragons add some unpredictability.

Maybe could it shake it up ? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nebresh wrote:
I kind of agree. With my wife, we had two games and put it away. But my 6-year old loves it and can't get enough of it.

I think many hardened D&D-ers have played this expecting to have a mini-descent experience, but it is super simple and super random. And like you, this is why my 5,6,7 year old boy has thoroughly enjoyed playing it every time.

We actually played it today again for the first time in a few months and we now plan to play before school next week using all the cards, as I kept them away from him to start with. The joy of bagging three potions and pulling half your team back mid-delve is still great fun, as is quaking in your boots as the third dragon die approaches. Maybe it's best as a 2p parent v kid game, as we also thoroughly enjoy the experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.