23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Looking for a moba-style game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have looked at LOAD, Rum & Bones, Guards of Atlantis.

Are there any I'm missing? I think this type of game will be great for me, I just want to weigh the options before I pull the trigger.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also want to look at this Kickstarter as well:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stonecirclegames/battle...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rum & Bones has a new version, Rum & Bones: Second Tide
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Bieberbach
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Demigods Rising: Strategy Miniature Game, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/136317723/demigods-risi...

If it ever ships. Don't hold your breath.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean M
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interested to know which one you pick in the end
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't Mechs vs. Minions supposed to be a moba style game?

Pete (hasn't played but has seen a few reviews)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean M
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Isn't Mechs vs. Minions supposed to be a moba style game?

Pete (hasn't played but has seen a few reviews)

Mechs vs Minions is created by the same company that own League of Legends which is a MOBA.
They type of game MvM is, is not a MOBA. They use characters from that universe though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slydog75 wrote:
Rum & Bones has a new version, Rum & Bones: Second Tide

The Kraken is a nice touch. Really not much else there to standout in terms of a tactical miniatures game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Multiplayer Online Battle Arena

for those of us who didn't know what that meant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZUR13L wrote:

Are there any I'm missing? I think this type of game will be great for me, I just want to weigh the options before I pull the trigger.

Thanks!

What exactly is it, that you are looking for in MOBAs?

- The 1 player = 1 Hero aspect?
- The leveling?
- The Tactical team setup?

Or anything else?

Kind regards,
Kai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Mann
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought that Krosmaster Arena felt like a MOBA, insofar as the battle felt like League of Legends team fighting turned into a board game. If you want to repel waves of enemies, then this may not be right for you. But if you want spatial combat with unique character skills, terrain, etc., then it might be worth looking into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guards of Atlantis: Tabletop MOBA

Haven't played it, etc. At least it has MOBA in its subtitle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schattentanz wrote:
ZUR13L wrote:

Thanks!

What exactly is it, that you are looking for in MOBAs?

- The 1 player = 1 Hero aspect?
- The leveling?
- The Tactical team setup?

Or anything else?

Kind regards,
Kai

Hi! I like many aspects, but you put your finger on two big ones - leveling and tactical team setup.

I love the idea of being able to play a different game every time based on how I skill up a character and I also like team dynamics (i.e. tank, melee damage, ranged damage, support, etc).

So far, I like the stripped-down nature of Guards of Atlantis, but I like the array of characters and interactiveness of the board in Rum & Bones.

Cohesive theme and art style is also really important to me. R&B is probably the strongest there, with LOAD being the weakest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is kind of a quirky suggestion, but it might appeal based on what you say you value. What about a co-op card game like Aeon's End? You each control a character, team composition is important in terms of defining your roles and how you can work together, and you guide your growth over the course of the game, so you can have different builds to react to different situations. It focuses on team dynamics and the same character can play very differently depending on what cards you buy.

Even if it doesn't fit this particular niche, it might be something you'd enjoy if those are aspects of the genre that particularly appeal to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean M
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Guards of Atlantis: Tabletop MOBA

Haven't played it, etc. At least it has MOBA in its subtitle.

Never heard or seen this one before. It actually looks really good, but only 3 reviews on it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmonaut Zero wrote:
This is kind of a quirky suggestion, but it might appeal based on what you say you value. What about a co-op card game like Aeon's End? You each control a character, team composition is important in terms of defining your roles and how you can work together, and you guide your growth over the course of the game, so you can have different builds to react to different situations. It focuses on team dynamics and the same character can play very differently depending on what cards you buy.

Even if it doesn't fit this particular niche, it might be something you'd enjoy if those are aspects of the genre that particularly appeal to you.

Thanks for the suggestion. That is one that's been on my radar.

I guess one of the appealing pieces is the minis themselves. Although, you just reminded me of a possible hit against R&B - someone described it as a "reskinned Summoner Wars" which would be a bummer because while my wife loves SW, I find it very dry and claustrophobic.

Hmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZUR13L wrote:
Cosmonaut Zero wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. That is one that's been on my radar.

I guess one of the appealing pieces is the minis themselves. Although, you just reminded me of a possible hit against R&B - someone described it as a "reskinned Summoner Wars" which would be a bummer because while my wife loves SW, I find it very dry and claustrophobic.

Hmm...

I have both Summoner Wars and Rum & Bones Second Tide and find that comparison weird. I don't see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slydog75 wrote:
I have both Summoner Wars and Rum & Bones Second Tide and find that comparison weird. I don't see it.

Ok, cool. It seemed weird to me, too, until I heard that you can only move orthogonally and then the crews started to remind me of the different SW armies.

That said, R&B does seem more wild (and fun).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleTech or the newer Battletech Introductory Box Set could be used as mechwarrior online alternative tabletop styly.
The rules are flexible enough to play free for all. King of the hill.capture the flag.team v team etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Bieberbach
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZUR13L wrote:

Hi! I like many aspects, but you put your finger on two big ones - leveling and tactical team setup.

I love the idea of being able to play a different game every time based on how I skill up a character and I also like team dynamics (i.e. tank, melee damage, ranged damage, support, etc).

Have you considered the Arcadia Quest games? They seem a little like a MOBA without the lanes. I think they definitely fit the things you list that you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xaliba wrote:

Hey! So I ended up going with R&B 2nd Tide.

I would have preferred a straight fantasy or futuristic game, but R&B was the only one where I liked all the characters equally.

For example, I love the medusa character in LOAD, and I love the sniper in GoA, but I found I just hated at least half of the other characters in each.

None of the toons (sorry, ex-WoW player) in R&B are mind-blowing but I would rate most of them a 7 or higher and for me, especially in a game with a levelling-up mechanic, that matters.

It's also the best combination of mechanics, ie, dice, cards, minis. I'm interested in Sigil but this will do very well in the meantime and permanently, if Sigil turns out to be less than awesome.

The jungling in LOAD is interesting, as are the items, but I'm afraid they would prove too fiddly in the long run. Similarly, I like how stripped-down Guards of Atlantis looks, but I'm afraid it would a bit too dry and claustrophobic over multiple games.

So, there we are.

The ridiculous cameo characters don't hurt either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crouch

Tennessee
msg tools
designer
ZUR13L wrote:
Xaliba wrote:

It's also the best combination of mechanics, ie, dice, cards, minis. I'm interested in Sigil but this will do very well in the meantime and permanently, if Sigil turns out to be less than awesome.

Hey man we will be at Origins and GenCon if you are going to be there and want to give it a shot. We have been making a lot of improvements and looking at September for a Relaunch.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/215571/sigil-powers-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kind of wish Riot would just go for making a true LoL board game. MvM looks to have fantastic production values. If they could make an analog LoL game you could use for LGS tournament play with pre-painted miniatures that would be really exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.