Popular Tags: [View All]
John LeBlanc
United States
Plaistow
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

I was checking out the article list for War in Europe ( http://grognard.com/indexes/w34.html )

Listed are two sources I have never heard of, and found scant reference for online. While I'd love to find the articles, I'm also interested if anyone has seen or heard of these before?

AMERICAN WARGAMER Newsletter
WARGAME NEWS Magazine

Now I am mostly curious, and would like to know more.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cruces
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't find any specific reference to the two titles, but did find this page.

http://tacticalwargamer.com/magazines/magazines.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john bates
England
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wargames News was published in the UK by Emjay. It contained board wargame reviews over about 30 pages. It has long since gone out of production. For anyone interested I have issue 48 for sale on eBay at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John LeBlanc
United States
Plaistow
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you mind adding a link? I am not finding it. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john bates
England
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sorry John I don't know how to create a link.
The game is in ebayuk/toys & games/games/board & tradional games. It's listed as Wargame News 48
Regards
John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
AMERICAN WARGAMER Newsletter was the house newsletter for the American Wargaming Association, a Northeastern based organization that strove to become a national club to replace the International Federation of Wargamers.
Founded in 1973 and merged with the MIT Strategic Gaming Society (MIT-SGS) to become the Strategy Gaming Society some time in the 80s.
At that time the newsletter's name was changed to STRATEGIST.

The content remained the same though: club and hobby news, game reviews, scenarios, variants, and game strategy articles - sometimes even complete small games.
Like most newsletters, the editor used whatever came in across the transom, and wrote the rest himself.

George Phillies was the editor for many of those early years, and I am sure you could get more background from him (though he rarely checks in here).
I edited Strategist in 2000 for a year myself; it sputtered on for a couple of years later but I think it is defunct now.

George Phillies
United States
Worcester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Something that's completing amazing is that I actually knew George from a completely different online hobby years before I ever got into wargaming, and I was really surprised when I learned he was the same guy. :-)

Small world!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
What online hobby was that, Libertarianism?
I know George is deep into that, also writing SF.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Wilson
United States
Skokie
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
AMERICAN WARGAMER Newsletter was the house newsletter for the American Wargaming Association, a Northeastern based organization that strove to become a national club to replace the International Federation of Wargamers.
Founded in 1973 and merged with the MIT Strategic Gaming Society (MIT-SGS) to become the Strategy Gaming Society some time in the 80s.
At that time the newsletter's name was changed to STRATEGIST.

The content remained the same though: club and hobby news, game reviews, scenarios, variants, and game strategy articles - sometimes even complete small games.
Like most newsletters, the editor used whatever came in across the transom, and wrote the rest himself.

George Phillies was the editor for many of those early years, and I am sure you could get more background from him (though he rarely checks in here).
I edited Strategist in 2000 for a year myself; it sputtered on for a couple of years later but I think it is defunct now.

George Phillies
United States
Worcester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Brian

Off topic, but just wanted to put in a plug for George's book, Designing Modern Strategy Games. I don't use it as a text for my courses, but I use it as a resource. I particularly like the Game Problems chapter with ideas for using existing games as springboards for demonstrating concepts in design or understanding mechanics, as well as the game summaries. I own this one and his book on Designing Wargames--An Introduction. I love the way he riffs off existing games to teach the theories. Both books certainly stoke the boilers of my lesson planning and lab sessions.

More "on-topic," does anyone have any copies or PDFs available of the Corner of the Table (The Arneson and Wesley Era in Minnesota gaming), Canadian Wargamer (long before Canadian Wargamers Journal), or Walter Luc-Haas' Europa? If I could purchase at a reasonable price or be granted (for educational purposes--honest) a PDF of some of those issues it would be invaluable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Wilson
United States
Skokie
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duh!

Found the April 1975 Europa (representing issues 6-8?) on the following website:
www.whiningkentpigs.com/DW/oldzines/europa6-8.pdf
and it's strange because I had searched before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cruces wrote:
Didn't find any specific reference to the two titles, but did find this page.

http://tacticalwargamer.com/magazines/magazines.htm

There were a lot more than that, my own Perfidious Albion got to over a hundred issues and won two Charlies. As the piece notes, it's how we linked up back then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John LeBlanc
United States
Plaistow
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.