Aeon's End» Forums » General

Subject: Updated version? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just heard about this game a few days ago, looked at gameplay, and was immediately sold on the game. However, I stumbled across the recent kickstarter for the standalone expansion (that is, of course, already over) on my way to purchase the game. It mentioned that there will be an upgrade pack for the base game available later this year for $10 +shipping.

So the main question I have is: Will there be a core box with the upgrades already included available later (a version 1.5 if you will)?

I'm not keen on buying a copy of the game now only to have it be outdated in 4-ish months. But if there's not going to be reprint with all the updates in it (ie: I have to buy the upgrade pack anyway), I'd rather not hold off on picking the game up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. I don't know about that, though it would make sense and you'd need the SKU to be sure of which version you're buying.

I just wanted to mention that, as far as I understand, the gameplay is unchanged by that upgrade. Graphics are changed, and some components quality (mainly the gates) are better in War Eternal - but I'm not even sure if a new Aeon's End would contain the new gates. (Having the gates from War Eternal would be enough for both games, by the way.)
Which is the same as to say if you're only looking at the gameplay, the current game is enough as it is. Sure, people reselling their copies a year from now will have to discount it a bit if it doesn't have the upgrade, but they shouldn't have to discount it so much, in my opinion.
Having said that, if you're planning to buy only 1 of Aeon's End or War Eternal, I'd be of the opinion to wait for War Eternal and get that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The update pack is purely an aesthetic upgrade. All reprints of all content going forward will be using the same updated look that the update pack provides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
As Kevin said. He should know

- There will be a second printing.
- It will not include the update pack (as in: 1st version of the components + new version of the components.)
- It will have the updated frames, consistent with the first printing of War Eternal.
- Text on cards and mats won't be changed. Both versions are the same except for component quality and card/mat frames.
- The Nemesis mats won't feature the new frames.
- The first printing will be somewhat collector! Get it
- Upgrade pack will be available in small numbers through conventions while supply lasts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Herman - I understand that gameplay is unchanged, but if the publisher is going through all the hassle to upgrade things, why not try to get the better version? I'm betting I'll like the game so I'll probably end up getting everything eventually, but I probably will start with War Eternal since it sounds like I'll need to wait.

Kevin - Any word on when such reprints might hit retail shelves or available for preorder? Is it safe to assume around the same time as War Eternal's release? Also, will there be any indication on the box that signifies it as the upgraded version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctorBandage wrote:
Kevin - Any word on when such reprints might hit retail shelves or available for preorder? Is it safe to assume around the same time as War Eternal's release? Also, will there be any indication on the box that signifies it as the upgraded version?

If you're in a brick and mortar LGS you should not have trouble telling them apart at least by box size. 1st printing is a humongous box, 2nd printing will be a regular-sized box.

I'm guessing the back of the box will show the upgraded components as well.

As for "2nd printing" written all over it, I'll let that one to Kevin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctorBandage wrote:
Herman - I understand that gameplay is unchanged, but if the publisher is going through all the hassle to upgrade things, why not try to get the better version? I'm betting I'll like the game so I'll probably end up getting everything eventually, but I probably will start with War Eternal since it sounds like I'll need to wait.

reprints will be on shelves around the time WE. ~August

The reprint has some wording changes for quality of life & clarity purposes. All gameplay functionality remains the same. Reprinted boxes using the new design will be clearly marked differently from the old ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Wheeler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi Doc Bandage. It may be worth contacting Travis on KS and see if you can get the late pledge (I have no idea if they are doing that) But you could buy the base game and the standalone (which does combine to make a bigger better game) all with the up-dated cards. I backed the old KS and the new one because the game is really awesome, still my number 1 game overall. You can also get the player mat as an add-on with free shipping, plus all the KS and promo content with this. Its worth a try anyway. Best of luck to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's my understanding that there is no late pledge according to a similar question asked here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1766906/late-pledge

That being said, I'd love to late pledge if there is a way to do so. Please prove me wrong on this, I really want to be wrong. At the moment my only recourse is to stalk the action phase games website and hope they offer a pre-order that includes KS content (as I've read they did that for the last KS).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick update. I reached out to Travis on KS and got this reply:

Quote:
Thanks for the question. Unfortunately, we don't use a pledge manager, so once the campaign ends, all pledges are final. You can find them at your friendly local game store this September.

So it is official, there is no late back option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone just told me all of the old art is being redone. I thought only the templates for card information were being updated. I believe there is new art for the basic cards, but are all of the spells, relics, gems, and nemesis cards getting an art overhaul as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The graphic design is getting a major overhaul, not the art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew it! Time to gloat Not that this affects me at all since I didn't get the first release haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qxc0 wrote:
The graphic design is getting a major overhaul, not the art.

This seems a good time to ask what exactly will be changed in the Aeon's End new printing:

New card and mats layout we know. The box will be shallower and different enough that the customer will know whether it is the 1st or 2nd printing. What about the rest?

- Tokens: will they be the same as War Eternal?
- Breaches: will they become tokens with round corners?
- Starter cards: will it feature the controversial Spark artwork?
- Nemesis mats: will they be thicker and with round corners (but with the old layout)?
- Dials: what will happen to them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tokens will be ~similar to as they were before, some will have an updated look
Breaches will be the new version, tokens w/ round corners.
old sparks will use old spark art
nemesis mats will sit better in the box to help prevent warping
dials will have a tighter fastener
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qxc0 wrote:
tokens will be ~similar to as they were before, some will have an updated look
Breaches will be the new version, tokens w/ round corners.
old sparks will use old spark art
nemesis mats will sit better in the box to help prevent warping
dials will have a tighter fastener

Thumbs up to all of these things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tricia Victor
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jadedlithium wrote:
I knew it! Time to gloat Not that this affects me at all since I didn't get the first release haha

But you haven't gotten to enjoy the awesome gameplay!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Pinheiro
Portugal
flag msg tools
mb
Just one question, can I get the 1.5 version in retail right now? Or I have to wait for August reprint? (I just can't wait for my AE-WE copy XD)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 1.5 version will be out when War Eternal is in August/September.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.