Subject: Need help from any of you (if possible)! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dymka C.
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Hi there BGG family,

Some time ago I bought an used copy of Forbidden Star on here from someone with a good trading reputation.

The thing is, the game arrived to me with all of this missing:

24 objectives tokens, 36 structure control tokens, 32 order tokens, 1 round track and 1 track marker, 1 first player token, 36 asset tokens, 16 custom dices, 12 combat tokens, 4 material dials and 4 warp storm token are missing.

The guy who sold it to me didn't realize he lost half of the game before sending it my way... Anyway.

So I wrote to FFG about it to see if I could get some pieces from them directly, here is their answer...

Quote:
Hello!

First of all, let me say that I am sorry about the delay in getting ahold of you. We are receiving a higher volume of emails and parts requests then normally here at the customer service department which has resulted in a slow-down of parts replacement and response to general requests.

I am sorry to say that we are unable to help you with your request. As per our announcement (https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/9/a-new-pa... ) our license has ended with Games Workshop and we no longer have a way to acquire the parts. We suggest that you contact Games Workshop (https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Contact-Us) and inquire if they can help. If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to contact us again!

Thank you!

So naturally I contacted Game Workshop... Here is the response:

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks for writing in to us, although I don't have great news for you. We don't produce any of the component materials for Forbidden Stars, nor were we supplied with leftover stock from the creator. Unfortunately, that leaves us with no way of replacing any missing or damaged materials. If Fantasy Flight no longer has stock of this product, then I'm afraid the second hand market is likely your only option.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

So now I am turning to this community for help.

I have all the minis, the cards and the map pieces, but I am missing all of what I listed above still, making the game quite unplayable since there are customs dices and all and oh well.

If anyone has any spare parts, I would gladly take them hahaha, this seems such an epic game, I would really be able to play it!

Thanks in advance for all of your help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds horrible. Who would sell a game in that condition!?

Your best bet really is to buy another second hand copy, ask only for those items that are lost to get reduce shipping costs. And demand difference refund from original seller.

I could help you there, but there are cheaper copies for sale on GeekMarket that live closer to you :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dymka C.
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Currently there is only 1 canadian copy for 125$+shipping, which is nonsense​ since you can get it new for 120$ with free shipping haha

But yeah I'm not looking on spending 100$+ here... If I could get a better deal it would be awesome.

Thanks for the suggestion though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
The fault lies with the seller. Sounds like you got ripped off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dymka C.
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
In a way I did get screwed but the seller handled it pretty well by refunding the order when he realize he messed up big time... He first told me the game wasn't needing any dice so I sent him a picture of the rulebook with the list of component and he was really impressed since he played without any dice it seems... After that he told me he didn't know where the other missing parts where and I got a refund.

It just pain me to have only half a game seriously haha, I don't want to throw it away or to sell only the minis or whatever so I wanted to look with you guys for a solution.

Seems like I'll buy another copy then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could maybe proxy the tokens without too much trouble... the dice may be a little harder but could maybe use some prototyping dice with blank faces and glue some on (1 morale, 2 shields, 3 bolters)

Some of the tokens aren't even that necessary. Combat tokens are only relevant for 1 round at a time, structure tokens have limited use because they only matter when you abandon a building (no plastic units)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you any good with painting? Sell the miniatures you have now as a painted lot. If that sounds like a lot of effort, it probably isn't much more than having to proxy the missing stuff.

There might be a market for painted armies and structure pieces, that might recoup you enough to pay for a complete copy from elsewhere. So you do end up with a full set of the game (and some extra cards/boards for spare or sale - it's not like anyone can get these off FFG any more).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Sham
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
That's exactly what a Cylon would say!
badge
All is dust...
mbmbmbmbmb
Spapapaw wrote:
In a way I did get screwed but the seller handled it pretty well by refunding the order when he realize he messed up big time... He first told me the game wasn't needing any dice so I sent him a picture of the rulebook with the list of component and he was really impressed since he played without any dice it seems... After that he told me he didn't know where the other missing parts where and I got a refund.

I don't know which of our fellow canucks did this to you, and I'm glad you got your refund, because this frees me up to call BS.

To play this game without dice is remarkable. Achievement Unlocked. You'd have to entirely avoid combat (which was the result of the second action, first turn in my last game), or somehow fail to read the combat rules AND ignore the many cards that have text that literally say reroll/add dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dymka C.
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I know, it amazes me too...

And believe me, I shit you not. I can provide a screencap of said conversation any time you want haha (still all in my GeekMail inbox)

Edit and an update: I still didn't buy another copy or painted/sold the minis. I'm in an overload of work and I don't have the mind to the task.

But the day will come where I will play this game once and for all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dymka C.
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Proof!

And after this message, I realized there was a lot missing in the box (see the list in the first post). There were only the board tiles, minis, cards and rulebook haha

Oh well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dymka C.
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Last question (maybe)

Because there are 8 order token per faction, but only 4 order, does this mean each faction has 2 of each order?

I mean, can you play in the same round 2 dominate order and 2 advance order, for example?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Wokulski
msg tools
Yes, you can play any combination of orders you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dymka C.
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Do you control a world if there is only a structure you own on it?

Meaning that you get the material at the end of the round from this world?

Is the only way to go on a world with an enemy structure, but no unit, is by the advance order? Because if the world is considered neutral you could steal it with some relocation abilities.

Thanks!

Edit: does a bastion count in the total limit unit of a world? If the limit is 2, can you have a bastion and 2 unit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spapapaw wrote:
Do you control a world if there is only a structure you own on it?

Meaning that you get the material at the end of the round from this world?

Is the only way to go on a world with an enemy structure, but no unit, is by the advance order? Because if the world is considered neutral you could steal it with some relocation abilities.

Thanks!

Yes, you own the world even if all you have is a structure on it, so you collect materiel and/or resources from it, it counts when tracing a path for movement etc.

Worlds with other people's structures on them are still hostile, so yes, you need an advance order to move a unit onto them. This counts as a combat even if they only have a defenceless city or factory there (so you will win the combat automatically). This means you can't take over that world, and start a fight elsewhere at the same time - only 1 combat per order. Nor can you "teleport" there with the Chaos dominate ability, or cards that let you relocate units ("Howz we getz 'ere?").

The only breaks to this rule are very specific - the Space Marine's upgraded order for orbital strikes ("Drop Pods") allows you to place a free marine on an enemy world you bombarded. The Eldar combat card "Wave Serpents" lets you move units out of a combat to a world next door, which can start a new combat there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dymka C.
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
This is really appreciated, thanks!

Edit: only need a clarification on bastion and I think I am good to go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kit So
United States
Maryland Heights
Missouri
flag msg tools
First line in the rule book under Bastions: "Bastions are not units"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Bergquist
Sweden
Mölndal
flag msg tools
As boring and sad as it must be, it's not game breaking!
Tokens can be easily printed on some thickish paper, the only hard one is the order tokens as you want them similar enough to not reveal which order it is and need them double sided to show faction and order.
The dice add some nice fluff, but any D6 works with a 1-2 = Moral, 3-4 = Defence, 5-6 = Attack (which numbers are irrelevant, 2 for each)
/Y

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kelly
msg tools
Yamaeda wrote:

The dice add some nice fluff, but any D6 works with a 1-2 = Moral, 3-4 = Defence, 5-6 = Attack (which numbers are irrelevant, 2 for each)
/Y

1 morale side, 2 defence, 3 attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.