Subject: Role Playing Games for 11 year olds rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
benjamin CLOVIS
France
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all,
I am relatively new to board gaming (two years) but am, as my poker friends say "all in". My son is following in my footsteps, and is an avid boardgamer as well. At school however, he has gotten interested in some RPGs organised by one of the organizers. He and his friends are really into RPGs while still being quite vague about what it is they actually do.
While I am happy to host my son and his friends for all sort of boardgames, I am not really up for any RPG action. IS there any role playing game that you guys can recommend that a group of 4 or 5 clever 11 year olds can play with minimal adult supervision?
Much appreciated
clovis

(and I really men RPG, not Mice and Mystics which I consider more of a board game. Cheers)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
I taught myself and my friends D&D at 10. If the kids are nerdy/geeky/into it they're ready for any mainstream RPG or board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll want to ask this over on RPGGeek where other people should have more suggestions for you.

But have a look at Advanced Fighting Fantasy. The rules are simple enough that it's a good starting point, but it's a decent setting with quite a lot of appeal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason R
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No Thank You, Evil!

This is built as a family rag. There are several levels of complexity as far as rules, and the subject matter is great for kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Emilsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
The first RPG experience I had (around the same age as your son) was the Lone Wolf series by Joe Dever. Sure, they're single player books but I imagine they could still be worth to check out.

Seems like they're now published online:
https://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Books

If you would like to have a multiplayer game I would also suggest D&D.

Best of luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Fournier
United States
Columbia Heights
MN
flag msg tools
Brrrrrrr!!!!!
badge
I'm so cute!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe check out Mouse Guard, looks easy and not much to buy, except possibly the comics for inspiration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
clovisIII wrote:

IS there any role playing game that you guys can recommend that a group of 4 or 5 clever 11 year olds can play with minimal adult supervision?

I learned to play D&D when I was around 11 (maybe 12.) And that was back when it was "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons."

I haven't played 5th edition yet, but it seems like every edition since 3rd has been greatly simplifying the system (I don't mean that in a bad way) so if anything it's probably even better for an 11 year old now than it was back then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clovisIII wrote:
While I am happy to host my son and his friends for all sort of boardgames, I am not really up for any RPG action. IS there any role playing game that you guys can recommend that a group of 4 or 5 clever 11 year olds can play with minimal adult supervision?
Much appreciated

As people have said you need to ask over on RPGGeek. Just click RPGs on the top line.

I guess your son and his friends are going to be most comfortable in French and not English. I think that the 5th edition D&D Player's Handbook (all you really need) has just been translated to French. I know Tunnels & Trolls is also available in French too. Or something like Star Wars would be a good choice - look for "Star Wars - Aux Confins de l'Empire : Kit d'initiation" (or any of the kit d'initiation / beginner kits in English). They literally walk a GM through running their first adventure and come complete with the special dice you need for FFG Star Wars. There is an English follow-on adventure on FFG, although I don't know if it has been translated. The starter kits don't have character generation so to move on from that you need to buy the core rulebook. If they want to play more powerful Jedis then the Force et Destinée kit is the one to go for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Gibson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How to train your dragon the rpg
http://www.korpg.com/downloads/httyd_rpg.pdf

Also, monsters and other childish things (maoct) by Benjamin Baugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
joel4nier wrote:
Maybe check out Mouse Guard, looks easy and not much to buy, except possibly the comics for inspiration.

I like Mouse Guard the comic book and all things mice with swords related. After hearing a ton of praise about Mouse Guard the RPG I finally picked it up when it got reprinted.

It is the most complicated, obtuse, unintuitive, difficult to learn game of any sort I have ever seen referred to as family friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Noe
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Love live the Empress!
badge
For the Motherland!
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
joel4nier wrote:

I like Mouse Guard the comic book and all things mice with swords related. After hearing a ton of praise about Mouse Guard the RPG I finally picked it up when it got reprinted.

It is the most complicated, obtuse, unintuitive, difficult to learn game of any sort I have ever seen referred to as family friendly.

I agree 100%. This is not a good RPG to learn from. Even a seasoned role player like me does not find this system easy to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Noe
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Love live the Empress!
badge
For the Motherland!
mbmbmbmbmb
You also might want to consider the Pathfinder Beginners Box. My kids use it started at around 7 years old and you can slowly introduce the full Lathfinder rules over time, if they want a more crunchy system later on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
benjamin CLOVIS
France
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you all for your advice. Much to think about. Will go over some of these choices with my son, and let you know what we ultimately decide. I see a lot has happened since I was an 11 year old playing D&D.blush

edited to ad: if you have more recommendations, keep them coming. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.