Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oker C
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With 30+ games under my belt, the only investigator who has felt designed wrong is Mark Harrigan.

His abilities:
* Action: You and 1 Monster on your space each lose 1 Health.
* You cannot become Delayed or gain a Detained Condition unless you choose to.

Most of the investigators in EH have some synergy in their two abilities.

Examples:
* Jacqueline acquires clues so that she can give them where needed.
* Trish generates clues and can use clues better than others.
* Akachi can change gate locations so that she can move through the world closing them.
* Leo focuses on wilderness spaces without losing out on assets, only through allies.
* Pretty much all the expansion characters follow this template, where the action works in conjunction with the passive.

Additionally, many of the investigators have teamwork elements, usually in the form of rolling additional die if in a particular space.

I've now permanently changed his passive ability on my character sheet so that there's synergy with his unique action and to work thematically with the fact that he's a soldier.

Redesigned ability:
* Action: You and 1 Monster on your space each lose 1 Health.
* Investigators on your space ignore monsters when taking Rest and Acquire Assets actions.

Mark's problem has always been that his passive is weak except in edge cases, doesn't work well thematically and has zero teamwork elements. With this minor change, he is able to as a soldier protect other investigators as they perform vulnerable actions. He can now damage a monster and himself, and then heal up the damage. It also greatly fixes the big problem with his original design of being a monster killer: his absurdly low sanity. It's still too low to take on the tougher monsters, but now you can recover one sanity per round by resting.

Anyway, it's a minor tweak that doesn't change the original stats. He has become a much more enjoyable character to (role)play now and I suggest you at least try this out.

I've also entertained the idea of changing his stamina/sanity from 8/4 to 7/5, but I feel I'm entering dangerous territory with design purity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You do what you like with your game, to be sure. However, you've changed my favorite thing about Mark. I love how much of a badass the ability can make him. Mark doesn't care about Bermuda Triangles. He just burns down Hedge mazes. That is by far the most awesome part about role playing this guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kinda like it. It's not a very intrusive rule change and it's worth playtesting. Mark does need the help...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering if might work to change his Action instead, to "1 Monster on your space loses 1 Health" It's powerful, but it's still only conditionally ueseful. Granted, it doesn't solve the thematic problem of the two abilities being unrelated, but plenty of folks like Jim Culver and George Barnaby have no obvious synergy between their active and their passive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Mark could use a minor tweak, but ignoring monsters seems counter-thematic. I would be more likely to go with just dropping him taking damage with his active ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Xelto wrote:
I think Mark could use a minor tweak, but ignoring monsters seems counter-thematic. I would be more likely to go with just dropping him taking damage with his active ability.

"Whenever you take damagelose health, do 1 damage to a monster on our space."

Edit: gotta keep it synergistic with his action ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pettersson
Sweden
Arvika
flag msg tools
Small tortoiseshell butterfly
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelto wrote:

How about changing it so that other investigators (not Mark himself) on the same space may ignore monsters.

In effect, Mark is holding off the monsters, allowing others to ignore them if they have something more important to do? Possibly losing health while doing it if it is too overpowered.

I can see Mark standing in the door, firing his revolver down the hallway with Daisy Walker frantically searches the apartment of a cultist for clues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
psson73 wrote:
Xelto wrote:

How about changing it so that other investigators (not Mark himself) on the same space may ignore monsters.

In effect, Mark is holding off the monsters, allowing others to ignore them if they have something more important to do?
Tommy Muldoon has a similar ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pettersson
Sweden
Arvika
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
Tommy Muldoon has similar ability.

Ooops, I actually thought about Tommy's active ability but forgot about his passive.

In that case the intent of my suggestion for Mark is a direct duplicate of Tommy's passive, and as such no good. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
psson73 wrote:
haroth9842 wrote:
Tommy Muldoon has similar ability.

Ooops, I actually thought about Tommy's active ability but forgot about his passive.

In that case the intent of my suggestion for Mark is a direct duplicate of Tommy's passive, and as such no good. shake
Thematically it's a duplicate.
Mechanically it's not. Tommy protects during the Encounter phase, proposed-Mark during the Action phase. But those abilities would surely be confused with one another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik O'Rourke
Ireland
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You would be surprised, (or not if you play him often enough) at how strong Mark can get once someone has Instill Bravery on him and he has a willpower boosting item and gets to Rome early and gets +1 or +2 just how insane he can be.

now, i know it's not the case in every game, just as 4 health investigators die easier, it's much more common to lose sanity in this game, but i've had those games where Mark and a Shotgun, or Lightning Gun, Holy Spear, or even just his Revolver, went around blasting everything in sight. He gets a free 1 damage on epics, can move and snipe 1 health baddies for other investigators, or snipe then move, and the awesome ability of not being delayed.. i mean yeah, he's not my favorite dude, but every game, for some silly reason, he seems to spiral out of control and become and unstoppable killing machine.. am i the only one?!

now Wilson Richards, that mofo DIES every game of mine, and usually by turn 2 or 3.. no idea why haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb

Health 7, Sanity 5 I think would go a long way to making Mark more useful.

I don't know if this would be too much but make his special action have "take another action" tacked onto it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pettersson
Sweden
Arvika
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iGniGhted wrote:
You would be surprised, (or not if you play him often enough) at how strong Mark can get once someone has Instill Bravery on him and he has a willpower boosting item and gets to Rome early and gets +1 or +2 just how insane he can be.

Might try him more, at least against Shub-Niggurath he could be helpful with all the monster killing going on.

Mostly we use Lily Chen in a similar role. Her double upgrade ability can really pay off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iGniGhted wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised. It's hard to not be powerful in this setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oker C
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I acknowledge that Mark is greatly enhanced by a spellcaster with instill bravery, and that he can snowball.

I also acknowledge YMMV.

The problem in my games is that Mark either does well or he is dead weight, with little in between. Tommy Muldoon shares many of the same roles and limitations (namely the low sanity and combat focus), but his passive is incredibly useful since the game's more about closing gates and succeeding at encounters. He has just enough sanity to survive tough fights.

If the conditions (ie: Instill Bravery, King James Bible) aren't right, Mark can't fight nor do well in encounters. With 2 sanity damage, Mark's got to disengage from fights and heal or he doesn't survive many of the mythos effects. At least when Tommy fails at combat, he can move the monster and enter the now empty space.

It's nice to not change his weakness, and instead makes him more stable. It doesn't make him as good as a Lily Chen or even a Diana Stanley, but puts him about on par with Silas with a skill that works well with his passive even when doing poorly.

So many of the game's effects that cause delay are choices anyway. And with detentions, I find myself almost always favouring location encounters in cities, and wilderness/sea spaces don't have many detention in failures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.