Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the movement in this event carried out in the event phase (the word immediately seem to suggest this), if this is the case dose this mean that the 6 Corps can also move in the movement phase of the same turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
junkers doll
msg tools
Yes because of the word "immediately". And yes because they become Active as a result of the card.

At least, that's the way I've played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
junkers wrote:
Yes because of the word "immediately". And yes because they become Active as a result of the card.

Correct. The card is meant to reflect Ney's being overly eager, potentially rushing his corps far forwards of any supporting forces. However, as is occasionally the case on the battlefield, those sorts of aggressive tendencies can actually work to your favor. So when the card is drawn Ney's corps will "immediately" dash forward (potentially into enemy ZOCs, from where they'll be required to attack) and then, assuming they're not actually in contact with the enemy yet, may be in a position from which it's advantagous to continue their advance. The event's a two-edged sword: depending on the on-map situation when it's drawn it can be either harmful or helpful to the French player.

Lance McMillan
Developer for VPG's "Napoleonic 20" series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries thanks, I thought this was the case.

Just wanted to check as the British are going to be in big trouble before the first night, with Ney being able to clear the slopes and really threaten the British left in force.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played two games of Bussaco. We had a great time, but I'm afraid we may have played this card incorrectly.

The card says, "Immediately move all [the 6 Corps] units up to two (2) hexes each towards the nearest Allied unit."

We interpreted this as meaning that each unit from the 6 Corps could be moved 0, 1, or 2 hexes (i.e., "up to 2") towards the nearest friendly unit. That's not correct, I guess? You meant "up to" in a different sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wkover wrote:
We interpreted this as meaning that each unit from the 6 Corps could be moved 0, 1, or 2 hexes (i.e., "up to 2") towards the nearest friendly unit. That's not correct, I guess? You meant "up to" in a different sense?

Right, the intent here is to try and reflect Ney's (historical) impetuosity, his propensity for launching attacks without orders or without coordinating support from the other corps commanders (and often doing so with the worst possible timing).

What the card is meant to do is require the player to advance all the 6eme Corps units into contact (or as far forward into contact as possible) with Allied units before the French player's normal Movement Phase (i.e. during the French event phase). The French player doesn't get to "choose" how far he advances the units, he must advance them up to the required two hexes, with the only way to advance a shorter distance being that they've come into contact with an Allied unit before completing that mandated 2-hex advance.

When done correctly (e.g. as intended), this accomplishes two things:
= First, it often forces the 6eme Corps units into attacking that turn.
= Second, it often forces them to conduct those attacks in such a way that it's difficult for other (non-6eme Corps) units to be committed to support those attacks (e.g. blocking the approach routes of the other units).

Now, occasionally, the card will produce a slightly different effect, making Ney look like a genius rather than a hot-head. The card requires the 6eme Corps units to advance two hexes during the Event Phase, and that advance must be towards an Allied unit, but if 6eme Corps can't actually come into contact with the Allies (e.g. its units don't enter Allied ZOCs) then it's almost like giving those units a "free move." Note that there's nothing on the card which prevents the 6eme Corps units from moving again, during the normal French Movement Phase. I've seen the card allow Ney to conduct some pretty dramatic flanking maneuvers this way.

So the take away is that the "Le Rougeaud" event can be a two-edged sword, depending on where you have Ney's corps when you draw it.

Hope that clears things up.

Lance McMillan
Developer for VPG's "Napoleonic 20" series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's very helpful. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.