Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruno
United Kingdom
Stoke Gifford
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm reorganising my cards in the box, to make it easier to set up regardless of what expansion I'm playing with. I just wanted to confirm which expansion cards - those that add to the original decks - can also be used with just the base game; so I can leave them mixed in their decks at all times.

Obviously, the 'extra' missions for original contacts are dependant on the expansion boards being in play, so I'm keeping those separate from the rest.

What about supply cards though? Are there any of the 'extra' supply cards that don't really work without the relevant expansion?

Ideally I would like to limit having to mix in/take out cards as much as possible. How does everyone else organize their cards, or do you always play with all expansions, and mix in all cards all the time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nav Charts: Rim Space (from the Kalidasa expansion, one copy in the Space Bazaar deck, 2 copies in the Persephone deck) are really only useful if you are playing with at least one of the board expansions (otherwise, there is no Rim Space, so the card becomes a $300 tech skill point piece of gear).

Mudders may lose some of their appeal if you're not playing with Kalidasa, as you couldn't sell them off to Higgins, but having a $100 crewmember with a tech skill can still come in handy.

The rest aren't really location dependant. But the thing I've run into most is with "Pirates and Bounty Hunters" cards. If you aren't playing with Piracy or Bounty Hunting, many of that expansions cards lose some of their functionality. Many still have partial benefits, so may still come in handy, but a few become worthless Shee-niou Alliance crap (sonic rifles)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Most of the PBH stuff is still useful if you're not using PvP rules - in fact, some are outright awesome, while others provide different options (for example, I've used Booby Traps many times as a convenient way to get access to Explosives without having to take up a Gear slot).

As Jay notes, though Alliance Sonic Rifles become utterly useless, but I think they're the only ones. Even the Nav Charts: Rim Space are pretty good bargain for only +1 Tech.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
As Jay notes, though Alliance Sonic Rifles become utterly useless, but I think they're the only ones.

In all the games I've played using P&BH I've NEVER seen them bought!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
To the OP: I concur with the existing comments. And an alternative to tedious separating could be to simply redraw if an expansion card turns up that you feel has lost some of its potential. And then allow those cards to remain in the discards as options for others. As Gwek stated, most are still a fairly good value, even if a bit of their potential is lost sans expansion board. The heart of the game will keep on beatin'--Find a crew. Find a job. Keep flyin'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.