Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have any thoughts as to upsides/downsides to using a 3x4 board with 2p?

Without variants, do any of you build 2nd and 3rd restaurants in a 2p game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
I think the limitations on houses, drinks, and paths are an important part of the game. If players have a lot of room the competitive dynamic would be compromised. There's also a lot of play with the drink buyers and marketers that would suffer from a larger 2 player map. If anything, I would rather play it on a smaller map =)

I build multiple locations in 2 player games all the time. If my opponents don't leave themselves vulnerable to a rush strategy the game will often become a heavy price war. The Regional Manager in particular is an incredibly powerful tool in these situations. With proper positioning (both on the board and turn order) you can completely the control the price war by moving/building new locations to change the expected price distance calculations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Palmer Eldritch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see people having the desire to play 2p on a larger map, but I think that on balance it would detract from the 2p experience rather than add to it.

The thing that does bug me about the 3x3 grid used for two player is the fact that you can affect every house on the board by setting up radio advertising on the centre tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VinegarBob wrote:
I can see people having the desire to play 2p on a larger map, but I think that on balance it would detract from the 2p experience rather than add to it.

The thing that does bug me about the 3x3 grid used for two player is the fact that you can affect every house on the board by setting up radio advertising on the centre tile.

That is part of my motivation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
If marketing to the whole board with a radio campaign is something you don't like, I'm wondering what would happen if you played a 2P game on a 2x4 board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Palmer Eldritch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WilbertK wrote:
If marketing to the whole board with a radio campaign is something you don't like, I'm wondering what would happen if you played a 2P game on a 2x4 board.

That's interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
A 2x4 board makes it more of a race for the airplane. With less central orthogonal adjacency there will be less room for housing developments and some marketing placements. Nerfs radio, mailbox, and billboard. Has some interesting pricing implications as well. If each player locates centrally they could each have a tile with a 3 distance (not enough for the milestone alone to compete). Paths may end up with less completed routes. Value of the zeppelin/errand Boy milestone goes up. I'd try it =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.