BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] Return to Netheros rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Goulding
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
First post on here but I wanted to get all excited about my game I have in development: Return to Netheros. First play-test should be tonight and I am a little excited to see what works and what doesn't. If you are interested I'll try to keep some sort of log on here by posting replies to this thread. I hope to eventually create a "Download and Play" version so that other people can provide feedback etc so that I know the game works. Got to actually play the thing myself first! Here is my badly worded backstory (still needs tweaking) and I'll post again tomorrow to let you know how tonight's first ever playtest of the mechanics went!

VERY EXCITED!

Return To Netheros

Nethoros once thrived with the hustle and bustle of any populated word. People shopped, fought, loved, died and worked. Then came the sundering. The plague to end all. The Council of Netheros decided that each race should retreat to their own subterranean shelter, where the finest specimens of each race were to be preserved. The scientists anticipated that it would take a millennium for the world to be safe enough for these people to emerge and so the timer was set.
The land of this world is ready for repopulation. The sundering has passed, and now is the time for a new beginning. The Acastian Vaults have held the remaining survivors from each race safely, in suspension for a millennium. Now is the time of the emergence. These emerging creatures will once again try to lay claim to the lands of their forbearers and repopulate the once again lush and healthy areas of this world. The old ways have long been forgotten. War and Famine replace cooperation and understanding. Can your race survive? What will remain once the conquering forces have completed their advances?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Goulding
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
All set up and ready for the first playtest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Goulding
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
First playtest was really useful. Some aspects worked great, others need completely rewriting, others need a little tweaking.

It was great fun to sit and actually play a game I created, even if I have found quite a few fixes that need making. Hopefully with a day off work tomorrow, I can address them and have another playtest tomorrow night.

There are some issues with balance but the mechanics need to be fully nailed down before I address the balance issues that currently exist sonthat the game is more fair for all players, otherwise at present, the player that draws the "Elf" race card at the beginning will almost always win the military aspect of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice components...how much of that did you do before vs. after playtesting?

I have a weakness for fancy components so often flip between mechanics tests and "let's go shopping for free icons and cheap minis to make this look cooler". Big no-no in formal design but can't help it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Goulding
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
That was all pre-playtest. Didn't spend any money. It's all stuff stolen from games I own or paper stuck to cardboard boxes and then cut out.

I might have been wrong but it felt quicker to quickly throw something together on the computer and print it than to scribble it by hand. Especially as I needed 90 of the square tiles.

The cards are just printed on plain paper and cut out.

My "armies" are actually trains from Ticket to Ride.

I don't think I wasted too much time, but on the plus side it made playtesting feel like an actual game. At the end of the day I am doing it for fun, and the way I see it is if I enjoy what I am doing, then forget the "prototyping guides" that are telling me I am doing too much. This is a hobby, not a job. If I am not having fun, then what's the point.

I was tempted like you say to go shopping for miniatures, and probably will, a long time before I am "supposed" to do it.

As far as I am concerned, if you are doing it for a hobby, and having fun, then you are doing it right. Forget "Formal Design"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Goulding
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Tried making a digital prototype to playtest on Tabletopia. Need to figure out how to make the cards and things more readable. Perhaps if I double the size of everything that might do the trick for the digital version.

Could also do to make meepke and wooden blocks smaller. Perhaps coin shaped tokens would be less obtrusive on the board.

Would be much easier to make tweaks and changes on a digital prototype perhaps.

Ah well. I'll sleep on it and have a think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Goulding
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
OK, I think I have the digital playtest sorted on Tabletopia but it was a bit of a faff. Please ignore the awful graphics as I have yet to get the mechanics to a stage where I am happy to commission artwork. Any questions please ask them here so I can keep a log of things people are asking and hopefully make the game better.

https://tabletopia.com/playground/return-to-netheros-tmx45p/...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Goulding
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, silly me. I realised I hadn't put a copy of the rules on here. Feel free to take a look and send any comments suggestions.

These are V1.1 so they still have plenty of room for alteration and changes.

I look forward to hearing back about them.

https://tabletopia.com/games/return-to-netheros/rules/return...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.