Hide
8 Posts

The Resistance: Avalon» Forums » Variants

Subject: 1 Player Lancelot? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Cart
msg tools
So I'm a bit confused as to why Lancelot is played by 2 people at once...is there a variant where it's just one? Thematically this really bugs me...

Perhaps the Lancelot player is know by all, but starting alignment is unknown? Can switch later as variant 1? Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
The mechanical reason for 2 is that then there's always the same number of spies. Once Lancelot could be too swingy when there are only 3 spies. Could be worth a shot with 10 players, though; I'd recommend not making Lance's identity public so spies and BSC rebels can claim it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
Could be worth a shot with 10 players

Presumably replacing one of the 4 spies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Resistance they are called defectors, you could just call them that (or think of them as that). Another alternative would be to give a single Lancelot the reverse ability, probably resistance reverser. You would need to make an extra set of pass/fail cards (do would need opaque card sleeves). Lancelot can then play pass or reverse, of a reverse is played them the result of the mission is reversed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
MD1616 wrote:
Could be worth a shot with 10 players

Presumably replacing one of the 4 spies?

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Could also help with balance since 10P is so spy-favoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cart
msg tools
Thanks for all of your responses. Perhaps the Lancelot player doesn't count as either side when counting how many players are in the game? Thus a 6 player game with a wildcard Lancelot player would count as a 5 player game. It would seem that Lancelot might have to be known to all (or assigned by Merlin or something). I'm new to this game so I'm not really sure what would work...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CabotArt wrote:
Perhaps the Lancelot player doesn't count as either side when counting how many players are in the game? Thus a 6 player game with a wildcard Lancelot player would count as a 5 player game.

If the Lancelot player switches allegiance then this could only work 9p, otherwise as soon as he is evil he can claim his role and the minions can win by voting against every mission proposal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cart
msg tools
Good Point!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.