Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shiloh Christie
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ive played with LOME and WOME together now for the last 9 games. I also have read the Anniversary edition companion strategy guide also (something that will probably be in pdf form soon I'm sure).
I'm really starting to like this expansion a lot. I think it takes 5 games to really get used to some of the new rules and deck. However, once you cross that learning curve, the game really opens up in a new way with strategies as you begin to see new card combos with the original cards. Only after 9 games can I truly appreciate all the factions and what they bring to the table. Once you know the rules and know how to use them the game deepens in a new way.

WOTR is a tough game to learn at first so I definitely wouldnt delve into the expansions until you've played the base game about 15 times or so. However once you do, give it time to sink for a few games and you will appreciate the options and depth it presents to an already great game. For me, I never play w/o both expansions anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game with all the expansions together a few days ago. Halfway through I was a bit disappointed with all the extra stuff. Especially compared to how great the sleek 2nd Edition base game is already! But by the end I could see how WOME adds something special to the game without bogging it down the way it often would in the original 1st Edition CE (e.g., Dunlendings, Corsairs, Ents and Siege Engines). Supposedly, Siege Engines will be re-introduced in the next expansion, probably along the same lines as in WOME. Would that expansion be called SOME?

WOME is really not very invasive at all (far less than LOME IMO), except for the additional table space it takes up!

Tactically, though, it loses some of the surprise attack tension that the card-driven versions of the Ents and Dead Men of Dunharrow have in the 2nd Ed. base game. Now it takes time to build your army of Ents and/or Dead Men, so the SP can see what's coming well in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bamonson wrote:
Tactically, though, it loses some of the surprise attack tension that the card-driven versions of the Ents and Dead Men of Dunharrow have in the 2nd Ed. base game. Now it takes time to build your army of Ents and/or Dead Men, so the SP can see what's coming well in advance.

I concur. Then again, there's the bluffing element. The Shadow player doesn't know which Faction cards you've drawn, so the build up of Ents or Dead Men can be very intimidating even if you don't have the appropriate attack cards in hand.

With Corsairs able to navigate up to Osgiliath and adjacent Gondor regions, there's a lot more resupply and surprise attack options available than with the single Corsairs card in the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc M
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer to play with WoME, but the expansion adds enough extra components and complexity that I find my more casual gamer friends asking to play without WoME (they have no prob with LoME). Shame.

When WoME is removed, I find myself forgetting that certain options are also gone (for ex. Aragorn escaping a losing siege, or characters passing through the mountains, via the Dead Men cards) and I have to readjust my thinking.

The Western Way is a literal game changer.

The corsairs can move armies into the NW theater quite rapidly given the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, I've really warmed to the factions over a few games, once you get the hang of them and what they will do for/against you.

I find that the factions overall tend to hurt the SP more than they help. The Corsairs faction is a more reliable way to get to Dol Amroth than hoping the old event card comes up, but Aragorn is often in place with the Dead Men by that point, which bogs the attack down hugely. The spiders tend not to do much; the Dunlendings are more generally useful but overall I think the original "Rage of the Dunlendings" event card is better for a massive sudden build up.

The FP factions are a great/annoying help. The limited reinforcements rarely seems to be a major disadvantage, as I've never used up the SP factions enough for recycled reinforcement to really matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.